1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Power loss & low battery during climb

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tone88, Jul 2, 2011.

1. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I go over Donner, probably 16- 20 times in the last 6 years and never experienced any power problems, summer or winter. I generally only drive at 55 mph as the trip to Reno is only about 2 hours. Maybe that is why ( ? ) who knows.

2. Tone88

Tone88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, you hit on an interesting point. This has started to become an issue when encountering the climb out of the Auburn foothills after 1.75 hrs drive from the E. Bay. It's usually without stops, so if one was to start from Sac would it occur? not sure - but this never happened the prior 4+ years under same conditions so something has definitely changed/deteriorated in my car. Toyota called me today to inform me that more parts are due in tomorrow and I'll likely get the car by Monday - they've had it since last Tues.....will update.

2 people like this.
  3. jsanch2007

jsanch2007 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Tone my sis and i who drive trough pacheco pass on a daily and now have over 210000 miles on our 07 prius are having the same problem. I replaced 12v just yesterday with no change. So i take its the HV battery.Can you give us an update? Is your prius now running like before?

4. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm curious, since your car is out of warranty, what are your plans? You ought to try a salvage pull from an '08 or '09 before trying anything else.

5. Tone88

Tone88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota informed me today they'll need the car through end of next wk due to parts on order which are another 5 days out. They've had the car since 7/26, but that's fine since we have a nice Camry XLE loaner - comfy, goes when you step on the gas, but not as good on the MPG.. :)
    Will update on the outcome...

6. jsanch2007

jsanch2007 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We'll sis went to dealership in Santa Cruz and they told her that "exhaust has a broken donut that is causing power loss". The donut broke because her motor mounds are worn out. So the estimate $900 for repair and that they couldn't tell if she was having a HV battery problem. I'm not a mechanic but does this make any sense? :confused:

7. Tone88

Tone88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update: I finally got my car back! It took over 3wks due to parts needing to be ordered.
    Per the paperwork here's what was replaced:
    - Hybrid batt assy complete w/ the system main relays, bus bar modules, HV battery ECU and all other related components.
    They did extensive road testing but not up to the mtns has they have before and all's fine. They asked that I follow-up w/ them after I make a tahoe trip. Not sure when that will be. The car feels the same from what I can remember - actually felt pretty sluggish, but that's after transitioning from 3+ wks in the new Camry loaner.

I have a msg into the dealer asking if new parts were used & what adtl warranty i get if any as the notes state they swapped the parts with their FTS test vehicle. I understand the goal is they have all the parts in their own car so they can continue testing....so they had my car + their car apart throughout the process...

So I guess the real update is how it handles the mtn passes definitely by winter. I don't anticipate it happening again around town as it was doing that intermittently...

3 people like this.
  8. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Thanks for the update and please do keep us informed when you go back to the mountains. Thanks and good luck! :)

9. Tone88

Tone88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    An interesting note since the HV batt replacement: significant MPG increase.
    Our avg hwy MPG since we owned the car (since new) was 39 +/- 2mpg.
    We now avg 45 +/- 2 and get 47/48 on highway. We haven't changed our driving habits.
    The batter level per the meter appears to be more charged more often and full status with green bars (opposed to blue) much more frequent based on my casual observations.

Haven't made a run to the mtns yet, have to in Oct., but would be surprised if I experience any power loss. Will update.

2 people like this.
  10. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the update, Tone.

11. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the update, Tone.

Many times someone posts about a problem with their car and we never hear from them again. Your posts may help others so thanks again for keeping us updated.

12. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I too want to thank Tone for the latest update and all of the information on this string.

It is good information and is also very interesting to see the increase in the MPG. I hope it keeps those high numbers for you. I know there are other's with higher numbers than that.

13. Tone88

Tone88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My pleasure; this is a great forum from which I've learned a lot.
    Regarding the others w/ higher MPG....I attribute that 100% to driver...I'm not the most patient when it comes to hyper-mileing technique :)

2 people like this.
  14. Tone88

Tone88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As an update: I finally got up to Tahoe this weekend & had the oppty to test the car after the fix....well....it now works perfectly! Plenty of power, all the way over Donner Summit on hwy 80 - able to maintain 72-73 mph with 3 of us in the car (not that the car was maxed out, could have gone faster, not sure how much). So basically works now as it did the first 3 yrs of its life. Interestingly, we now consistently get mid 40s+ mpg where before we consistently got high 30s - driving style the same.

5 people like this.
  15. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    A happy ending to a great story! I think you may have paved the way for others to seek warranty help when there are clear driveability problems but not diagnostic trouble codes.

16. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Once again I must say "Thank you" to tone for the information. I have learned quite a bit about the Prius since my wife bought hers, but have learned even more by being a member of PC.

Also glad to hear that the problem is solved and that the MPG's are holding for you.

17. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    thx for al your time and information
    did toyota ever get back to you what they find?
    maybe the battery total capacity was just way to low after a few years of driving,

18. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Liked to ask when you had the Inverter Coolant pump replaced under recall?
    I was going to say I doubt its the battery as it would most likely throw a CEL. I was thinking it was either the pump or the condition of the Inverter coolant itself. I changed my Inverter coolant at 30K because it looked terrible. Los of aluminum silicate in it as it was very cloudy and had aluminm salts on the rim of the reservoir.
    When I changed the coolant I got an instant bump in mileage.
    In fact the reason I changed it was my mileage was tanking real bad and I noticed with my IR thermometer that my Inverter was running much warmer than usual. When the Inverter gets hot it gets very inefficent.

Think about it...its not the batteries supplying power its the Inverter's lack of power to charge the batteries under load.
    And the biggest load the car will ever see is a big hill specially with ac on and some weight in the car and a low charge on the battery at start of hill.

And the dealer can check cell quality easily with the Techstream software. It came back ok which puzzled them and they started throwing parts at it.

If you had gotten out of the car when it was struggling on the hills and popped the hood and felt the Inverter I bet you would have found it to be very hot.
    So I can tell you at 90,000 miles the Inverter coolant needs to be changed badly. Mostly because the heatsinks in the Inverter are high quality aluminum and thats one of the most corrosive metals in the world. It contaminates the coolant.

JMD likes this.
  19. Battmans

Battmans New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am having the same problems with powerless I have to pull over recharge and give it another try. The dealer told me the 12 v was bad and replaced it. Please tell me what I need to do to fix my prius I don't believe the 12 v is the problem

20. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    No, 12V is not the problem. Thank you for providing your location, it is helpful to know that you are climbing real hills.

It is a problem with the HV battery system. Do you ever hear the HV battery fan running on high?

How many miles are on your Prius? On the chance that you are still under warranty, you could possibly be able to demonstrate this problem to a dealership technician and get Toyota to replace the HV battery. The problem is that reduced capacity HV batteries can linger for a long time before finally reversing/killing a cell.

If there are a lot of miles on the car, this might be a good time to sell it or trade it in, before the battery lets go completely. The problem is that, while the HV battery is the primary symptom, there could be a latent problem somewhere else. If there is excessive drag in the transaxle, or the gas engine is operating at low efficiency (such as clogged catalytic converter), then the battery is asked to do too much work on hill climbs, and once exhausted, there is not enough power delivered from the gas engine to the wheels to sustain momentum. Even a badly clogged air intake can cause this.