1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Power loss & low battery during climb

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tone88, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Tone88

Tone88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm...interesting. Not likely the case here. I've always driven it the same way - set the cruise @ 70mph but now it just drops from 70 to 50 w/ 1 purple bar and motor revving high to compensate...it gets some juice/charge back on the next down-slope. Additionally, this is the 4th year I've done this route driving it the same way and it was never an issue before....

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Cruise control doesn't floor it until it looses quite a bit of speed/power for obvious safety reasons.

3. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If this wasn't a hybrid these symptoms would point to clogging fuel injectors, carbon/coke buildup in the cylinders and intake, or problems with a sensor like the MAF Mass air flow. These would all cause knocking in the ICE under a high load like SF's short but steep hills or the Sierra hill climb. Knock sensor detects this and retards timing reducing power and saves your ICE from damage. A scangauge app set to HP and IGN might show this happen.

4. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  5. Tone88

Tone88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for all the input & ideas everyone. Not sure if they've checked the 12V batt.; I'd be shocked if they didn't test this as the car has perfect maintenance and they've gone through EXTENSIVE testing & diagnostics (4 visits & 1K total road miles) - that said, it is the original batt. so I'll check that with Toyota. They did run a bunch of tests on the engine & transaxle & all checks ok. Hopefully I'll have some feedback from TMC this week... No interest in selling, would like to have a fix & get another 100 to 200K more use, but this issue is a bummer during the ski season... Amazing how much these used Priusus are selling for. Happy 4th everyone.

6. Al.Truistic

Al.Truistic New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Tone88 good luck with this. Very interested to hear what the 12V test by Toyota discovers, hopefully this is the issue and you are back hill climbing at 70 with no issues. Since getting my Prius I have wondered what toll regular hill driving would exact on these cars...Happy 4th.

7. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Probably a dumb question, but have you changed your engine filter yet?

8. Tone88

Tone88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If it's part of the standard service schd, then yes; all services @ every 5K done at dealer per Toyota recommendations. Completed 90K svc 5k miles ago....

9. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    this happens around town too?! check your ignition coils (not spark plugs)... does it run a little rough while it's doing this?

if you can get it while it's acting funny.. and pull of 1 ignition coil at a time, you'll notice the car keeps running or shuts off.. it should shut off after every pull (pull the whole thing off the spark plug, not the 12v plug.. it knows the difference) if it stays on, that coil has failed or is failing at that moment.

this car "can" run off of 3 cylinders but it lacks power.. and that directly influences soc and makes mpg drop to 20's... (it's only possible because of MG1 & 2)

if you do test this, you have to restart after every ignition coil reconnect, or else the car is in ! mode or something... errors, either way.

10. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The car will code (MIL, triangle) if there is a misfire, even an occasional misfire. The misfire frequency threshold threshold is pretty low, a few % on a single cylinder. I do not think this is lack of engine power.

Tone88, even though it sounds like Toyota has pulled out all the stops and has topline experts working on your problem, it is still your car, and you know it best. Don't be afraid to do some troubleshooting on your own, particularly the 12V battery test described here. Don't rely on them to test it correctly. It is not uncommon for people to replace their 12V battery on a Prius that is only 4 years old.

11. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Another thing I forgot to ask, and I don't remember anyone else asking: Do you recall having your MPG drop after having a service performed, and/or when changing out tires/wheels?

12. Tone88

Tone88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good suggestion Seilerts, will have investigate the 12V batt w/ Toyota, I think I remember one comment that they swapped batts. as part of their testing, but will follow up on this.

MPG has been pretty consistent, drops 2 mpg on the break-in of new tires then recovers. Recently removed the Yakima rack which had a wind farring and 2 crossbars w/ no attachments...this made about a 3 mpg difference. I average 40ish now and can do a bit better (43-44) if I drive slower.

13. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi Tone88. If you are doing a few tests yourself you could try measuring the HV battery capacity from a given starting charge (say 7 green bars). Pick some quite backstreets that are as flat as possible, then at a time of day (or night) with no traffic and just drive slowly (say 20-30 mph) on only electric power until the SOC drops from 7 to 5 bars. Pick a closed circuit if possible so that changes in elevation can be ruled out. Record the distance traveled and see if there is anything way out of line here. You should go about 1/2 a mile.

BTW. You can force charge the traction battery by holding it stationary with the brake while simultaneously applying just enough accelerator pedal to force the engine to run. Stop when it just makes 7 green bars and then drive it slowly until it drops to 5.

14. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  15. hunterxaz

hunterxaz New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just got back from doing a trip to PHX from SLC. Has a lot of up and down mountainous terrain, and I noticed that I'd get down to 1 purple bar but not much power loss. When I went down hill and the regenerative breaking kicked in, I'd get back up into 3/4 blues and sometimes even greens, but then going back up steep grades (6%, 7%) I would get sucked dry. I also have a system (amp/sub) and upgraded DVD player in my car and was running the AC.

16. Tone88

Tone88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    An update: TMC will want the car back in a couple wks and plans to put in a new hybrid batt & run extensive testing up to the mountains with a bunch of specialty techs - "PQOF staff". They said they'll only return the car with a confirmed fix. Rental car provided; better make sure I ask for a nice one in case mine doesn't make it back :)
    Really interesting to see how this turns out & thx for the input from this forum.

17. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    We are really interested too! Please let us know what happens.

18. M8s

M8s Retired and Lovin' It

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    This is great service by Toyota. It shows Toyota's commitment to refining and perfecting its hybrid technology much better than any ad campaign would do.

I love to see a manufacturer invest the time and effort to get to the root cause of a problem, as opposed to just letting a mechanic swap parts in order to see what happens. To me, swapping parts is a cop out that doesn't make any attempt at problem-solving. It happens far too often, though.

I understand the economics of parts-swapping. It is easier, and more cost effective, to just run the production line for a few more minutes and produce another 20 ICEs (to be swapped out) than it is to pay a mechanic to rebuild a defective ICE.

However, that "parts swap" philosophy overlooks the benefits of problem-solving and does not increase the manufacturer's knowledge base one bit. Toyota's approach to this problem demonstrates Toyota's commitment to the future of their products and their reputation.

Good for Toyota - and good for us!

19. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for the update Tone88. I personally think that there's a good chance that a new battery will resolve the problem. I've been thinking that this is one of those cases where there is some degradation of the battery but not enough to cause it to fail their routine tests. Also, in other service conditions then perhaps it would even go unnoticed.

Yes it will be extremely interesting to see how this situation turns out. Please keep us updated. :)

20. Tone88

Tone88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep will update. Appointment if for July 26 so will update the forum with the results.

Agreed, that Toyota's focus on this speaks to the whole Kaizen philosophy which made them great. Economics of swapping parts get really interesting when you start looking at volumes in the millions of units, so though it's highly probably my car is an anomaly, the ROI for Toyota to learn the root cause is very high in the way of reliability, reputation, and indicator of other failure points in the system.