1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Potential Prius Purchase

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by WKiss, Sep 28, 2012.

1. WKiss

WKiss New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello!

Newbie in the house.

I have been looking at this 2005 prius with package 5 with under 50k miles at a local dealership. It isn't certified but it is a one owner prius so my hope is that it wasn't abused. I appreciate it if I could get some help from you guys before I make my decision to purchase it.

I was wondering what kind of special maintenance is required to keep this car alive. I know that after so many years/miles the battery might have to be replaced (which can cost a couple thousand?) but as far as standard maintenance, how reliable is this car and how much money does it cost to upkeep? And as far as things going bad, what are things to look at when I go to check out this car? I don't want to walk in and buy it and find out things are missing or broken.

This car really appeals to be because the amount of money that I spend on gas monthly with my current car would be the same as the payment I would make for this prius plus the gas to fill it up.

Thanks in advance!

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! if the carfax etc. says the car has been trouble and accident free, it should be a great car depending on how many miles you are looking to get out of it. keep in mind, there is always the million in one shot that something can go wrong costing you $4-5000. dollars. not likely, but always possible. all the best!

3. WKiss

WKiss New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks!

With the car under 50k miles, I plan to have this car while I go through school and not have to pay a lot on repairs.

The last used car I purchased was an impulse buy and I found out that I had to do over $700 in repairs once I got home... I was furious. But I did get the car that I wanted once I dealt with the problems.

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    About* every four years, it will need a $200 12 volt battery
    About* every 250,000 miles, it will need a $2000 HV Battery
    If you try to jump start your Prius rather than replace the 12 volt battery at the first sign of weakness, a new inverter is about* $4000
    Failing to change the transmission fluid at 30,000 then every 60,000 may lead to a $5000 transaxle replacement.
    Bleeding the brakes needs to be done at the dealer, but is only needed about* each 200,000 miles.

* For loose definitions of about

5. WKiss

WKiss New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Gotchya..

What about jumping someone else's car? Will I fry something doing that?

6. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well, a 2005, one owner Prius w/ 50k would definitely have my interest. In my experience, I have two Prius' and I have had nothing but a positive experience with both. The Prius has been rated as one of the most dependable vehicles in its class and it took top honors last year and in 2009. It really doesn't need anything special. I find it needs way less maintenance than most cars (brakes last over 100,000 miles, engines rarely go bad, transmission has fewer moving parts (very reliable)) just a great car overall.
    I haven't had nearly the bad luck Jimbo (above) had but as you can see, he loved his so much, he bought a 2012. There are some things that are different about the Prius that you should know but it doesn't mean more money to maintain.

For example:
    1) The Prius AC compressor is electrical vice mechanical and therefore uses ND-11 oil instead of standard AC comp oil.
    2) There is no starter
    3) There is no alternator
    4) There is a thermos that stores engine coolant to attempt to limit engine warm up time (this will make a funny, pumping sound after you turn the car off)
    5) The power steering pump is electrical
    6) The brakes are electrical and regenerative (which makes them nearly maintenance free for about 100,000 + miles)
    7) The 12V battery is small and a weak 12v may cause unexplained errors (simply replacing it will clear up the errors)
    8) The engine shuts off at stoplights and nearly every time you let off the gas
    9) It gets 50 mpg's
    10) If you're jumping the car and hook up the jumper cables backwards, you can/will kill the inverter

I'm sure there are more but, you get the idea. I think its an awesome vehicle and I would probably jump on this car (but I don't know all the details). Is it nice? Does it look well taken care of? How much do they want for it? etc.

7. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You don't want to jump someone elses car with the Prius b/c the 12v in a Prius is too small/weak to start a normal car. It can probably be done but, I wouldn't recommend it.

8. WKiss

WKiss New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't been to the dealership to actually see it because of work but the internet salesman that I'm talking with said it has been taken care of. Its dark red with beige interior. I hate the beige but I'll get over it. They want 11,900 for it. All service has been done at this dealership.. I guess that's a good thing.

9. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sounds like a great deal to me. I would try to get it for $11k. Where's it at? What website?

10. WKiss

WKiss New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm afraid someone will jump on it while I'm at work...

11. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You may have taken what Jimbo said there the wrong way. It is very easy to jump start a Prius as the current required to "boot" it is quite low compared to that required to "crank" a regular car. There is a jump point under the hood for just this purpose, and it nice and clearly marked +ive underneath a RED plastic pop-up cap. Somehow though people still manage to connect it reverse polarity, which can do a lot of $ damage compared to a normal car.

So really, no problem at all to jump start a Prius, you just have to be extra careful with the polarity. :)

wjtracy likes this.
  12. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would get it. Looks really good. 11.9k is a fair price if you ask me.

13. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Let us know how it goes.

14. Eclipse1701d

Eclipse1701d Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Just looking at the pictures and noticed that you would be getting more than you think. That vehicle has fog lights, a JBL Premium Stereo with 6 disc changer, navigation and the blue tooth button on the steering wheel. I'm not sure what package it has, but that's the same as I have in my 2007 Touring. I'd check the carfax and if it has no accident's I would definately get it. Then, immediately pull it into the service department and have them change the Transaxle Oil. They will tell you it doesn't have to be done, but tell them you want it! This will protect your Transaxle, and that was the exensive repair that was mentioned above. If you go on YouTube, you can find videos of people with well over 400,000 miles on their Prii...

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  15. WKiss

WKiss New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I will go check it out tomorrow before work. I'll let you know what happens.

16. WKiss

WKiss New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, If I make the purchase, I'll be driving it right into the service dept for that change. I don't want to have to replace the transmission... not in my budget.

17. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Woo hoo! Sounds like a nice Pri.

I just bought my 2007 Level 5 w/53000 miles (just like yours) a few weeks ago for $13k from a private seller. I LOVE IT!!!

The savings in gas is redonkulous so far vs. my prior vehicle (SUV). You'll love it.

You can change the transmission fluid yourself, its not hard. Also, check the small 12v battery - mine went bad a week after I bought it. $150 at Advance Auto Parts (Optima yellow top) and was super easy to change.

One thing nobody else mentioned - the hybrid battery and components may still be under warranty. I know if its a CARB state, its under warranty for 150k miles and 10 years I think. I live in a non-CARB state (Michigan) so the battery and hybrid componentry is under warranty for 8 years/100k miles. Either way, that reassured me in my purchase.

18. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It's also a really easy job if you want to go the DIY route and save a few dollars. Not really much more difficult than changing your engine oil. At 47k miles it's not like it's super urgent or anything, and there's a few posts you could search out here that give fairly detailed instructions.

19. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Heck, if I were you, I would try to get that service thrown in with the purchase. Tell them you'll pay X amount if they throw in a transmission fluid change service.

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  20. WKiss

WKiss New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Because I'm a student and only work part time, I can only put down so much for the deposit.. What would be a good price to aim towards since I have to finance the rest of it. I know negotiating would be easier to do if I had the money to buy it all at once.