1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Power consumption of USB device is too high??

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Blizzard_Persona, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    image.jpg

So what besides the obvious does this mean? It is getting real annoying... Should I bring the car in to get checked out?

If I plug in my IPhone 4 using the USB cord plugged into the receptacle under the armrest (how you plug in to run the wonderful entune :mad:) the pictured notification intermittently and quite often pops up. This stops my phone from charging and is annoying as it makes the dinging sound every time and I have to unplug / re plug it in and hope that it starts back up charging. Does anyone know if the little lightning bolt that signifies that the phone is charging must be on for entune to work, or does it only have to be plugged in??

Now I do recall somewhere hearing that the USB is not the optimal way to charge a phone, and I'll admit when it does work it charges real slow. Thing is that's the only way to run Entune and there is only one plug on the cell phone?

I could charge the phone via a cigarette lighter charger but then I can't use entune!

It would have been nice if Entune would have been designed to run via Bluetooth..

2. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    It's an "Apple" problem and has been discussed on here before I think.
    Try a search for IPhone maybe.
    I don't think there is a good fix.

3. Blizzard_Persona

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Thanks EasyRider.

That kinda blows though :(

4. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Correct. When you don't follow the specs like Apple, then their devices don't play nicely.

However, I really think there could be an easy fix. Get a male and female USB A port and wire them together to be a passthrough. However then adjust the D+/D- voltage to about 2v each through resistor dividers from V+ and GND and now it should limit it to 500mA for Apple devices.

Note that it charges slowly because USB spec is 100mA until negotiated and then up to 500mA. Most phones nowadays are charging at 2.1A to 2.3A (2100mA - 2300mA) and at a higher voltage (5.3v) instead of nominal 5v USB. 5V @ 500mA is 2.5W whereas 5.3V @ 2.3A is 12.19W.

5. Eclipse1701d

Eclipse1701d Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I could be completely wrong, but I do remember a post about this, implying it happens, if you are NOT using an actual Apple USB cord to charge the phone...

6. Blizzard_Persona

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I will try the apple cord that's attached to my Mac and see how that works. You are correct that I am using an aftermarket cord in my prius.

I'll try it and check back in. Thanks for the heads up. Hope it works.

7. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    However "most" phones will not go bonkers and stop charging if they encounter a charging source that results in less than an optimal charging rate. Apple has an inflated ego.

8. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    #8 xliderider, Mar 4, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
    Blizzard_Persona likes this.