1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

potential flood damage?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by xxkhakimanxx, Sep 9, 2012.

1. xxkhakimanxx

xxkhakimanxx New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi everyone,

About a week ago there was a heavy rainstorm. I drove through a deep puddle or two (I can't remember how deep, but definitely noticeable) but I wasn't in any one of them for longer than a minute. I made it home without any issues and my prius has been starting and running fine ever since.

There was no standing water on the interior of the car at all. The carpets were slightly wet but I assumed that was just due to me getting in to the car when I was soaked. The car has smelled swampy since then but has been diminishing over time, so I left things alone. Today, I checked the backseat and heard some sloshing water under the carpet. I took a look at the insulation (jute?) and noticed that it is pretty soaked.

So now I am very concerned and have some overall questions.

1) Is my car considered "flood damaged"?
    2) Is my car at any significant risk right now?
    3) Should I be concerned about any of the computers/electric components of my car?
    4) Besides having the car checked out by a professional, is there anything else I can/should do right now?

Thanks!

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    1) No, you just have some wet carpets
    2) If you are not having any troubles I would say no.
    3) If you are not having any troubles by now I would say no.
    4) Just have it checked by a professional to give you some peace of mind.

3. xxkhakimanxx

xxkhakimanxx New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My main concern is about mold, considering how wet the padding under the carpet is.

What's the best way to handle this?

4. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had an AC condensate drain on my Jeep plug up one time and totally soaked the passenger carpet and pad. I just pulled the pad out from underneath and hung it on a line to dry out. I raised the carpet and put a block of wood under it to let the carpet and the floorboard air and dry out. Worked fine.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, you should be concerned. You would have to remove the seats, center console, and any trim around the carpet, so that the carpet and padding can be removed and dried.

If this is too much for you to deal with, visit a local auto upholstery shop for help.

6. Ct. Ken V

Ct. Ken V Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    all,

One thing I'm wondering about here is if the rubber plugs that some people have found in a plastic bag (labeled "Important") in their car when it was new, ever got installed in this poster's car. That could be why the OP's car floor mats & pads got so wet just by going through a couple of deep puddles. I would have the car put up on a lift & check underneath for a couple of open oval cutouts in the floor pan (they are ovals, aren't they?). I know the car isn't new, but this may be the first time this car has been exposed to so much water.

I don't understand why those rubber plugs aren't installed at the factory, but are left for either a dealer or car owner to install. Not everything in a plastic bag in the cabin of a new car gets installed before delivery to the customer. That may be because it/they may not be on the PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection) checklist or it is just due to the lack of concern/integrity/professionalism by the person performing the PDI. Why would Toyota expect the new owner to have to crawl under his/her brand new car to figure out where they go & install them themselves? Or, if things like this aren't still in a bag in the car at delivery time AND they have NOT been installed on the car either, then why are the PDI employees not doing their jobs properly?

Just a couple of examples of the lack of thoroughness of the PDI people at the dealerships : We had a recent female poster ask what the bag containing the rubber plugs was for, since she found it in her new car when she got it home. She had asked her husband because the bag was labeled "Important", but he told her not to worry about them because they were NOT important. Then there's my own personally witnessed situation when a new Prius (that had already been through the PDI process) was being delivered & the salesman (who was very thorough) was explaining the operation of various features of the car to the new owner & also double checking that everything was done properly by the people in the rear of the shop before allowing his sale to go out the door to the new owner. The salesman discovered that the relay box just below the windshield & the wiper transmission linkages & right above the air filter box was completely empty of relays(they come in a plastic bag too---but not sure if they are labeled "Important" also).

His 5 missing relays ARE important. The position of the large gray one at the left is labeled PS HTR (whatever that is), followed by a smaller light blue one for fog lights (not everybody gets this one---but all the rest are the same size & color as this one). By the way, how did this man's Prius pass the visual inspection for his lights without his fog lights working? The next 2 are for PTR HTR #1 & #2, then a skipped space for DRL & RR FOG (only used for Canada & other foreign countries). The last one for us is another small light blue one for CHS (the coolant heat storage pump---important for the Prius's P-ZEV/SULEV pollution classification/rating). I would have thought this man's Prius would have thrown a trouble code without that coolant heat storage pump working in the system (I know it throws a code if a valve sticks). "This man's" (used twice in this paragraph), being the situation I witnessed, NOT meaning the OP in post #1

None of the rest of the relay slots have any labels on the inside of the cover for the relay box. So why would the PDI guy not have installed these? (I had heard that had been happening a lot there). I'm wondering if dealers of cars delivered in Texas, New Mexico, or Arizona would instruct PDI guys not to install the 2 relays for PTR HTR's #1 & #2 (for mild, electrically created heat for defrosting the windshield before the engine coolant has had a chance to warm sufficiently to do the job) only to re-stock into their parts department what came in your car (& you've already paid for) to later allow them to re-sell those relays to you or somebody else later once you're out of warranty & discover after a trip up north that the mild, electrically created heat doesn't work.

Anyways, I hope the OP gets his car on a lift & checks for open holes missing their rubber plugs somewhere on his floor pan & if he does find them missing, gets the dealer to provide them & install them free. After all, it was their job to do it 3 years ago when his PDI was getting done. Maybe the dealer should help the owner remove seats, console, trim, etc. & help dry his carpets for free if the dealer did indeed neglect to install those rubber plugs. I would want to be right there when the lift goes up to witness whether or not the plugs are there.

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

7. xxkhakimanxx

xxkhakimanxx New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I found a shop that can replace the carpet and padding by the end of the month. Will this be too long to stave off the mold? What can I do to keep the mold away from my seats/ac ducts/other interior components until then?

