1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

power management control ECU needs to be replaced?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Barbara Bender, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Barbara Bender

Barbara Bender New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    My left high beam wasn't working. I tried another bulb- it did not work so I checked the fuse. It was fine. So I gave up. I got in the car to drive it and it said it was in park- but wouldn't go into park. I checked every fuse that
    had to do with the parking system. I called the dealer they said I needed a jump. Jump did not help and the 12 v battery reads 12+ volts. I called a tow truck- they could not get it out of my driveway, which is off a narrow
    alley- because it won't go in neutral. So I called Wrench-mobile mechanic.

He said the ECU needs replacing? I have no real idea what that means. What it will cost or if it's an
    accurate diagnosis. Since it can't be towed- I am at their mercy.

Any thoughts?

Thanks- I am a teacher and school starts in less than 2 weeks

2. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    sounds like a bad battery

bisco likes this.
  3. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What year is your prius, and how many miles? Also if you haven't maybe try disconnecting the 12 volt battery and see if that helps. Never heard of these problems from a prius before

4. Barbara Bender

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    It's a 2010 Prius. I have disconnected the negative cable- because it is the only way I can get the car turn off. The console
    keeps saying to put in Park- which of course it won't do. It has 105,000 miles

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think (hope) it is your 12v. jumping doesn't always work with a bad 12v, and 12+ volts sounds low.

how many miles on her? is it the original battery?

idk who wrench mobile mechanic is, but she sounds clueless.

6. Barbara Bender

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The mechanic was from a company called Wrench Mobile- started in Seattle but
    has gone national? He plugged a computer in and that is what he came up with.
    The car has a 105,000 miles. It is the original battery. I will buy a battery and try it,
    since it is 8 years old.

Thank You

bisco likes this.
  7. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    The Power Management Control ECU is the main computer for the hybrid system. It’s the module behind the glove compartment labeled 89681A in this image from Figure 84-01, Switch & Relay & Computer, in the parts catalog. Toyota’s list price for a new one is $678, but a dealer near me sells them online for $468.

None of us has seen the car, so it’s difficult to confirm or refute the diagnosis you’ve been given. Did the mechanic say anything about how he determined that the Power Management Control ECU was the faulty part?

The Power Management Control ECU has an important role in the shift control system, but in general, ECUs themselves are the least likely parts to fail: it’s more common for the trouble to be in wires, connectors, or sensors and actuators. The computers have extensive self-diagnostic capabilities; were any warning lights displayed when you tried to shift to neutral?

Did the mechanic use a Toyota Techstream diagnostic system, or equivalent, to check for diagnostic trouble codes? If the mechanic works on all kinds of cars, he might have had only a generic scan tool made for engine and emissions diagnosis, which wouldn’t have been able to communicate with hybrid-specific computers like the Power Management Control ECU.

The Power Management Control ECU also doesn’t have much to do with the headlights, especially if the problem is only on one side. If the fuses and lamps (bulbs) are OK, headlight trouble is more likely to be a problem with a wire, connector, lamp socket, or relay, or perhaps—but less likely—with a different computer, the Main Body ECU, which handles several miscellaneous functions.

When there are problems with unrelated systems, I’d look for a common cause, like a damaged wiring harness. Several PriusChat members have reported trouble from rodents gnawing on the wires, who of course don’t take care to damage only one system at a time. Another possibility is that a connector or fuse was disturbed during your troubleshooting for the headlight problem.
    Maybe the operator was concerned about damaging your car or surrounding structures, but a good towing service should be able to extract a car from just about anywhere, regardless of its condition, by putting dollies under the wheels, if necessary. If the tow truck was dispatched by an auto club or roadside assistance plan, perhaps they don’t pay for this extra labor. I’d try calling other towing companies before giving up.
    I assume it’s getwrench.com.

8. Barbara Bender

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Those are all good questions. I think the mechanic had a generic computer. If the Power management ECU is behind the glove box
    is it possible I disconnected something when I opened the glove box? It opens a little funny- not smoothly. I was digging in there for
    light bulbs. I've thought about rodents but it has been so hot that I don't think that they would be under the hood. The only
    warning light was the yellow orange triangle in the left side of the display. The dealer
    quoted me $1000.00 for the ECU.

9. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    That’s possible, but the connectors are locking types that are designed not to come out inadvertently.
    If that master warning light is on, there should be one or more diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs)—each a letter (B, C, P, or U) followed by four or more digits or letters—stored in the car’s computers. Every DTC has a specific troubleshooting procedure in the Repair Manual, available by subscription to techinfo.toyota.com or through the ChiltonLibrary service from public libraries (such as SPL or KCLS).
    I wouldn’t be inclined to replace an ECU, especially at that cost, without knowing which DTC or DTCs are present and that the appropriate diagnostic steps from the Repair Manual have been done to confirm the cause of the trouble. The dealer should do this, as would a competent independent shop.

It’s disappointing that the mobile mechanic didn’t give you more information, though. It might be worthwhile to have a different mobile mechanic—preferably one that has a Toyota Techstream system and knows how to use it—attempt to diagnose the car, especially if having it towed would be costly or impractical.

10. Barbara Bender

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thank you for all you help. I finally managed to have the car towed. Third tow truck was a charm. I took it to the dealer.
    Paid for a second diagnosis. It turned out - it was the 12 volt battery.
    Get Wrench - the mobile mechanic company blew it. I started to know that they did not know what they were talking about- when they
    told me that they were having trouble finding the part. I am thankful that you all told me that it is seldom the ECU.

I feel foolish for not just going to get a battery and sticking it in. :0

Barbara

donbright, bisco and RMB like this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good call.(y)

12. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I’m more surprised the original battery lasted this long, mine gave out in 4-5 years.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  13. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My original lasted 8.5 years :).

Would’ve lasted longer, but I got 12.3 volts after sitting overnight and figured I wouldn’t tempt fate any further(y).

NutzAboutBolts likes this.