1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Power button does nothing. Car worked a couple weeks ago. 12v is fine.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Goodcitizen, Apr 22, 2023.

1. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You can throw parts at the problem if you want to- sometimes that does work. I prefer to do more testing first. (Minimum would be checking powers, grounds, and communication circuits at the suspect ecu.)

If you have a capable scantool, you can (should be able to) communicate with several ecu's on a Gen2,- even with the car not powering on.

Here's a thread that reviews several scantool apps and devices.

https://priuschat.com/index.php?posts/3290690

On my 2006 I could talk to immobilizer, power source control, body control, gateway, and smart key ecu's without being in ready, ignition on, or accessory modes. (ie, the key was nowhere near the car}

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.
    [/url]

Attached Files:

#21 mr_guy_mann, Apr 23, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2023
  2. Goodcitizen

Goodcitizen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    what scanner are you suggesting for communication with modules while the vehicle isn't powered on? i checked your post that sums of various scanners but this feature isn't listed in the charting.

to check power and grounds to the psc i have to pull the dash as I havent been able to get any scanner apps for my bafx elm1327 to communicate with my vehicle that will not enter acc mode. Which is why I was willing to throw a $20 part at it while the dash is apart. I checked for power at am1 and am2.

My dads a 30 year chrysler master tech so I may just bug him to help me diagnose it and I believe he has a couple aftermarket scanners that should be able to communicate with the modules. I know he has a snap on unit. I'll call him tonight. The dealer he works at also has a toyota location and he knows a few of the techs.

For sam spade he'll be enthused to know I charged my battery and it's sitting at 12.9volts now.

3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I did not mean to imply that a 12 V battery that is a little weak would cause the extensive problems that you are having NOW.

But it is good to have a healthy one in place so as not to possibly confuse the issue.

4. mr_guy_mann

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have tried the Autel and the Thinktool- both connected with the key off. I did have to manually enter the VIN and it took a long time to scan.

If one of these scantools doesn't work, then there might be something that's disrupting the data network.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The repair manual might (I'm pretty sure the Gen 1 repair manual did) present some sort of dance you can do with the driver's door/dome light switch, waking up more ECUs so they will respond when the car is not IG ON.

In my Gen 1, with whatever tools I was using, I'm pretty sure I never actually succeeded.

6. Goodcitizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My dad has the handheld autel scanner, the thousand dollar one, I'm gonna pick it up from him tomorrow.

Today, after letting the prius sit with 12v positive clip detached. It powered on, with every check engine light on. I couldn't pull drivetrain codes due to elm1327 app issues, once i turned it off, it was dead again. A psc is on order, and I'll use the autel to wake modules up tomorrow.

#26 Goodcitizen, Apr 24, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2023
  7. Goodcitizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just an update. Picked up the autel maxisys ms906-ts from my dad. Tested it on my brothers gen2. It can indeed read like 5 modules with the vehicle powered off. When powered on it has a ridiculous amount of info and can graph stuff.

The ms906 connects very fast, just have to enter vin.

Took it home to test my problem prius. It too was able to connect and produce a fault! The psc is malfunctioning. It was only able to read 3 modules but i imagine that's because the others aren't being powered on due to the psc being messed up.

Included is two photos showing the code produced and how the maxisys looks in general on problem prius.

Prius has codes b2287 and code b2289 which also relates to the psc being unable to communicate with other modules. I will follow the manuals troubleshooting.

I ordered a used psc from ebay from a 2005 prius, comes in a couple days so I'll pull the dash and hopefully have my issues solved. Also been running a high powered fan in the vehicle to make sure everything is nice and dry.

Will keep ya'll updated! Hoping a wire didn't fry and it's just a dead psc.

Attached Files:

#27 Goodcitizen, Apr 26, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2023
    SFO likes this.
  8. mr_guy_mann

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hmmm.

The PSC "can" talk to the scantool (via the BEAN/LIN bus to the gateway, then the CAN bus to the scantool). It SHOULD be able to talk to the other modules on the BEAN bus - but it can't.

Specifically I don't see any response from the immobilizer (or the gateway)- not sure if the PSC has to power up any feeds in order for those ecu's to respond.

9. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We're still here.

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Whats hoping a wire didn't fry? What's that mean? Why are wires frying lol?

Starting your car every few weeks does very little for the hybrid battery. It has to be driven at least for 20 mins on a highway for a charge.
    Want to kill a hybrid battery don't drive the car.

A hybrid car is not a good choice of car if you don't drive it every day. If you don't drive it alot why bother with a hybrid your not saving any money on gas and incurring great expense with a new hybrid battery and alot of 12 volt battery issues.

How are you checking the am1 and am2 fuses? . They need to be removed and checked with an ohm meter. There will always be power on one side of the fuse even if the fuse is blown.

Over 16 years here Can't ever recall an issue a poster had with a power source control ecu. Did a search on ALL forums for a power source control since the beginning of PC and very few posters mention it.

What's the 12 volts measure at the front jump point?

https://priuschat.com/search/441069852/?q=power+source+control+ecu&t=post&o=relevance

11. Goodcitizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've since made a new thread
    The car began working again, now is once again dead after a couple hundred miles of usage and several starts/stops.

