1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Power Mode button - my findings so far

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by longterm, May 9, 2012.

1. longterm

longterm Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't have a headsup display; on the console I watch the display that shows what mode I'm in (whether I'm using EV or ICE).

This morning I left the house with the A/C totally off--no fan.

From my driveway to the main street is 1/2 mile; I can slip the car into neutral and get up to 44 MPH, which gives you an idea of how much of a downhill slope it is.

By the time I got to the red light at the end of my subdivision, while I was in DRIVE, the engine had come on. This is was in EV / ECO mode, no fan, my foot completely off the gas pedal.

I'm giving up on this quest to completely go without ICE on my school commutes; nothing I do makes any difference and I'm going to quit worrying about it and just enjoy my car.

2. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It sounds like you are leaving the house with a full battery and during your short drive to the traffic light intersection, you're regenerating enough electricity that the ICE comes on.

You mention you use Neutral down that first section. Is it possible to use Neutral all the way to the intersection?

You could also leave the house with a "less than full" battery, but to time it correctly,would be more of a hassle (at least I think it would be).

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think track has it nailed. you could end charge after 2 hours and see what happens.

4. longterm

longterm Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's less than a half-mile; usually the ICE comes on a little later, but this morning it came on while I glided to the light. I was in DRIVE and not in neutral.

It's possible, but this morning I wanted to see what would happen, plus I was thinking I'd regenerate if I was in DRIVE. This is the first time I've gotten the ICE within this first little downhill. Also, because the Prius glides so well, I get going too fast in my neighborhood, where the speed limit is 30--I sometimes get up to 44MPH gliding down the hill in my neighborhood.

I *could*, but why would I want to do that?

I've tried EV in ECO, EV in PWR, just EV; in all 3 situations, with or without the fan, the ICE has kicked on somewhere during the trip, which is less than 9 miles round-trip.

5. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Well, it seems you are regenerating to the point where the engine will start up to prevent "over filling" the battery. So if you left the house with a "less than full" battery, the idea would be that you would just regenerate on your way down the hill to "top off" the pack. This should prevent the ICE from starting during your descent down the hill. However..

If the ICE is starting during other portions of your 9 mile trip, then I guess it doesnt really matter all that much if you are able to prevent the ICE from starting immediately after leaving the house

Even with the ICE kicking on during your commute, how is your gas mileage?

6. dwcerra

dwcerra New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    For what it's worth I was told my my dealrship to primarilly keep my car in ECO mode or EV depending if I'm city or freeway and only use Power Mode when I need quick rapid accelleration such as when passing a vehicle on a freeway or entering a freeway from an on-ramp. I does use more gas & yes, kickes on the ICE sooner...hence more power.