1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Potential Prius Owner with a Baby

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by wallstreet777, Jan 31, 2012.

1. wallstreet777

wallstreet777 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi All, ive followed this forum for some time and have become very interested in a Prius! I have a 7 Month old baby boy and wondered how well a rear facing car seat fits? Im 6'1 and want to make sure my wife and I have plenty of room. Also how does the Prius scale out, in the event we have another child. Anyone out there with 2 car seats??

Thanks everyone!

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes indeed we just made the trip from the hospital last week. Gramps here. We had two car seats in the back. The 2 year olds seat I put behind me. It is upright. The rear facer for the infant I put on the passenger side because I would have had to scrunch it with my seat all the way back. Probably need front seat to come up ~2-inches for easy fit. Both seats tethered to the metal hooks Toyota provides for this purpose behind rear seat.

May want to take your car seat to dealer to check fit because your seat may be different brand, and I am not sure how the space compares in later model years.

As far as Prius is great for family use- sort of a mini SUV with few if any limitations. Put a roof top box up there and you can substitute for mini-van hauling ability in many cases. Suggest you consider wagon style Prius v for your situation.

3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome aboard! I suggest just going to a test spin or rent with the seat installed. Best way to tell...

4. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    1 person likes this.
  5. brewcrew9

brewcrew9 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    We have a 2 and 4 year old with child seats in the back. I am also 6'2" and feel like I have plenty of room in this car. Yes my 2004 taurus had extra room, but not enough that I miss it at all and I love the Gas savings, ect. We loved it so much we bought 2 2011 Prius cars. Everyone is different in their expectations, so I would go the dealer with seats and everything you need for most car rides and take a test ride. But my family has never looked back with any regrets and actually are amazed at the room in the Gen 3 (2010-current) models.

6. SmellyTofu

SmellyTofu Average punter

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a rear facing capsule for my son and it fits just fine. Boot fits the bugaboo pram neatly too.

7. K1tty

K1tty New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just got a 2011 Prius and tested out our MASSIVE Recaro baby seat. It fits a lot better in the Prius rear-facing than it does in our Subaru Legacy. The door height and seat height make a big difference.

8. wsumba

wsumba New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Our 7, 3, & 2 year old fit perfectly in the back seat. I'm 6'3" and still have plenty of room up front.

9. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  10. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My three kids are 10, 10 and 12 and they fit in the back seat!

As for car seat, I've been through that! My advice is to test-fit the seat, which you ought to be able to do at Babies R Us. Don't get attached to a specific seat as the only seat good enough for your baby (who will pee on it, throw up on it, and drop food into all it's recesses). Get one that fits well; that will be the safest way to go. Front-facing fit matters most, because the seats aren't rear-facing for very long.

11. hadone

hadone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not a problem with our 2 grandchildren. One rear on front.

12. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to the group, as long as you can keep them from getting behind the wheel and speeding away to Baby World, it should work out fine!