It indeed was not the psc, it also is not the am1 or am2 fuse. Both have been changed. Measured front jump point at 12.4v couple days ago.

I just figured out the hidden location of the immobilizer(transponder key ecu) so i can begin testing the harness per servicemanual diagnostics for codes b2287 and b2289. It's behind the heater against the firewall. Both of those codes in general are basically unmentioned on this forum and google.

I'm concerned about a short or bad ground due to corrosion from moisture that built up from the hatch roofline leaking.

My project lithium battery was working just fine before the issue came back. getting 52mpg.

bisco likes this.
  12. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes there have been a bunch of immobilizer replacements.

And did not know you had a bad water leak in that very common leak area. Garaged cars do not suffer much from that leak.

Ok need to check how much water is in the battery well. That well can rust out bad and the battery can fall out so stay on top of that.

And 12.4 volts sounds good but humor me and do this quick test:

With car off measure the battery at the front jump point again. Remember that number.

With car still off turn on the headlights in high beam. Let them run for exactly 5 minutes with car off. After 5 minutes turn off the headlights and with car still off wait a minute then check the dc at the front jump point again.

Whats that voltage? This is a very benign load test i want to see how your battery can handle this. A solid battery will recover just fine with maybe a .2 to.4 loss of voltage.

How bad is the rust under the dash? if rusted under there that means the water got under the front carpet. The hatch area must have been a swimming pool. You might be on a house to house search for corroded grounds everywhere if the front carpets were wet.

Here is a search of all forums for an immobilzer issue. Way more common than a PSC. Lots of hits:

https://priuschat.com/search/441482947/?q=immobilizer+ecu&t=post&o=relevance

Good luck!

13. Goodcitizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just an update: went through the harness, following service manual troubleshooting guides in immobilizer and multiplex system. Grounds are good, i have power everywhere i should except pcon for my transmission. Car still had communication issues, wouldnt even go into igniton. gateway wasn't showing up in techstream, and same immobilizer codes as it did prior.

I did some more inspecting and found corrosion on some of the drivers side junction to the left of the combination meter. I sprayed them down(back and front of connections) with contact cleaner this evening and my car started right up after reconnecting power(after pushing the button ofcourse and letting it dry)

I'm going to put some more effort into cleaning the green copper oxide corrosion off and begin putting my dash back together. The Pcon fuse is good, and i have power past the engine side fuse box at the harness. Need to figure out where It actually stops at. I will check the wiring diagram but iirc it splits on the passenger side. Pcon also feeds the gateway which indeed has 12+ volts when the vehicle is off. I could just jump past it like a lot of people do to fix the parking lock code but I'd rather try some more in depth cleaning as i don't want to run into harness issues again.

I have an avc communication code i didn't have before but I have a feeling my radio didn't get plugged back in. I'll also check back of my mfd. Reasonably confident it's just something unplugged. As i didn't have the issue prior.

I'll keep this thread updated but I believe i found the issue, which was corrosion on few pins of connectors located drivers side.

mr_guy_mann and SFO like this.
  14. Goodcitizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update: so i was getting a transmission P lock code and an obscure brake code saying low voltage. I finished cleaning the drivers side junction top left called IA3, which had visible corrosion on several wires/connectors. All of my issues and codes are gone. Vehicle drives great, techstream looks good. My radio was indeed unplugged on one connector and gateway code has cleared.

There's one new thing I've had occur. My fuel guage is flashing 1 bar. My tank was about 7/8th full. I took it out for a drive hoping it'd find signal and correct. Didn't work.

Previously it'd sense fuel level within a minute or two after power loss/battery reset. I also decided to top off my fuel tank hoping it'd sense the volume increase.

So I'm trying to find the section of the manual related to fuel guage. I know the issue is not the back of the vehicle, as it worked prior. It even worked when my car phantom worked perfectly a couple weeks ago.

What section of the manual can i find fuel guage information? I know i can search the wiring diagram but I've seen tidbits shared from searching on here. I already checked fuel system there's no information.

One final concern, my mini vci/techstream cannot complete a can bus check. Nothing shows up. They're zero errors and i have zero codes, and even two different obd2 scanners(bluedriver and elm1327) communicate fine. Though neither of them have a can bus check method. I haven't done a can bus check on my camry yet to see if it's software/cable related but will try tomorrow. I also tried the can bus check with ignition fully on, accessory mode, and the partial ignition(when engine doesn't run but ac/fans work)

I think it's either a software issue, or maybe i damaged the dlc3 connector somehow by front probing(i properly backprobed every other connector with matco backprobe kit)? Or worst case can is completely down but i think I'd be getting communication errors and gateway codes as some ecus only use can to communicate.

Sorry for the long post. Hope someone has some input besides the normal, "have you checked your 12v battery"(just kidding and being facetious. I appreciate everyones help)

#34 Goodcitizen, Jun 28, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2023
  15. MrBimBim

MrBimBim New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    SE
    Were you ever able to get this figured out? Having similar issues.