1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Potassium Iodide as radiation protection for the thyroid

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by RobH, Mar 14, 2011.

1. davesrose

davesrose Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Considering you've been posting similar pictures at other times, Bob, it's seemed like you've bee inciting a global nuclear catastrophe (also considering you've assumed the Fukushima disaster *might* get into the jet stream). This and other pics of seen of the scene are of isolated *hydrogen* explosions. You'll notice there's no large plume that can enter the stratosphere. I have a medical degree myself, but I'm with Tom...I don't see any way for the current events in Japan to reach the US.

2. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Many people in the business who should have known better saw no way for the present situation to happen either.

Things aren't going as they were originally planned.[​IMG]

Had Bob had predicted right after the earthquake that the reactors would end up in the mess they are in today, people would have been calling him an alarmist then.

3. davesrose

davesrose Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

No matter how bad it gets, it's still not the scale of Chernobyl. From the current reports, I feel for the people of the area....but I still have yet to see any reason for concern anywhere close to the US.

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    To be sure this will be very bad for a 50km radius around the stricken plant

It really can't be compared to Chernobyl. First of all, Chernobyl was a flawed design, no containment. It used graphite as a moderator, very bad

Second, the personnel did an unsanctioned "experiment" that caused a rapid peak power excursion. Some have speculated a very small nuclear event did happen

Nucleate boiling of the water inside, and sudden steam voids, certainly caused by the 10X power excursion beyond design limits, caused the massive explosion that blew the top off the reactor itself

The graphite moderator began burning, and the explosion combined with burning graphite allowed widespread dispersal of contamination.

The reactors in Fukushima automatically shut down when the earthquake struck. But they need constant cooling anyway, it takes a LONG time before the fuel cools enough to be left alone. Hence the need for the swimming pools to hold the spent fuel bundles at power plants

Probably won't be any more very large explosions, but as those spent fuel ponds boil dry more local radiation, very intense, will be released. Similar events happened at the old Mayak weapons production plant in the Urals, many times the radiation from Chernobyl was released in accidents over the years, such as a 1957 explosion at a high level underground waste tank that overheated

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyshtym_disaster]Kyshtym disaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

The large Lake Karachay nearby was used to store the high level liquid waste from the weapons processing plant. When portions of this lake dried out, a windstorm blew very dangerous amounts of radioactive dust over the region

The Mayak facility was where Gary Powers was supposed to photograph but his U2 was shot down before it got to the mission

So we have a tragedy happening in Japan, in addition to the earthquake and tsunami that already happened.

1 person likes this.
  5. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Suppose there is a meltdown in 1,2 or 3.
    The fuel melts and burns though the containment vessel and when it reaches water creates a huge steam explosion.Dispersing radioactive steam up up and away.
    Just like the hot air balloons from WWII would climb into the jet stream.No balloon ,but hot air and radioactivity in the jet stream none the less .Especially in their winter climate.A huge volume of steam would go high.

6. davesrose

davesrose Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

You seem to be ignoring the fact that all reactors were shut down right when the earthquake started. All the current energies have been cooling the reactors....if they stopped having any attention on them now, they still would not be the magnitude of Chernobyl since it was an explosion right when the reactor was operating at 97%. Whatever the worst case is now for the Fukushima reactor, there's no way it would reach upper atmospheres as much as Chernobyl did (and even with that, there wasn't a mass radiation hysteria in Europe).

7. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    They were shut down but they are still melting.

8. davesrose

davesrose Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

They are still "cooling"...."melting"...."meltdown".....that's still into the future: [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_meltdown]Nuclear meltdown - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

I have yet to see any reason to be concerned anywhere close to the US.

9. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Just got back from a short vacation. Sorry I missed out on the discussion.

There is an interesting blog by Dr. David Brownstein about iodine. He has unique experience with the effects of iodine supplementation. The short story is that about 95% of his patients are deficient in iodine. One result of this deficiency is an affinity for any available iodine, be it radioactive or not. Most people in Japan consume much more iodine in their diet, and thus are less vulnerable to ingesting radioactive iodine.

The blog is at Dr. David Brownstein - Holistic Family Medicine

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    A steam explosion as you describe would lack the necessary power to get up into the jet stream. All of this is very bad for Japan, but I don't see any scenario where meaningful amounts of radiation can get to the U.S.

Tom

11. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well aware of the need for some to have iodine supplements. My family has a history of thyroid problems which I have so far managed to avoid

12. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The northern jet... and neaner neaners...

Soooo...

The jet stream did bring over a measurable amount of radiation just as quick as it was said too...

So folks saying it couldn't happen are once again trying to spin or call folks foolish for even mentioning it.

Of course, measurable and deadly are quite far apart on the scale at this distance from the events... nevertheless, it did bring over the radiation exactly as predicted...

And it did cause lots of fools to poison themselves Stateside...

Soooo... the jet stream has caused a large number of Americans to now be poisoned... just not with what they thought it was going to be... :D

13. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Re: The northern jet... and neaner neaners...

Not just measurable and deadly, but measurable and biologically significant. What this demonstrates is that we now have very, very sensitive instrumentation.

The claim that was made, and still stands, is that no biologically significant amounts of radiation will make it to the U.S.

It is important to realize that there are measurable amounts of radiation all around us and in us. Every single atom of your body is radioactive. How is that for a thought? It kind of makes you want to move away from yourself.

;)

Tom

14. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

I am pleased to hear that there is some kind of activity in my body:D

1 person likes this.
  15. rcf@eventide.com

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ". Every single atom of your body is radioactive. How is that for a thought? It kind of makes you want to move away from yourself."

I occasionally want to move away from myself. And I suppose that I will eventually decay. But HUH? The body is almost all stable isotopes, and unless you're talking about proton decay (which remains hypothetical) I don't think this makes sense. Please explain!

Richard

16. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yet some people seem to be much hotter than others. :p

It's the neuron decay that worries me. ;)

17. davesrose

davesrose Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Well I don't know about myself....I kind of do worry a little with the big radio tower that's close to my house (it generates audible interference in several of my amps). As far as nuclear radiation hitting the US, I am going to stay indoors all the time, because during the day I'm always seeing that glowing ball of nuclear energy in the sky:eek::D

18. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Carbon 14. All organic cells take up carbon 14, which then naturally decays over time. While you are living, your intake of carbon 14 maintains an equilibrium with its natural decay. When you die you stop the intake, so the ratio diminishes with time. This is the basis of carbon dating.

Tom

19. davesrose

davesrose Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Carbon 14 exists in trace amounts...carbon 12 is the most prevalent, and then there's carbon 13. Radon is one of the most common ionizing radioactive isotopes that Americans get exposed to. AFAIK, the greatest concentration of radioactive isotopes that the human body has is potassium 40 (since it has a higher concentration with other potassium concentrations). A 70kg person, for example, has 4400 nuclei of K 40 decay per second.

1 person likes this.