1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Power Mode on v Mileage

Discussion in 'Prius v Fuel Economy' started by hoddy4, Apr 4, 2012.

1. hoddy4

hoddy4 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Today I drove a 25 mile round trip that I often take into the city of Wilmington NC. I drove in the Power mode and tried not to use any of mileage saving techniques that I sometimes take. In other words, I tried to drive it like I would drive my 2004 Toyota Sienna. In the Power mode, the car is much more responsive to me. For the trip, I averaged over 54 mpg which is similar to what I get when I drive more conservatively. (I should note that whenever I report numbers, I am reporting the computer numbers. From what I gather, calculated numbers seem to be about 2.5% less.)

2. syscon

syscon Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    What is your result per tank, not per trip?
    Per trip calculation is not very accurate.

3. hoddy4

hoddy4 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    54.4 electronically. The only reason I look at it per trip is to get an idea of how the route/conditions are effecting mileage.

4. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your results are similar to what several Gen III Prius (not "V") owners have found. Some (including myself) have actually seen better MPG results from using Power mode over ECO mode.
    See details here.. http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-main-forum/106265-i-like-power-mode.html

5. syscon

syscon Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'm still in testing stage but I agree with your. In city only driving (short trips 10-16km) computer is showing 4.3 to 4.2L/100km (equivalent 54.7 to 56MPG). Driving in ECO mode but pressing the gas firmly and letting it go 1 to 2 bars below center line when I get up to speed.

6. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

The Prius' lower power to weight ratio means that on hilly terrain that the Prius gets better fuel efficiency if the *Driving with Load* hypermiling technique is used - this requires that the Prius speeds up/accelerates (especially when going downhill) before going uphill. On a flat road surface, the hypermiling technique *Pulse and glide* is more fuel efficient if the Prius is accelerated quickly and the pulse phase/distance is very short compared to the glide phase/distance. As long as the Prius doesnot lose linear momentum(by stopping, slow down by braking, or going into a tight curve at a very hi speed) and the Prius does not have to sustain a speed of greater than 45 mph the Prius' MPGs should be quite high. Power/normal modes which allow for quicker acceleration can allow for better "timing" of Prius accelerations so they are more energy efficient.

7. namvijnas

namvijnas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I seem to be doing something wrong. THe best MPG i have got is 42.5. My city vs highway driving is about 70-30. City trips vary between 4-5 miles. Temp here is ain the high 70's-80's. Tyre pressure is 39 psi. Driving only on normal mode with pulse and glide and trying to keep bars around the middle green bar. Though on stop signs have to sometimes get to the red zone depending on if traffic is behind me. Car is 30 days old.
    Any tips on increasing the mpg number ? Is this low due to break in ?