1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Posts being re-formatted ??

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by Easy Rider, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    And herein lies the problem:
    According to another post, there are several moderators in addition to the owner present here.
    They all should be seeing this thread......and others about problems with the forum........yet NONE OF THEM are making any comments at all.

Terrible customer service. Just absolutely terrible.

2. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Several of them actually.
    I installed Ad Blocker Plus with Chrome.
    Works perfectly.
    Improved the speed of all my forums.
    AND the problem with the post previews went away.....as if by magic.
    Highly recommended for any browser that you use.
    Also now I can read the posts without trying to figure out where the authors words leave off and the ads starts.

3. Beachnut

Beachnut Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  4. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    OK for those who think that posts are NOT being screwed with without notification..................
    I made the above post in a new thread titled something like "Solved my problems with the forum".
    That is why the first sentence really doesn't make sense.

It has NOTHING to do with "posts being reformatted" and has no business being put in THIS thread......yet it was......without explanation or notification.

If the owner or his official mods don't know anything about it being moved.......y'all had better search for a rogue moderator.

Not owning up to messing with users posts is just childish and cowardly. Shame.

Edit: CRAP. Now the post preview is not working again.
    Anyone else who is fed up with this mess is invited to join me at:
    [Redacted by @Danny]

#24 Easy Rider, Jun 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2014
  5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It makes sense to me to have a solution discussed in the same thread that introduced the alleged problem.

But no, it's "childish and cowardly", and we should all beware of a 'rogue moderator'. Sheesh. Enjoy your new forum :)

6. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have a solution for you complainers and whiners. Don't come here, find another blog. I really believe this is a ploy to gen up support for your new forum and to give Prius Chat a bad name. We don't need that here.

All of my posts are doing just fine and I have over 2000. The moderators and the owner have been awesome.

Thank you to the owner and the moderators.

xliderider likes this.
  7. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I don't appreciate your accusations.
    I have no personal interest in any of this......except to participate in a well run forum.

If you are going to have kids, pets or run a public forum, there are responsibilities that go along with it.
    If you can't take care of your obligations, you shouldn't have them.

8. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't really care if you appreciate my accusations or not.

Equating running a forum with having kids or pets makes absolutely no sense. Kids don't chose their parents, dogs don't chose their owners but forum goers chose their forums.

Please Easy, chose a different forum.

9. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Let's calm down a little bit with the rhetoric. I run the site, not some corporation like the site that you linked to (which I have removed). I have a great group of guys who help me moderate the site, all of which I know personally "in real life", and none of them would take the time out of their day to edit carriage returns in a post. We have much more fun ways to screw with people than that.

And, complaints about ads, then talking about AdBlocker, then complaining about customer service? Really? I'm looking now to see how much in a random donation you've sent the site to keep it running, but I can't seem to find it. Anyone who complains about customer service on a free site probably also complains when Facebook changes something on their site without properly vetting it with you.

I can appreciate people complaining about ads, but I have to test things to see what works and what doesn't. And that means running it for more than just a couple of days. I've now removed the ads within posts for logged-in users for a better user experience. This forum and the PriusChat Shop are my family's livelihood. Without income from ads, I have to either start making this a pay-to-play site (which I would hate) or shut it down and move on to the next phase of my life.

I sincerely appreciate everyone who either doesn't run AdBlocker or has priuschat.com setup as an excluded site. You help me pay for diapers and preschool and everything else that a 3 year old and a 8 month old seem to require to live.

10. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    OK, here's an explanation.
    Ten years ago when I got my Prius and signed up for Priuschat, I worked my 40-hour job and logged into Priuschat in the evenings. Sometimes I logged in from work but that was rare since my Manager wouldn't have appreciated that. My wife understood my newly-found infatuation with the Prius so I spent several hours per week reading Priuschat, posting to Priuschat, and then Moderating Priuschat.
    Ten years later, I have been promoted twice. 40 hours per week is now a minimum and I travel. I have additional home responsibilities and can't get on Priuschat as often as I would like. Because I have a Gen2, I even feel a little out-of-place with all the threads about Gen3 Liftback, c, and v.
    So where does that leave me now? I get on when I can but it's not as often as I would like. When I do sign in, there's usually a reported thread or post for me to review. Whereas I used to know all the players (many personally), I see all new names. Whereas I used to roll my eyes when a known member would get sarcastic or flippant, now I don't know who's who. So I fall back on my original Priuschat mantra: make this a site I would want my Mom to read. In the last ten years, neighbors, relatives and my mother-in-law have bought Prii and I have steered them all here. When I get to a thread and the posts have been reduced to bickering, splitting hairs for the sake of arguing, or repugnant name-calling, I start pruning. Sure: there's usually some good content mixed in so I prune carefully. Usually, I leave a note and/or warning to let people know I was there, what happened, and why it occurred. But sometimes I'm in a hurry or I get distracted.

