1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Power Inverter Installation in Prius 2022 Awd LE

Discussion in 'Living Life in a Prius' started by Marlon, Jun 12, 2022.

1. Marlon

Marlon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello Everyone!
    Anyone installed 2000-W power inverter already in 2022 AWD LE model?
    Thanks..please let me know.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Which inverter you gonna buy or have you bought? It's pretty much the same set up for older Prius too...

3. Randy B

Randy B Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The 12v inverters are appropriately limited by the 100a fuse at the 12v battery terminal. So, a 1000w inverter is the largest recommended for 12v [pure sine wave is best]. That said, if your >1kw needs are short in duration, a 1500 or 2000w inverter might be used at some risk. The risk is to shorten the life of the multi-thousand dollar dc-dc converter that supplies the 12v battery. I have used a 1000w 12v inverter on my gen 2 and 3 Prius and find they work great for limited needs.
    For more power you need an inverter that connects to the high voltage hybrid battery. Only Plugout Power supplies this type. Find their website for deeper information. I have used these for years and they work. The Prius can output up to 3.6kw reliably. Available inverters are 4 and 5kw.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  5. black_jmyntrn

black_jmyntrn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    so.. yes and working with renogy to make a custom sized 2000 watt inverter for the gen 4 folks... my idea is a clamp and play system and you dont have to run the wire through the firewall. 10-15 minute install, just... whee would you want your outlets inside to be?

oh and I run two 85ah batteries, each having a 2,000W inverter going through a 130amp fuse to the battery. I use an air fryer on one and an induction stove on the other without issues.

they key is not to use the included wires and have custom very thick gauge cables made by you or others for the install... do not use harbor freight battery wires either..

Mambo Dave likes this.
  6. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    lol, you KNOW people will though

7. black_jmyntrn

black_jmyntrn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    thats why i try to word why not in a way they can understand it, I dont get the logic of buying low-cost right away versus waiting to buy the proper thing even if the cost is higher. like the guys who swear by veepak obd and i say mx+.... not until they are on the side of the road and realize veepak isnt giving them the enhanced code will they remember my recommendation.