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, a lot can happen over a 20 day period, from now to the end of the month. In the meantime, perhaps you can park your car in the sun and keep the windows open so that some of the moisture will dissipate.

9. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    In 2000 Mr. Goodwrench tried to deliver an Intrigue without washer fluid. I suspect it happens everywhere.

10. His&hers

His&hers Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    This past March my wife's 2008 Prius was in a parking lot that had accumulated water from a majorly heavy downpour, but didn't get into the car as far as she could tell as the carpets were dry to the touch. A month later a pungent, mold smell began in the interior. Not suspecting water damage, we tried cleaning the interior with dish soap & baking soda, vinegar & water, enzyme based stain & odor remover, two days of an ozone generator and an interior steam-clean detailing; nothing touched it. As we are in South Texas where the A/C is always on, we began to suspect the evaporator coil. We purchased the Toyota part#00289ACRKT Air Conditioning Refresher Kit and applied it through the A/C coil drain tube as directed; with no reduction in odor, we then clean & rinsed the evaporator coil with NuCalgon Calbright; no avail. As the mileage was 48,000, we knew that we were out of warranty, but as a last resort we went to the Toyota dealer this past Thursday. They examined the traction and 12 volt battery compartments free of charge; but the technician was sure that the car had been flooded. We agreed to removal of seats & carpet. Under the driver's side carpet, front & rear were growths of blackish and pinkish (and other colors--it was a mess) mold/bacteria cultures; it seems just enough water had seeped by the floor board plugs to wet under the carpet pad without getting through the impermeable backing of the carpet. As it had been five & a half months since March, all of the carpet & pad was removed. The Toyota service had no means of removing the imbedded mold/bacteria cultures underneath the carpet pad, therefore my wife spent Friday & Saturday in their service department scrubbing the floorboards with straight concentrated bleach and leaving bleach saturated towels on the imbedded mold/bacteria cultures overnight. She used 1 tablespoon laundry soap and 1 tablespoon concentrated bleach/gallon of water to scrub the headliner and all other parts of the interior still in the car. The seats and everything removable were also done. She used nothing with scent in order to know that the mold/bacteria odor was eliminated, not masked. On Monday, Toyota service installed the new carpet & pad, seats, etc. The foam bottom of the rear seat absorbed the odor to such an extent that it is still airing out outside. At this point in time the odor is about 95% better and we are continuing to keep the windows and the hatchback open under the carport.

11. subjective

subjective Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have watched Pros that remove mold in houses use hydrogen peroxide to remove mold. We have used this same technique to remove mold, stains and dirt and it works for us.

12. Ct. Ken V

Ct. Ken V Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hey, JimN,

How about a dodge dealer delivering a brand new Dodge pick-up to a friend of mine years ago with NO OIL in the crank case (only to have the engine seize up & get destroyed before he got home with his new truck---NO holes or leaks in the oil pan) & have the dealer try to blame it on the new buyer (my friend). The real disappointment for him was that the dealer refused to REPLACE the engine (they would only rebuild the toasted one---at about 6 miles on the odometer). I never did find out how that worked out because he moved way far away & we never kept in touch after (not a real close friend---more like a work acquaintance).

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

13. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Be aware that sloshing your hearing is the swimming pool in the trunk. Open hatch and lift spare tire cover off and take spare tire out. Dry that out and also pay attention to the accumulated water around the 12 volt battery hole in that trunk area also.

14. subjective

subjective Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Dry it first. Then spray it with hydrogen peroxide and when dry will form a powder which can be swept up etc. This is what I have seen pros do for mold on molded house carpet and wood. I did this myself on a flooded house we owned when told about it by a contractor. When the pros do this for an insurance Co. on a house they charge them big money.

15. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    To the hijacker his&hers.....OMG:eek::eek::eek:!!!!!

And to the OP I would maybe get the Insurance Co involved. Could get alot more $$$ than the deduct.
    I would replace the padding and the carpet because you may not be happy with how it smells with just a clean up and then you would have to take the entire car apart again. Some people smell real good and some don't. A forever stinky car is a ruined car.

16. dhendriksen

dhendriksen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This is concerning...look what I just found in the back of my 3 year old Prius!

I live in Utah, we have wet winters. I'm guessing I should get these installed ASAP? Where do they go and what do they do?

DROID RAZR ? 2

Attached Files:

17. Ct. Ken V

Ct. Ken V Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    dhendriksen,

I would go back to your selling dealer (or any dealer for that matter) & ask them why their guy didn't install these plugs when they did the PDI (pre-delivery inspection). And tell the service manager you want to be beside the car when they put it up on the lift so the tech can show you where they go. You shouldn't have to pay anything for this service now because they were supposed to do it for free 3 years ago when they did the PDI. I don't even know if mine are in place in my '05. I'll have to ask to be shown during my 135,000 mile service this week or next week.

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

18. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I know that this is a bit late for the OP, but in case someone has a similar issue here goes. Prior to my Prius I had a VW Passat with a leaky sunroof (yes I know, surprise, surprise). The issue with my sunroof was that the drains would clog very easily and until I figured out that I needed to check them monthly I would occasionally have the same sort of issue - lots of water under the carpet and padding, for me under the rear seats. I was able to pull up a portion of the carpet and liner next to the door. I'd start by parking on a slope so the low point would be where I had access. I'd then shove towels in to soak up the water and follow that up by propping the carpet up with soda cans to allow the area to air dry. After it was dry I'd spray in some lysol and put it all back together. It was not the greatest, but it did work.

19. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I found those exact plugs in a bag in my car. Where do they go?

Mike

20. dhendriksen

dhendriksen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No clue. I hope to find out this week.

DROID RAZR ? 2