In summary:
    • This is a volunteer position.
    • Doing this takes time.
    • I do not address insults levied against the PC Staff because if you personally knew any of us, you would realize just how silly insulting us makes you look.
    • Danny has a PayPal account and a family to feed. If you've learned anything on this site, feel free to chip in. Unless, of course, you paid for the recent software upgrade and new servers.

11. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    All the more reason to be more responsive to the needs of your "customers".

I quit. It is what it IS.
    Others can draw their own conclusions.

bisco, usnavystgc and TonyPSchaefer like this.
  12. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I will step in and say I merge multiple successive replies by the same person on a regular basis. Several one-line posts make a thread unreadable, as does a submitted quote followed by a single one-line reply in another post. Why? We want the site to be readable by everyone.

We also merge duplicate posts from time to time if members have posted replies in both, and it's a legitimate accidental dupe. We also relocate posts from time to time because they're posted in the wrong forum. When I do so, I leave a temporary redirect that will last 1-2 weeks.

We don't make it a habit to delete content w/o notifying, but like Tony said, we're busy people with real jobs, and sometimes we delete and move on - when we have time to respond at all.

TonyPSchaefer, Danny and ftl like this.
  13. KhaPhoRa

KhaPhoRa Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You'll notice I pruned your post; following your lead. You have the benefit of your original still existing though...

So what was wrong with the tailgate thread that required the whole thing to be deleted?
    What was wrong with the passing on the right thread that required the whole thing to be deleted (this one I can admittedly see pruning however it was still progressing towards a conclusion)
    If you don't have time to do it right maybe it's time to hang up the controls because someone is taking advantage of your lack of time and making you his puppet. He has a personal issue with one particular user (and he assumes I'm also that same person) and may be using your lack of time and unfamiliarity of new names to fulfill his vendetta.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't really believe he quit. a man can dream though...

15. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There are several things wrong with your post. I'll try to address them:
    • I'm not exactly sure what your pruning of my post accomplished or what my lead was. Which offensive material were you removing, per my lead: bickering, splitting hairs for the sake of arguing, or repugnant name-calling? Please elaborate.
    • You assume I am the one who touched the Tailgate thread. I was out of town on business last week and had no idea what the Tailgate thread was until I looked it up today.
    • You assume Danny has somehow tricked me. I am not easily tricked nor am I his puppet. We are friends.
    • Not only do we have a staff forum here on Priuschat, we have other online methods of real-time communication and email back and forth all the time. I can assure you Danny holds no vendettas.
    • As for thinking one person has multiple accounts, we check IP addresses to verify things like that. If any of us were ever concerned about multiple accounts, we would have checked a long time ago.
    I actually enjoy this because I have no problem explaining what Priuschat's core principles are and how we try to maintain thread legibility and peaceful interactions. What I can't understand is what you are getting out of this exchange.

16. KhaPhoRa

KhaPhoRa Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    1) irrelevant drivel unrelated to the topic being discussed.

2) assumed based on you speaking up about deleting threads. Let the person who deleted it speak up if it wasn't you.

3) now you're assuming. I wasn't referring to Danny at all. I'm thankful for what he has done, I like it here. I don't block ads and hope it helps a little.

4) I know you do. That didn't stop the user from #3 assuming I was a clone and no doubt filing a complaint that lead to the two threads being deleted.

My purpose in this thread is to find out why two other threads I spent a lot of time participating in were deleted without so much as an explanation (let alone a warning). Both times things were fine until user (who I won't bother to name) from #3 popped up and accused me and another user of being trolls (keep in mind that user didn't bother to participate in the thread, just make accusations). The next day the threads were gone, so I'm ASSUMING he filed a complaint and someone deleted them without bothering to actually read the content. My time is important too. I don't like it when my efforts are thrown away for no reason (in my opinion).

17. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I appreciate all the time and effort of the moderators.
    I know I have had problems with my browser or the wifi connection that resulted in multiple empty posts, and for the sake of all viewers I was glad some moderator cleaned up that mess. I had a post on specific hybrid taxes moved to Fred's House of Pancakes whereas I thought it was a serious problem, but that's a judgment call and fine with me.

18. KhaPhoRa

KhaPhoRa Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I appreciate what goes on here too. I just wish they'd treat us with a little more respect and take the time to verify complaints and or explain their reasons. They're all claiming to be too busy with life and I get that too, but I'm seriously sick of having my work be deleted because they don't have time to do things right.

19. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    @KhaPhoRa, your input is noted and appreciated.

KhaPhoRa likes this.