1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Power Mode button - my findings so far

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by longterm, May 9, 2012.

1. longterm

longterm Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    After driving my car in Nashville's hills for about 3 weeks, here's what I'm seeing:

If I drive in EV-only, no PWR mode, I can almost make the 10-mile round trip to my son's school without the ICE, and this is with some very small hills.

Someone recommended that i switch into PWR mode, so over the last few days I've tried that as well. Here's what I see:

1. Car feels snappier; I don't know if I'm sacrificing gas mileage for that though.

2. The tendency to have the ICE kick in seems even MORE prevalent, not less; it seems to me that if I drive without PWR mode, I can stay out of the ICE more consistently.

My latest plan is to not stress over the ICE kicking in, but it's a bit irritating that a less than 10-mile drive should involve any gas at all.

I'd be interested to hear what other drivers are seeing in hilly areas.

2. FUUFNF

FUUFNF Forum Lurker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Have you tried using Eco mode as well?

3. longterm

longterm Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No, I haven't; can it be used alongside PWR mde, or is it either/or? Have you used it, and has it helped? I'd think it'd make the problem worse instead of better.

4. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If extended Ev range, delayed ICE operation and improved economy are your goals, ECO mode is what you want, not PWR mode.

No, it can't be used alongside anything, they are individual throttle sensitivity selections. ECO, normal, PWR. Normal is toggling off ECO or PWR.

5. iRun26.2

iRun26.2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Really?! I thought it was a choice of only two: ECO or POWER. I've only used ECO because I want optimum gas mileage. I have no trouble keeping the ICE off unless I choose to use it.

6. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, really :). My 2010 Prius had the same thing, ECO, standard (which is neither ECO or PWR lit up), and PWR

They affect the gas pedal response/travel, as well as how the HVAC behaves as well.

7. longterm

longterm Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'll give that a try; PWR mode definitely causes the ICE to kick in more often; it did it again for me this morning.

I'll be curious to see if ECO mode makes the car feel more sluggish than when it's just in EV mode.

8. FUUFNF

FUUFNF Forum Lurker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It will make the car feel more sluggish. From what I understand, Eco Mode dampens throttle sensitivity and adjusts the torque for maximum energy efficiency. It also makes it easier to "glide" while driving. The loss in "pep" results in an decrease in consumption.

9. longterm

longterm Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    After trying ECO mode for a couple of days, driving the same <9 mile trip, I'm seeing the ICE kick in almost the same amount as when I drive in EV with neither PWR mode or ECO mode.

This morning, I thought I might make the whole trip without the ICE, but didn't make it. I've been driving very gently, not fast, not accelerating on hills, but the ICE kicked in after about 7 miles, after which it stayed on until it was through its warmup cycle.

10. fberger

fberger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My daily commute is also quite hilly, and I have learned now how to get the most out of the battery. I never need the ICE for my daily commutes. When I reach my destination and add up what I drove on EV and what's left on the display, I usually get 14+ miles. Car displays about 12.5 miles available after a full charge.

What the technique comes down to is to not use electricity when going over 45-50 mph.

Anyways, what I found that increased my EV mileage was this: when going downhill, I try to accelerate gently at the beginning to fit in traffic. Then as the car accelerates, I lift my foot off the gas pedal only slightly. I do not want to go into regen, because regen only gives you about 50% of the energy back. I would rather get some speed to help me get back on the next hill as far as possible without needing extra EV. I reach the bottom of the slope at pretty high speed, then let the car slow down as I start to go up the next hill. I still have the EV gauge on neutral, no regen and no acceleration (kind of a glide on a Gen II). I only start to press the accelerator when my speed goes back down to less than 45 mph (traffic conditions permitting of course) going up the next hill.

I also found that EV mode has a reaction time longer than ICE. Be patient when you need to accelerate. Use a little bit, then wait to see the effect. You will see the gauge move up, but won't feel the effect on torque right away. Anticipate when you are going to need to accelerate so you can give the motor only what it will need a couple of seconds later.

11. longterm

longterm Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I wish that would work for me; these aren't huge hills here, but almost every morning, the slightest incline will cause the ICE to kick in.

I coast all the time; at the beginnings of inclines, I accelerate only as much as I need to get up the hill. As to turning EV on and off as I drive, that seems like much too much trouble. I want to just drive the car, I don't want to have to be an EV-hawk, constantly switching in and out of EV mode. I don't think that's what Toyota engineers had in mind as they designed this vehicle.

I don't think I've done a trip to school and back in a morning (<10 miles) without the ICE kicking in, no matter what I do; I'm driving at very reasonable speeds, not accelerating much, trying to be gentle on the inclines, but it kicks in.I've tried EV, EV/ECO, EV/PWR, all with basically the same results, although ECO mode is definitely pokey.

Overall, I'm not dissatisfied though; as my MPG hovers around 90MPG, what is there to fuss about...

I'm seeing much better mileage on the highway too; I just made a 1500-mile trip, and averaged 53MPG, compared to the 42-44 I was getting with my 07 Prius (which never got upper-40s like lots of people get).

I just wish I could drive the PHEV normally, without worrying about whether the ICE will kick on the smallest of inclines.

12. bielinsk

bielinsk Gremlin

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    In my limited 3 days, I have noticed that POWER and AC will get the ICE running, and I actually expect that. If I am in POWER, it thinks its going to need the engine so it warms it up and gets it ready to go. So it sips a little gas to prepare the engine, then I return to EV until ICE is required.

I like that the car just seems more responsive in power.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    longterm, are you sure you're climate control is 'off', temp set to 'low', fan 'off'? the engine coming on at the slightest incline makes no sense from my experience. have you tried driving other less hilly routes to see how far you can go without ice kicking in?

14. longterm

longterm Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Well, there *are* no less hilly routes; no matter how I head out of my neighborhood, I have to traverse hills.

I've tried without A/C, but in ECO I think I gad it running. I'll try it tomorrow morning without the A/C.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good luck, keep us posted!

16. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    First thing AM, I don't think the EV will work. Once the car is warmed up and the battery is charged, EV Mode seems to work fine. I can usually get the last mile home via EV mode. I have slight hill to make and EV mode handles it with the power bar going into the right hand area, accelerates up the hill. As long as I keep it under 25 mph and don't push it. It's a 25 mph street.

The EV is touchy as to when it works and I just take what it gives, assuming the car has some reason for it.

Not too bad, kind of like electronic downshifting. I like the control of choosing EV, ECO or PWR (I'm mostly in PWR, more fun and I seem to get better mileage).

What they don't know won't hurt our warranty.

17. bfd

bfd Plug-In Perpetuator

Close to SDSU in the Far Southwest Corner of Cali
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I haven't had trouble getting out in EV mode, but winter is past us now. It's usually between 58-60ºF in the morning when I leave. Fast forward to December and January, when it's in the 40º's and maybe there will be different results. I am hoping that with heated seats, I'll be able to leave the heater off until I hit the freeway and shift into HV. However, I am now not even sure if the Prius heater works like a conventional car heater. If it's like a heat pump, then I suspect that any time it's turned on, it's using electricity irrespective of the engine or water temp.

18. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

Do you use the HSI while you are driving? What screen do you have displayed on the MID while you drive ?

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    prox suns, are you talking about the plug in?

20. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Nope. Sorry thought this was about us peasants using the EV mode button.