1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pot call kettle black

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, May 14, 2017.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm thinking apple is computers for idiots. maybe not the best for pro's, but no problems, and no knowledge required.

RCO likes this.
  2. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Only money, and lots of it please. Oh - and make that every year if you want the latest negligible improvement in a slightly different box/colour!

bisco likes this.
  3. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes I did put on a program recommended by a computer magazine when micro$oft were attempting to force the install of WX whether you wanted it or not, but I have successfully downloaded 2 updates since then. Now, zilch.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it is expensive, but hopefully will last much longer then my dell's, which fried the motherboards every 4-5 years, not to mention os and battery problems. time will tell i guess.

5. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, that's extended support. Like I said, big companies get that. You as a consumer generally do not. Your personal level support ended years ago.

This isn't true. I know, I know it effectively is. But that's because the software or installer is poorly written. There is absolutely nothing preventing software that runs on XP from running on Win7 or Win8 or Win10 that is in the way the code is written. What usually breaks is when software assumes blanket write permissions to anywhere on any drive, and then any OS with UAC enabled will barf. Or the stupidest one I see is when people write the installer to assume an OS! Basically in the installer they say if OS version is greater than X and less than Y which is some number larger than they want to support... Which then never gets changed and now that version number appears and it just refuses to install because of 1 line some idiot put in an installer check. If you manually install it, everything will work.

I've got lots of XP VM's that are routinely network connected. Never had a virus or intrusion on them. There are very few inherent vulnerabilities in XP that cannot be patched. Most all of the non targeted attacks can be blocked by running basic AV. If someone wants to get into your specific computer, there is nothing that will stop them. Doesn't matter if it is not network connected, someone will smuggle in an external drive or embed code in some hardware that otherwise should be inert, etc. These levels of worry should be reserved only for those with reason to be paranoid about being personally targeted.

6. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you're frying motherboards every 4-5 years you are either doing something wrong, are one of the unluckiest people, or just buying cheap junk in the first place.

Your apple laptop still has a battery and will fail. Except now you cannot replace it easily if at all. With most consumer and enterprise level Dells you just snap it off and snap a new one in. In my 2 current Alienware laptops (Dell brand like Lexus to Toyota) the battery requires about 10 minutes of laptop disassembly to get to but it still plugs in with a wire connector and screws. Recycle the old one and put in a new one and breathe new life into a system. Even my A-51 desktop has an internal battery that came with it. Gives it enough time to spin down platter drives and perform a save as well as light up little LEDs on the inside and outside of the case even without power so you can see what you're plugging in. And oh the ports, I love all these ports

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I take our pc's out in the driveway once a year or so, take the cover off the case, and have at 'em with a wet/dry vacuum set to blow. Also, set them to go to sleep when inactive, will pull less air through, easier on hard drives too.

bisco likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, the dell batteries are easy, but $100. every few years. idk why the motherboards fry, all i do is priuschat.:cool:
    i see that battues ply bulbs can change out an iPhone or laptop battery, don't know cost though.
    i can say that after 4 years, i don't see a noticeable loss in power, so i have to think apple uses a better battery.
    disclaimer: i know nothing about computers, i'm lucky i can turn it on and off.:p

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i thought you were going to say sledgehammer.:whistle:

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I just about did that with an HP printer... :cautious:

bisco likes this.
  11. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: bisco's #24, ( had to pause for meal intake) I hope so. Dell are not the most consistent on QA. Though my daughter has one and loves it!

#31 RCO, May 23, 2017
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
    bisco likes this.
  12. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No.

My emphasis below:
    So, consumer desktop operating systems get extended support.

RCO likes this.
  13. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    blow@27. This is probably a better way than mine. I just 'play' fan exhaust port like a harmonica. Previously ingested schnutz comes out of the intake.

Did as demo during a dinner with grad students here who, appropriately, did not appreciate such stuff lofted in their direction. This detracted from point I was trying to make; that forced ventilation needs maintenance even on 'smart' machines.

Also, if you live in 'radon' geology, that stuff will be radioactive. Another strike against doing this over dinner. Back in the day of cathode-ray displays, front screen collected 'radioactive fleas' in the same way. With something like a Geiger counter one can track decay rates.

RCO and Mendel Leisk like this.
  14. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    They are all lithium ion batteries. Most consumer end laptops use cylindrical cells packaged into an enclosure. Your laptop isn't cylindrical, so there will be some wasted space between the cell wall and the battery enclosure wall. Where there is air, there isn't battery, so there is less battery. Apple likes to use a lithium-ion polymer battery. Same stuff inside, it is just packaged differently. More like a battery baklava, with lots of little layers set down flat. It's not "new coke" vs. "coke classic", it is a plastic bottle versus an aluminum can.

You get about 1000 cycles out of a standard laptop battery.

RCO likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    but how do you translate that, when you only use 10-20% per use? and the charger keeps it topped up all the rest of the time? perhaps my usage habits are detrimental to the dell, or the apple charger is smarter?

RCO likes this.
  16. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Apple is rather well known in the industry for having really good battery management.

Even then, though, they do degrade - my mid-2012 15" Retina Display MacBook Pro was down to around 50% capacity after three years and around 1000 cycles, IIRC. It's just a fact of life with how deep laptops discharge and how full they charge.

The Dell machines that I support tend to do pretty decently in that regard, too, though - there's certainly some failures, but they're not common in my experience. (Disclaimer: I do work for Dell.)

One of the big killers of laptop batteries, though, is holding them at true 100% and keeping power pushed into them. They don't like to sit that high. (This is where I glare at the ThinkPads I've owned over the years, and their awful battery management that caused batteries to lose half their capacity in a year or less for me.)

RCO likes this.
  17. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just don't forget that among these lithium-ion / lithium-polymer batteries are numerous different chemistries with greatly difference characteristics. Some have better energy density, some have better power handling capacity, some have longer lifespans, some have greater thermal safety, some have different voltages, ...

These articles may be a bit dated, but illustrate many of the tradeoffs:
    http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/archive/understanding_lithium_ion
    Types of Lithium-ion Batteries – Battery University

RCO likes this.