1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Power outage

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Aug 11, 2020.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    power_map.jpg
    Pretty impressive power outage map after a storm front moved through. I suspect a substation failed or power lines feeding a substation. The automatic generator fired up and kept me awake.

Bob Wilson

2. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    We received almost 1" of rain just after midnight, but I never heard it, this time. It usually wakes me up. It must have gotten stronger as it moved down I-40 to you.

Anytime you can get 1" of ran in August in OK, you'll take it. We've been running above 95 every day. It was 68° when I walked a few minutes ago. It was almost cold. :rolleyes:

3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That derecho hit my sister, nephew, etc in Iowa pretty hard. They are also 2/o power this morning.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My power is still on, but there's a broken tree branch hanging from my service drop that I'm really not tempted to go grab (even though I'm sure the insulation on the drop wires was perfectly fine 30 years ago or whenever when it was run).

Just got off the phone with my utility, who told me as long as the power is on it isn't their problem.

5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They're wrong about that, although I suspect it will keep for now.
    Most of the things on their side on the power meter is a 'them' thing.

jerrymildred likes this.
  6. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Drop a note to your news station "in your corner" group or equivalent telling them what the utility told you. It will get addressed.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Handled, using a long 1✕3 and a pair of Toyota-compliant electrical gloves. (Not every battle has to be chosen....)

branch.jpg

Managed to hang itself up on every one of three services.

By the by, a few years ago a friend of mine hosted a party, and had a helium tank for balloons, and then asked me to figure out what's supposed to happen to the used tank.

It turns out the small tanks for balloon parties are not wanted back by the gas suppliers; the right thing to do (around here at least) is empty it, bash an obvious hole in the side, and leave it for curbside pickup with the hole showing, so they know it's not pressurized.

But I harvested the nifty balloon-filling valve first:

filler.jpg

You use it by sticking your balloon (or whatever) over the soft rubber end, then pushing it sort of sideways to let air flow. It's nice and controllable.

The FoodSaver vacuum-storage folks sell an accessory for evacuating a Mason jar. It isn't canning (no heat involved), but nice if you'd like to keep some stuff in a jar without air around.

[​IMG]

Turns out that, plus a little balloon filler, is just right for stretching the gauntlet of an electrical glove around and doing a good air leakage test.

sealer.jpg

I have never been able to do a convincing test just by rolling the glove up the way you see in demos. Just can't make that work. I'm apparently glove-rolling-up-challenged.

The balloon filler by itself is also very useful for sticking up the gauntlet and helping get the wretched glove off your hand, in case you might have perspired a little or maybe not used enough glove powder.

jerrymildred likes this.