1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Postcards for my Niece

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by TonyPSchaefer, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    We still do (when allowed).

Ten years ago when I taught sixth grade I used to mummify a fish for the sixth grade unit on Egypt.

We went whole hog. The Science teacher caught the fish in the bay (similar to Nile perch), then we'd meet in the home economics room. He'd weight it, gut it, identify the parts and place them in canopic jars we had prepared. (babyfood jars with FIMO heads and alcohol.) Then I'd take it home over spring break and put it out in the sun in a box of salt and baking soda. After 3-4 weeks I'd bring it back and he'd weigh it again, we'd do some math calculations and he'd tell us if it was desicated.

Then the kids took over. They'd perfume it, wrap it with FIMO amulets, resin it (polyeurethane), place a death mask on it, put it in a coffin they had made and then in a sarcophagus. The tomb (display case in the library) had been prepared with wall friezes, they had made death scrolls and all accoutrements for the afterlife for the tomb. We'd then put on our costumes and have a funeral. The priests would do the "opening of the mouth", then we'd all adjourn to the room for an egyptian feast. Barley, lentils, fresh figs, pomegranate juice, flatbread and halva.

I met a kid years later and that's all he remembered.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Tony, how long will this postcard exercise be running? I'm going to be out west for awhile doing some rock climbing. If it will be going for another couple of weeks, I'll try to send a few along the way.

Tom

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Multiquoting:
    Thank you very much!

I do not believe there is a time limit on this. It's still way early in the school year so I'm guessing they might not have gotten to international geography yet. Bring on Guatemala!

That's awesome!

I have no idea. Hopefully it will span the entire school year and any time a card shows up they stop what they're doing and spend some time talking about it. So send what you want from wherever you find yourself.

And thanks again to everyone!

4. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just spotted this thread Tony, when I get home tonight, I'll dig around, for as often as my wife and I go the the Philippines we must have a postcard or two laying around that I can send. Also as much as I get around the country for work (you know glamor spots, Bismark, Des Moines, etc), I'll grab some and send them. And my kudos as well for your nieces' teacher :)

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Des Moines? That place is still around?

I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm about to get flamed by Iowans.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'll be going through there in a couple of days. If it's gone, I'll let you know.

Tom

7. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    How about an update on the great postcard project, Tony!