1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Potential Buyer and Newbie Looking for Some Advice

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Barlowclan, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Barlowclan

Barlowclan New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hey there everyone. Great site with tons of info. I've learned a fair amount after knowing absolutely nothing prior to finding this site.

Here's my dilemma.... My 16 year old wants a Prius. We found a 2008 with 168k miles. Battery was replaced at 165k at a dealer according to Toyota Vin records. Then it was traded in on something making its way to a used dealer lot. The price is right at 4300 including ttl, but I am finding myself unsure on pulling the trigger. BTW, my daughter is paying for this with her savings, so expanding the budget isn't really there. So here's a few concerns...

It sounds a little rickety, with squeeks and interior rattles. Is that pretty normal for a 2008 with 168k?

There is a audible noise while the car runs and after it shuts off coming from the driver's side wheel area. Any ideas what this could be?

Cost of ownership is concerning to me... Is this car something to avoid for a teenager? I don't want to be elbows deep in repair costs for her. Are there certain things I should be looking specifically for?

Outside of the battery life, what is the life expectancy of a 2008?

Would a Vin help with giving advice? JTDKB20U383361850 if so.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated as I am an old school Chevy Silverado owner that's trying to help his daughter find something she likes, while not being too familiar with the Prius at all.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There are 2 batteries in this car, it's highly unlikely someone paid $3500 for a new hv battery and then trade it in 3000 miles later. I think the battery that was replaced was the small $200 12v battery.

There also could be other issues with this car, most people recommend replacing the 12v battery first when unknown issues arise. So getting rid of it 3000 miles later is a bit suspicious

scona, kenoarto, SFO and 1 other person like this.
  3. Mavi

Mavi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Hey there everyone. Great site with tons of info. I've learned a fair amount after knowing absolutely nothing prior to finding this site.

Here's my dilemma.... My 16 year old wants a Prius. We found a 2008 with 168k miles. Battery was replaced at 165k at a dealer according to Toyota Vin records. Then it was traded in on something making its way to a used dealer lot. The price is right at 4300 including ttl, but I am finding myself unsure on pulling the trigger. BTW, my daughter is paying for this with her savings, so expanding the budget isn't really there. So here's a few concerns...

Thats not bad to be honest with the new battery in there.. i'd try to get it to 3.5k and take it. A new oem battery is like 1700 or so.. and lasts 8-10 years.
    It sounds a little rickety, with squeeks and interior rattles. Is that pretty normal for a 2008 with 168k?
    Depends.. Mine doesn't rattle..at 215k.

There is a audible noise while the car runs and after it shuts off coming from the driver's side wheel area. Any ideas what this could be?
    The gurgling noise.. is just air in the coolant.. bubbling. It seems to be normal.. could just need a simple bleeding.

Cost of ownership is concerning to me... Is this car something to avoid for a teenager? I don't want to be elbows deep in repair costs for her. Are there certain things I should be looking specifically for?

Biggest costs on the prius is the Battery, inverter if not already changed under warrenty.. most were. Followed by the transmission and engine which generally last a long time but consume a lot of oil.. check it's oil consumption. In cali, this leads to the cat eventually failing. Generally though if the battery is fine and the engine and trans are fine. You should be good for another 60-70k miles. It's a fairly reliable car outside of the battery failing and the engine consumption annoyances.

Outside of the battery life, what is the life expectancy of a 2008?

Would a Vin help with giving advice? JTDKB20U383361850 if so.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated as I am an old school Chevy Silverado owner that's trying to help his daughter find something she likes, while not being too familiar with the Prius at all.

Note: If the big battery wasn't changed and it was the small one.. I'd avoid as this is a 1600 minimum repair (toasters battery is sold on prius chat for 1600 new)..the drive by repairs for 400-800 dollars don't cut it and will fail in a few months to a year.

4. Barlowclan

Barlowclan New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    That was exactly what went through my mind, but after some research on the VIN the actual invoice shows the below:

C/S RED TRIANGLE LIGHT IS ON ~|~ ~|~163118 CEL FOUND P0AA6 PERF ORMED INSPECTIONAND FOUND SHORT IN HV BATTERY. REMOVED COVERAND FOUND CELLS ARE LEAKING. REPLACE D HVBATTERY AND TEST DROVE. SYST EM HAS RETURNEDTO NORMAL. 8.00HR

PARTS
    NAME
    PART # QTY
    INVERTER INV#89045642 1
    BATTERY ASSY, HV SUP G951047031

Running a search on that part number pulls up a Toyota battery. The service was done at a reputable Toyota dealer in Austin, TX.

kenoarto and SFO like this.
  5. Barlowclan

Barlowclan New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    It's not a gurgling sound at all. It sounds more like a fan. Is there a fan that runs during operation and after shutting off?

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Shocking, that is the hv battery. If the car is in good shape, it's a great deal.

I suggest bringing it to Toyota dealer for a prepurchase inspection, will cost you maybe 2 hours labor but it'll give you peace of mind.

