POWER and CIG fuses keep blowing

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by icewater, Apr 5, 2018.

1. icewater

icewater Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have a 2011 Prius and the 15A fuses for the power outlets keep blowing. (one in the middle in the lower dash, and one in the console compartment). They used to work fine. I've replaced the fuses twice, attempted to charge something in each outlet, and the device failed to indicate any charging activity. I pulled the fuses and both were blown again.

I've had the "mouse in the ventilation system" problem in the past and I'm wondering if the mouse chewed on wires and caused a short. How can I access the length of this wire/circuit to inspect for shorts?

Or, is there a known issue that might account for this behavior?

2. taxibuddy

taxibuddy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Are you sure the problem isn't the charger itself? Have you tried another one or at least tried the same charger in a different car?

If the charger is ok and you suspect there may be a short, replace the fuses again with the car off and no charger plugged in. Count to 5, then pull them out. Are they blown already? If not, put them back in, start the car, count to 5, stop the car. Are they blown now? If that test is ok but it still blows when you plug in the charger then it's got to be the charger or a problem with the 12v socket.