1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Power button does nothing. Car worked a couple weeks ago. 12v is fine.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Goodcitizen, Apr 22, 2023.

1. Goodcitizen

Goodcitizen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Alright guys my first thread on priuschat. I normally lurk. Tried searching to no avail.

Gen 2 prius. Has lithium pack. I haven't been driving it much lately and generally start it every couple weeks to cycle the system and keep the hv battery happy.

Today i unlocked it, made the normal brake sounds when depressing the pedal. Power button is doing absolutely nothing. Sks system works, dash is displaying nothing, it's like the button is broken.

Checked 12v connections, removed to discharge system and reinstalled. Nothing. Locks work, headlights work, i even tried jumping it. Power button does nothing, no lights zilch. Removed HV safety plug and reinstalled correctly via locking it downards.

Checked am2 fuse, checked giant fusible link. I do not understand what is going on. Any suggestions?

Would a drained HV battery cause the dash to have zero response? It's unlikely in my mind but i have a maxxvolts charger. However i don't think the pack is drained as i run it for a couple hours every time i start it.

Once during my thousands of button pressing the car displayed no key, but only for a very short moment. I cycled sks system on and off, tried inserting key, the button is doing nothing. Any suggestions?
    Thanks i appreciate it.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You don't have warning lights? If that's the case, try a different 12v!

Also, unless you installed a Nexcell Lithium pack in past couple years you don't have a Lithium pack, you have a NiMH pack, which is outdated 40 year old battery technology that Toyota insists on continuing to use because it's more profitable for their rights and licensing than lithium, which has been the most advanced battery technology in use for almost 2 decades.

#2 PriusCamper, Apr 23, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2023
  3. Goodcitizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I 100% installed a nexcell pack, i am not mistaken on this lol. I got it march of 2022. I have a maxxvolts charger from my previous nimh pack. I haven't used it on my project lithium pack but the harness is there.

My 12v is fine, reads 12.2volts. It's a wheelchair agm. I'm mechanically inclined but this has me stumped. I have no low voltage symptoms. Headlights work. Sks system works. Start button does nothing. Checked most of my fuses, 12v battery connection, 12v battery side fuses. Etc.

#3 Goodcitizen, Apr 23, 2023
  4. Kramah313

Kramah313 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Probably a dumb suggestion, but I’ll throw it out there anyways, have you checked the battery in the key fob?

5. Goodcitizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Connecting an auxiliary battery makes no difference in the 'no response' condition. I first tried jumping it via a 12v motorcycle battery and even tried using my camrys 12v, along with a jump pack which shows 12.2 volts on my wheelchair agm.
    Fob is working, keyless entry is working, if my fob was dead the car would display the no key symbol when pressing the start button. I wish this was my issue.

#5 Goodcitizen, Apr 23, 2023
  6. Goodcitizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Fob also shows red illumination light when removed from ignition.

7. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why no warning lights?

You sure about fusible link?

Negative to ground from 12v solid?

Maybe both 12v you're using are no good?

8. Goodcitizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My camrys battery is fine. The 12v ground is tight against frame, as is the connection to my battery. Headlights work, brakes prime like normal, sks system works meaning keyless entry/unlock is functioning. Car locks when pressing the black button on doors. Even with key inserted the start button results in zero lights or effect.

Giant fusible link is intact. I've checked it over multiple times. Car worked fine couple weeks ago. I'm stumped by this issue.c

9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is the car kept in a garage or outside? Are there rodents in your area?

Is your combination meter (the dashboard) starting correctly? If it isn't there should be a code (B1271, IIRC) you can retrieve with a suitable code reader.
    Seeing as you still have your MaxxVolts harness connected, it should be easy enough to check with your volt meter.

#9 dolj, Apr 23, 2023
  10. Goodcitizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I'll check pack voltage today. Combo meter is not turning on. Pressing the power button does absolutely nothing. Zero sounds. Zero effect. Combo meter was working prior. Car is kept outside. Never had rodent issues but i guess it's possible.

11. Goodcitizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't believe i can read codes(have correct elm1327) without the car powering on. The button is un responsive.

Only thing i can think is moisture or something. We had a lot of rain, now it's been sunny.

12. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So then you should have an orange or a green light on your start button If you pull that button out of the dash and unplug it you should be able to match voltage to the pin out of the plug in the manual which is here online somewhere this is an old car now You should know most of this by knowledge but whatever your SKS system if it's in the functioning mode you should have a flashing red key on the dash if the remote is not close enough to be detected it should be flashing every few seconds the red key You have none of this at all if you hold the start button down until something happens what eventually happens still nothing correct?. If so then you may need to look from the button further back to whatever it connects to when you push that button it opens or closes relays etc all of that so you're starting from pretty much the beginning of the chain looks like especially if you have no light on the button at all ever no flashing SKS key the red key on the dash oh yeah you're at the beginning of the chain with problems. I would guess there's a troubleshooting section in the manual for just this type of problem I personally haven't looked I would assume you have.

13. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    When my dash doesn't work which has been often. The way I know my car is on is the check engine light is on that is always on when the car is ready and the display is blank and I can put it in gear and go with a complete black dash I think the button is black too It doesn't show red or green because the display's not working but I can't remember exactly if that's right about the button lighting but the only lights on my display that will work I think are the orange lights that tell me bad things are happening like the check engine light TPMS light traction control etc. So when I push my button and my display doesn't work and everything is black and I look over and see the check engine light I have two choices to put it in reverse back out and go or I hit the button again quickly everything goes blank the car is completely off I wait a second or two stab the brake hit the button smartly and usually the car re-readies and the dash lights up my check engine light is on and I know I'm ready to go because everything is lit up gas gauge transmission all of it and off I go.

14. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    12.2 with NO load is not "fine".

NOLA_Akita likes this.
  15. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The HV battery has nothing to do with the car initially powering up. All of that belongs to the 12v system. There is NO fault an HV battery can provide that should keep the car from "booting up".

All the auxiliary systems that function normally show the 12v battery is well within normal condition. Not to mention connecting extra batteries and jump packs has resulted in the exact same symptoms.

Previous instances of these symptoms has resulted in finding that the power source ecu has failed. No guarantee this is the current case, but it may be worth checking.

Going only by memory, the power switch merely completes a ground connection to the power source ecu.

Goodcitizen likes this.
  16. Goodcitizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Car does the same thing with external power source, same with jump pack. Should still boot up.

17. Goodcitizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As in the ecu under the dash behind combo meter?

I found the old thread where you helped someone diagnose a very similar issue in 2019. Lots of good info in it, including sam spade and his 12v not being fully charged rant lol.

Thanks I'll follow through it, the schematics are very helpful.

I noticed moisture in my cars dash combo meter display case after the couple months of rain that fed some water into my spare tire well. I fixed the hatch weld leaks with silicone. The moisture showed up once the rain ended and warmer temps began. I know this basically opens pandoras box but it seems the power source ecu is indeed located right there.

#17 Goodcitizen, Apr 23, 2023
  18. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    So if the push button switch is dead (not working) but the headlights work do the dash lights work? if so does the dash light up? Does the push button switch light up. Moisture might have gotten into the switch itself. Did you meter the contacts on the switch. Maybe get a new switch from a junkyard and see if IT works. If the switch appears to do nothing...maybe it IS doing nothing....(y)

19. Goodcitizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't pulled my dash to meter stuff yet, noticed this issue yesterday evening when i went to start the car for routine battery maintenance.

I don't believe it's the button, as during my thousands of button pressing, I've now seen twice, a no key symbol display for a split second(no beep. Key wasn't inside vehicle either)Both times my key was not in the ignition. Also the moisture first collected on the windshield, which i tried removing via ac, successfully i thought. Then i later saw it in combo meter.

I haven't been able to replicate the key/no key issue. It once occured randomly, other time i had just disconnected the white connector in front fuse box and reinserted.

To answer other questions:

Power button has no lights on it when pressed(it's outer ring is illuminated, like the key slot)car does the normal sks stuff like turn on interior lights and activate brake acuator when walking by.

They're no dash lights being triggered for key/no key. Only the time i saw them for a split second(no key) but haven't been able to replicate it.

The normal door ajar lights display.

Based on the toyota diagnostic info posted in the previous 2019 thread I'm going to check am1 fuse under dash/parking brake area. If am1 is fine, recheck am2, check all button related fuses,check power button, if button is good, going to throw a power control supply ecu at it as it's what the power button actually initiates. They're about $20 on ebay so not a huge loss.

This is the only logical failure(psc ecu) outside of wires being physically broken. Every other module, whether hybrid related or actual ecu/ecm is powered through the power control supply ecu. The car would still boot up and display a check engine or other error.

If the button was bad i don't think it'd of displayed a no key symbol for a super split second. This seems like a module issue to me. As normally the no key thing is displayed for a couple seconds and iirc illuminates the button.

#19 Goodcitizen, Apr 23, 2023
  20. Goodcitizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Some useful info from tmr jwap in an old 2018 thread

Out of curiosity, have you checked to see if the AM1 fuse is good? Maybe even pull the fuse and make sure it has 12v on the supply side of the fuse?

AM1 fuse supplies power to the push button start system

Also supplies the interior lights, shift control and is a supply to the hybrid system

Actually, it looks like a bunch of fuses are listed as supplying the push to start system

In engine Compartment Fuse Box:
    7.5A P CON MAIN
    15A AM2
    15A DOME
    20A HEV
    30A P CON MOTOR
    100A DC/DC
    7.5A ACC
    7.5A AM2

In driverside interior fuse box:
    7.5A ECU-IG
    7.5A IGN
    7.5A STOP
    10A Gauge
    25A ACC-B

All these fuses have "Push button start system and vehicle immobilizer system" listed as items they supply"

So I'm gonna check these fuses, if all good, will order a psc off ebay today.