1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Powder coating stock 15" wheels

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by LBCharacter, May 1, 2013.

1. LBCharacter

LBCharacter New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hey all,

I'm new to the site....so hello to everyone. I have a black 2012 Prius II with stock black 15's. I want to keep the wheels I have (without hub caps) I can't personally justify getting larger wheels and sacrifice MPG. I've put 18k on my car in 6 months so MPG is the most important thing to me. With that being said...I'm thinking about powder coating my stock 15's gunmetal gray color as well as having my badges done a similar color to match. What are your thoughts? Yay or nay? I got a quote of $300 for sand blasting current wheels and powder coating. If anyone has done the same on a black Prius and has pics I'd love to see them. If not and someone wants to photoshop something for me...that would be awesome!

Thanks all,
    LBCharacter

2. B2FiNiTY

B2FiNiTY Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I would rather get aftermarket 15s for that price.

3. bzyrice

bzyrice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just buy a spray paint made for wheels and spray it.. U drive waaaay to much to buy a nice set of wheels or spend a lot on paint.. That's my feeling anyways..

4. lizardacres

lizardacres Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since you are not even sure if you would like the look, I highly recommend you buy some Plastidip from their website. They have several color options in the gray family if you add a different topcoat. It's cheap, can be peeled off if you don't like it and you might find it scratches that itch to try something new. I did my hubcaps and I'm glad I did.

F8L and peterjmc like this.
  5. LBCharacter

LBCharacter New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    That sounds like a good idea. How easily does the plastidip peel off...similar to regular spray paint? If it's a challenge to get it off then will I end up having to buy a new wheel? Obviously, I'm not familiar with the product. Definitely a good idea to try it out inexpensively before I fork out $300. Appreciate the feedback!

6. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    YouTube search "plasti dip removal", and "plasti dip wheel". The results will answer all your questions on the product. Dipyourcar.com has a great series of videos too.

Plasti dip is an excellent idea to test the look or even good enough for a long term application. You'll be able to easily revert it back to stock if you want to sell them.

F8L likes this.