1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Power mode is by far the best mode to be on to get the highest MPG?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Fuel Economy' started by TheChosenOne, Feb 8, 2016.

1. PaulDM

PaulDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Yes UK mpg

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    89.4 Imperial gallons is 107.4 US gallons. Not too shabby.
    Edit: Oops!!! We're supposed to be talking MPG, not gallons.
    89.4 Imperial MPG is 74.4 US MPG. Still not bad.

I can't argue that Power mode is not better in a regular Prius at highway speeds. It may well be better. Not sure about low speed stop and creep traffic. I do know for a fact that in the Prime in EV mode, ECO makes it infinitely easier to precisely control the throttle at low speeds. I get way more miles/kWh in the city in ECO. At higher speeds it probably doesn't make as much difference. All due to the slope of the throttle mapping.

#42 jerrymildred, Jun 1, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
    PaulDM and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. PaulDM

PaulDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Agreed. Just quoting my exp. certainly UK is smaller and today’s drive was in 26c but consistently I found this. Same journey on eco mode 5mpg less. I think the difference is “need for foot” so PWR mode wins on not needing too much ice 0-10 and the fact that pwr mode charges longer when battery drops below 20% than eco mode.

#43 PaulDM, Jun 1, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
    jerrymildred likes this.
  4. GalaxyRain

GalaxyRain Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Does Power mode change the eco coaching results? Today I turned off my car and it showed me a score of 53 and told me I need to ease off my accelerator. (Wasn’t expecting my new car to sass at me about my driving! Lol) Anyway, I had tried using the coach mode and keeping the bar in the good range but I accelerated so slowly that people behind me just aren’t going to put up with that. While I’m actually out driving I usually have a pretty good score between 70-90; it’s only when I have a lot of traffic lights to deal with that my score drops. Would power mode matter at all?

5. PaulDM

PaulDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Coach mode is still there and everything moves faster in power mode. Less foot required certainly so may help your 53

GalaxyRain likes this.