The sound from the driver's wheel is normal, it's the thermos pump working for 10 seconds at start and shutdown

SFO likes this.
  7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What you are hearing is probably the CHRS (Coolant Heat Recovery System) running to store hot coolant in a thermos type container at shutdown. It then pumps that coolant back into the engine block to pre-heat and get the car up to temperature quicker. It is all in aid of lower emissions at the tailpipe.

The other noise you will hear when car is off is the brake accumulator pump running to keep pressure in the brake system, as the car runs for significant time with the engine off, it can't use manifold vacuum like non-hybrids do.

Both normal sounds and nothing to worry about.

Hope that helps.

SFO likes this.
  8. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    In the gen 2 (2004 to 2009) they used a 'thermos' under the driver's headlight to store hot coolant so the car would warm up faster. When the car is stopped, coolant is pumped to the Heat Storage System, and when restarted, it is pumped back out.

I bet this is the noise you hear. It is normal.

[​IMG]

Do not try this at Home!

[​IMG]

SFO and Raytheeagle like this.
  9. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Given that it appears to have not only a new HV battery, but also a new Inverter, that is a SCREAMING deal, provided the car is in otherwise good condition.

10. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OK how did you do that fantastic research? Is it public info?

11. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'd check in with the Toyota dealer in Austin and verify that it was a new OEM hybrid (traction) battery put in. And if so, what is the warranty. The warranty differs whether the dealer or someone else installs it.

I always looked for a used Prius with a new OEM battery installed. But the owner always tried to pass on the cost of the new battery to the next owner. This could be a good deal, depending on the KBB value.

12. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Noise over bumps? Even with brand new struts you will still feel the bumps. But it shouldn't sound like a part is loose and about to fall off, and you shouldn't hear rattling over bumps....But you'll definitely feel them a little (as with all cars, especially trucks).

Ya, they pretty much run forever. I just crossed 170K today and would want around $4000 give or take a couple hundred. So the price is fair.

The best thing is to take it to a mechanic for them to tell you what is broke and needs fixing.

Cost of ownership is basically 0. You spend $16 at the gas station and come back 1-4 weeks later depending on how much you drive and spend another $16.

Keep an eye on oil level check it every 1500 miles.

Don't pass up on it because it needs a couple things. No car is going to be perfect at $4000. The fact that the hybrid battery was replaced is a huge plus.

Carfax is 1 owner Austin area entire life. Had an accident in the front (assuming very minor otherwise would specify major damage) only months after it was bought....

You can go HERE: Track Your Service Records with Your Toyota Owners Account

To enter vin and get further info.

@ 161K brakes were measured at 8mm (10mm is new) and they are known to last up to 200K miles so brakes are good.
    @ 161K they replaced the inverter
    @163K they replaced the hybrid battery.

Seems like a good buy even if you have to spend an additional $500 or so to get it running top notch.

1.PNG 2.PNG 3.PNG 4.PNG 5.PNG

SFO likes this.
  13. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    They did the mass air flow sensor and coolant control valve at 116K.

Now, there is something very dramatic that happened in July of 2015 with 129K miles.....

wow.PNG

To make you feel better I have had this happen twice to me (except never got lights on the dash). I bought a gold Toyota Prius with 142K miles that was very clean....I drove it and drove it, "It's a Prius, they last forever"....I must have went at least 7K miles before pulling into oil change shop. He said there was nothing on my dipstick! From that day forward I was more cautious about checking the oil level. And it ran perfectly fine until I sold it with 180K and bought a replacement.

Another time I bought a 2011 and only drove it 1 or 2 days before checking dipstick for first time. Nothing on it! I sold that one too and it was running very strong just like the gold one with 180K was.

The gas motor is very hard to kill. If it's been 40K miles I am sure it had 0 impact on it. It is unbelievably common for gen 2 and gen 3 owners to find out they have nothing on their dipstick!

But I would print that note out and show to dealer and try for $3800 out the door.

Let's just say your Prius for sure burns oil....No doubt. But it's really not a big deal. You just time it to where dipstick is somewhere between min and middle level (usually 2000 miles or so) and add a quart. That isn't so serious and you pretty much never hear of a bad gas motor on a gen 2 prius.

SFO likes this.
  14. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Edit: The note says customer drove 12,000 miles without checking oil. That is actually very impressive and way longer than most people LOL.....It may not burn oil after all because that is a very long run.

For example, I don't consider my 2008 to burn oil because I am still between middle and full after going 4000 miles. However, it does burn off a very minuscule amount (because I can see it is not at 100% full when I change it). But not enough where I have to even check it between changes or worry about it. But if I went 12,000 miles I guarantee it would be a couple quarts low with nothing on dipstick.

So it is hard to say whether it burns oil or not. 90% of them would be bone dry if they drove it 12,000 miles before checking it.

#14 MilkyWay, Mar 15, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    SFO likes this.
  15. golfmk681

golfmk681 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ohhhhhhhh thanks for the info. This car makes funny noises.