1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Power Loss in Mountains: SOC Wild Swings: Batt vs VVT (Gen 2)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Priusjames, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Priusjames

Priusjames Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just returned from 4-day trip through Northern California in my 2006 Prius and about halfway through I became obsessed with the State of Charge...SOC...on the MFD. So much so, it turned a 7-day trip into a 4-day trip. Muy malo. Specific details will be in the next post in the thread, to help manage replies.

Problem: The SOC was swinging from 1 purple bar going uphill to 6 blue bars going downhill and back again within minutes/seconds
    , which I had never experienced. Q: Is this in any way normal/acceptable?

Note: *Traveling speed* wasn't really an issue. I was able to maintain whatever speed I carried into the hill/grade (commonly 65, 70, 73mph) and was still able to accelerate if needed (unless/until there was only 1 purple bar) if less than 73mph...worst case was stuck at a certain speed until a flat/downhill area where I could increase again...I made it home safely and SOC returned to 6-9 blue bars on SoCal freeways. I don't feel the wild swings are normal when long mountain passes/grades are involved, but I've never done them for days on end (just once over the Grapevine and back a week later every now and again). It's my 2nd Gen 2 (bought 1st in October 2003), this is 1st time I've freaked out about SOC. I could *feel* the problem first, verified by MFD/SOC screen.

My research focus:
    Q: Is this an indication I need another traction battery rebuild-replacement?
    Q: Is this a problem that grid chargers solve?

While researching the issues I experienced, this thread about the VVT caught my attention. I've never heard of a VVT, but the title and the description in the post seem to hit the target. I will replace the VVT either way, but still have the Q's/thoughts about realistic expectations for the battery that's been sitting unused and has experienced these wild swings.
    No power on hills, MPG down, SOC low, PROBLEM FIXED | PriusChat

The current battery is rebuilt, installed in early 2018, but about 2 months after it was installed the car sat unused until last month. So I'm wondering about the pitfalls of a ("better quality") rebuilt battery in a car sitting unused for a couple of years.

MPG for trip: 38.3mpg overall after 1300 miles, was at 47mpg after Grapevine near beginning of the trip, 42mpg when I noticed "the change" halfway through and it continued to drop from there. Still good, by my standards.

#1 Priusjames, Jun 8, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  2. Priusjames

Priusjames Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Symptoms: As I pulled into the McArthur (logging roads//Forest Service/BLM) area North of Burney Falls I knew something was wrong with the power/speed/acceleration. The engine was howling and power was low. I nonchalantly checked the 'energy' screen and there was only 1 purple/pink bar! I was sitting still and it was not charging. I put the car in 'park' and sat there, nothing changed...1 bar. Turned on/off AC to see if I could get some energy flowing to start battery charging, nothing. Ugh. Nonchalant gone. I've never seen 1 bar before, although it's possible It has happened...I don't know because I don't hawk the energy screens.

So I'm alone in the middle of nowhere about to go up logging roads (to test out my new PriusOffroad lift kit) and nobody will find me for days if something happens. No cell signal for many miles, so checking the internet was out. I bit the bullet and turned car off, back on again after a minute. ICE came on and then started charging...up to 2 purple bars and that was it. Ugh. So the system was working to that extent.

I decided to try to force some more charging and drove back and forth on a relatively flat part of the road nearby, which worked. At 3 blue bars, I decided to go for it and took a drive up some logging roads and took some pics/videos...it was relaxing. The SOC fluctuated from 2 to 3 bars, purple/pink to blue and back again.

From then on, it was easy to tell when the SOC dropped to 1 or 2 bars...the engine got loud and the gas pedal far less responsive. I got to the point I could tell when the grade was up or down (even pretty slightly) by listening/pedal response, verified by checking the SOC on the MFD. Very quick response from 1-2 bars to 4-5 bars...minutes at the most, maybe a minute per bar added and less than that to lose bars going up-grade...from 5 blue bars to 1 purple bar in 1 minute. This is where the "Would this be a lot different with a new/better battery?" question boiled up.

I remember going over the Grapevine (I-5 SoCal nightmare 6% grade) over the years in both of my Gen 2 Prii and hearing the engine louder at times...and wonder if I had been checking the SOC if I'd seen only 1 purple bar every time and this is completely normal, or am I experiencing something bad like I think is happening?

After I made it out of the mountains, it's blue bars all the way. Driving freeways the last 2 hours home it went up to one-less-than-all blue bars (9? It's the same/highest this rebuilt battery has *ever* shown, other than turning the same number of bars green for short periods of time).

Over the next week or two, I'll see if my theory about it working fine unless it's going up long mountain grades/passes is correct. If SOC stays blue/green I'll go back over the Grapevine to see what happens to power/battery and SOC/MFD. It will be helpful to know what a regular Gen 2 with decent battery does over long mountain passes for days as a baseline, for sure.

MPG for trip: 38.3mpg overall after 1300 miles, was at 47mpg after Grapevine near beginning of the trip, 42mpg when I noticed "the change" halfway through and it continued to drop from there. Still good, by my standards!

#2 Priusjames, Jun 8, 2021
  3. Priusjames

Priusjames Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Prices/availability of VVT:

Amazon won't ship me one in California! No $25 parts for me.

The Red Bullet site says they're rehashing everything, left them a message to see what that means.

Local parts stores carry the most expensive aftermarket part only...about $85...could buy today.

Toyota OEM online is about $85, plus shipping.

4. Priusjames

Priusjames Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess the question I forgot to ask is "If it runs fine and stays in the blue bars most of the time, and gets down to 1 bar on the SOC when I go over mountains every now and then, am I doing anything bad to the car other than lowering gas mileage?"

