1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Power Outlet mod question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Uncle Flip, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Uncle Flip

Uncle Flip New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'd love to mod my front (under dash) power outlet for continuous power. I've seen a mod online here:

Power Outlet Mod

It says this is for 2004-2009 Prii. Does anyone know if those mod would work for a 2010? I've not gotten under the dash to see it it looks compatible.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Be well
    -UF

king mob likes this.
  2. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome to PC :) Yes, this mod is possible. You would locate the red wire inside the driver's left side kick panel and run a T-tap from it (using your red wire) to the black colored wire on the backside of the outlet. This should give you an "always hot" outlet. The escutcheon with the outlet can be carefully pried out with a thin-bladed screwdriver.

3. Uncle Flip

Uncle Flip New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Cool- so basically replace the light green wire with the red one, and the solid white with the black, then. Do you know a terminal block location for the red wire (just to make sure I get the correct one), or will it be pretty obvious?

Thanks very much for your help!

Be well
    -UF

4. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    @UF: here's a link on PC picturing the red wire with a T-tap on it:
    12 volt power sources for accessories | PriusChat
    You would do the same and route your new wire (I suggest red so anyone in the future would know it's hot) to the black wire on the back of the outlet (mine was black). You should first test that you've picked the right wire on the back of your outlet by touching a test lamp to your "green" wire with accessory mode on and the other end to a ground. It should light up if you have the right wire. Now with the car off again, CUT that wire to the outlet and join the new red wire to the back of the harness clip on the outlet. Tape over the abandoned wire so it can't short.

I would think you can route your new red wire above the driver's top kick panel to the console to hide it. Please click "like" if this was helpful.

5. Uncle Flip

Uncle Flip New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OK, that helps. I was concerned about it being obvious which red wire I was to look for (in the event there's more than one red wire).

My brother is the electrical genius in the family (he even repairs endoscopes for a living), so this should all be child's play for him. He probably knows the difference between a green wire and a "green" wire. :)

Thanks again!

Be well
    -UF