1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Potential Gen 3 inverter failure?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by TheKracken5, Mar 16, 2018.

1. TheKracken5

TheKracken5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    so I posted yesterday because my car wouldn't turn on, I got a jump and the hybrid system shut it down right away. So I got a tow home and went and bought a new OEM 12v battery today. It started right up.

I suspect now that my inverter pump might have failed. I don't have any codes now that the battery was changed, but when I started the car I immediately smelled something like burning plastic, but I am also in redneck country where they burn anything. I don't smell it anymore.

I checked the inverter coolant reservoir and I do not see any movement in ready mode and just light ripples when my wife put the gas on (engine movement I am sure).

I have owned a lot of hybrids and replaced quite a few hybrid batteries along with installing grid charges but I have no idea how to deal with the inverter. My wife and I just had a baby and can not afford an expensive repair. I hoping there is an easy fix for this. Or hopefully there is nothing wrong.

I also hear a light electrical type buzz when the car is in ready mode. Can't recall if I heard that before. I only hear it when I am outside with the hood open.

#1 TheKracken5, Mar 16, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  2. TheKracken5

TheKracken5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I also checked to see what recalls the car needed and the only one it shows on toyotaowners is a safety recall to do with some bracket. Nothing on the inverter programming that I have seen mentioned. But I also don't see that specifically listed in the service history either. My car is a rebuilt title and I have no idea if they will fix this under warranty because of that.

3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A rebuilt or salvage title is explicitly excluded from Toyota warranties & recalls IIRC.
    Somebody (or company) at some time already deemed the car too expensive to fix.

Raytheeagle likes this.