The replies so far have been helpful, thanks.

#4 Priusjames, Jun 8, 2021
  5. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Definitely a sign of a weak battery, and very common for a rebuilt “wack-a-mole” pack to fail within a year or two. Do you have warranty on the battery? Your best bet would be a new pack, either from the dealer or aftermarket.

Priusjames likes this.
  6. Priusjames

Priusjames Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It had a 3-year warranty, but that was 3 years ago.

7. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I’d say you got a long good run out of a rebuilt pack. I would start saving/shopping now for a new pack. Remember a new Toyota pack will last 10 years easy. My hybrid battery is 14 and completely original beside the new clean bus bars, and it works perfectly, never seeing rapid charge or discharge levels, staying at 6 bars almost all the time even on small mountain passes.

Priusjames likes this.
  8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Be aware that there is now just a 12 hour time limit for such edits.

Priusjames likes this.
  9. Priusjames

Priusjames Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks!

10. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Depending on usage patterns, this would generally be the situation, either sooner or later.

You might consider one of the NEW aftermarket options, including the new lithium pack. Of course OEM is a viable option as well.

How much are you paying for rebuilt HV battery packs these days?

Maybe locate a low mileage wreck and do a swap?
    It may bring some life back into the HV battery, hard to say without knowing the collection of modules inside. DIY grid charger (threads exist) options are fairly inexpensive, and someone in the lower playground might have a Prolong kit (including the automatic discharger) that you could rent or borrow, though you may need to buy an extra Gen2 harness.

Here is another 15usd VVT option (also seen some on fleabay as well), not sure if RA will ship to you : 2006 TOYOTA PRIUS 1.5L L4 ELECTRIC/GAS Variable Valve Timing (VVT) Solenoid / Actuator | RockAuto

If paying 45 (or 85) for a solenoid, you might consider the 'bullet' product you mentioned. Many here have them on the various generations, and have used their respective buttmeters to prove efficacy. Haven't heard a bad word, except that 'no real testing' has ever been done.

Raytheeagle and Priusjames like this.
  11. Priusjames

Priusjames Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is good information, thanks. I think the reason I noticed it this weekend is because it didn't use to act like this, but I haven't done these sustained mountain passes. Heh.

These were substantial mountain passes, I'm hoping to get more feedback from others, too. Thanks again!

#11 Priusjames, Jun 8, 2021
  12. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You can also test the battery by getting it to 6 bars( normal level as you know) and do a full throttle 0-60. If you see it drop 2-4 bars it’s definitely a weak battery. Ive owned 4 Prii in the last 9 years and work on all my friends and families hybrids.

13. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is normal loss of capacity common to all nickel-based batteries, which periodically require reconditioning/deep cycling:
    BU-807: How to Restore Nickel-based Batteries – Battery University

The scam going on is Toyota didn't want to require any regular maintenance if they could make way more money convincing the customer that their battery needs to be replaced. So Toyota set the tolerances of the system to allow a battery running at anything above 50% capacity to operate normally without warning lights. This is currently where you're at and why SOC is fluctuating so wildly.

Had Toyota been more responsible they would of equipped every vehicle with an inexpensive device that discharges the battery several times to deeper and deeper levels and charges and balances after each discharge. But Toyota decided they'd rather sell fear of having to replace the hybrid battery rather fear of having to do maintenance to boost battery capacity up near 96% on a 8-15 year old pack.

You can do this work yourself on the whole pack using equipment from Maxx Volts or Hybrid Automotive or you can save lots of money and build your own system for less than $100: Build Hybrid Battery Maintenance Gear For Under $100 | PriusChat

Alternatively you can remove the pack and use a hobby charger on each of the individual 8volt modules to recondition them one at a time. There's 28 of them so having more than one charger speeds things up big time.

Or, if your budget allows you can buy a brand new pack for as lows as $1600 or spend a bit over $2K for Toyota hybrid battery upgrade pack– NexPower Energy pack.

I've been testing one of these packs in my car since last October and when I climb mountain passes in California on the I-5 and SOC gets down to three bars it's amazing how much power there still is compared to even a brand new NiMH OEM pack from Toyota. It drives like a different way more powerful Prius under those conditions. Though in regular day to day driving it's not that noticeable of a difference because the lithium pack was designed to not provide too much extra power so existing battery ECU doesn't throw warning lights.

ydpplqbd and Priusjames like this.
  14. Priusjames

Priusjames Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is a very helpful reply, thanks!

15. Priusjames

Priusjames Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just tried this several times from 5 bars and from 6 bars. 1 bar dropped either way and was pretty quickly recovered when I backed off at 60.

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  16. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As long as you don't yet have warning lights and can treat these symptoms right away you can get many more years out of your existing pack without it failing. My '07 had these same symptoms in 2018 and after reconditioning it ran solid with no issues... Then after 18 months it needed more reconditioning, which is when the lithium test pack showed up, so after it was reconditioned I sold the pack to somebody who is 8 months into the the one-year warranty I offered him and still no issues.

#16 PriusCamper, Jun 8, 2021
    Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  17. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Given that the title of this thread could attract others with power loss or a desire to climb mountains at speed, let me add :

A question that was asked of @edthefox5 and the reply that follows : Transaxle Failure | Page 12 | PriusChat

My takeaway, drive slower and pull over to force charge the HV battery as needed until reaching the summit or destination.

18. Priusjames

Priusjames Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is a prudent suggestion, elegantly simple. Thanks!