1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Power outlets in the Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by zzrguy, Jul 20, 2015.

1. zzrguy

zzrguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok I have two kids and a wife who are a addicted to their devices is there anyway to add power outlet to this car with out adversely affect the wiring and function of the car and devices.
    If this was my 1994 760 Volvo I'd just cut in some new outlet but it's not.
    So what are you guys doing to add outlet.

#1 zzrguy, Jul 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Editorial: "addicted to devices" right? :ROFLMAO:

And "two kids"? Just being picky.

Was at a bday party the other day, and ALL the kids were huddled on the couch avec devices..., a little dismaying. :(

3. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Something like this perhaps.

Or

kc5dlo likes this.
  4. zzrguy

zzrguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Holly crap this phone spell check is killing me ok edited

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. zzrguy

zzrguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We are going on a trip at the end of the month and with the GPS, 3 ipads, 1 ipod (for music), 2 smartphones(one not so smart:rolleyes:) and the DVD player I'm running out of outlet quick and/over taxing the ones I have..
    Has anyone run auxiliary outlet?

6. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    silly question; and.... do you MUST have all of the devices connected at the same time?

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I use a portable battery pack similar to this

Adreama PowerBank 2800mAh Portable Charger (ADPB28BK) - Black : Power Banks - Best Buy Canada

Otherwise, a splitter for the 12V outlets would work. You have two outlets - under the shifter and inside the centre console so that's 4 USB devices.

Your iPads and iPod will last the day so just recharge at the hotel. You only have to worry about the smartphones and DVD player (so 3 items). They're covered by the 12V-to-USB splitter.

Another option is something like this

Duracell 175W Power Inverter (DRINVPS175) : USB Car Chargers - Best Buy Canada

Just be aware that the Prius' 12V battery is smaller than a regular car (It doesn't have to power the alternator to start after all) so just be conscientious of power usage.

8. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Did you see my response above this post you posted?

See post number 3 in your thread..

;)

9. zzrguy

zzrguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was hopen to see something a little more integrated into the car.
    You'd be suprise how fast my kids burn throw the charge on they devices.

#10 zzrguy, Jul 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  11. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I've never given much thought to how the power outlets in a vehicle work, so forgive me if this is a stupid question, but don't power outlets run off the electrical system, so isn't the limiting factor how much power it puts out (given the 10 amp fuse in the circuit) vs how big the 12v battery is, unless you're on ACC of course? And since the outlets are not active when the power is off, the 12v shouldn't be affected, should it?

12. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    For additional power the 12V battery under the hatch floor, right rear is very accessible. DO use an "inline" fuse if connecting to it. As close to the battery as possible. I run my Amateur radio this way. Also be aware, if connecting this way, the load will be there after you power the car off. So good if charging a cellphone, bad if they leave lots of things on. ;) Be aware, your 12V battery is about 38 A-Hr, so even a 1 Amp load overnight should not discharge it too much. But as always, YMMV.

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The world's in a concerning state of flux, the amount of time and attention kids direct to these portable electronics. Doubly troubling where it's going. Or maybe not; it'll level off? I hope so.

I remember when we just had the two pre-schoolers, early '80's. Our first car, didn't even have a radio. One day going on a drive, our kids brought along a small portable radio. Tuned in an oldies station. We drove sedately outa the apartment complex, with the famous stripper theme song grinding away. :)

#14 Mendel Leisk, Jul 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  14. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Someday soon one of those crumb-snatchers is going to leave a gizzywhopper plugged in and drain your aux battery.

Look into one of these:

Throw it in the back with the kids and you have power for two of their devices AND the perfect way to bootstrap a Prius with a dead Aux battery.

Good Luck!

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You're right but yeah I was thinking if they were parked in ACC and were still charging. Granted, leaving the headlights on probably uses more power than 5 charging electronic devices. Maybe I'm being worried for nothing :)

16. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No, I don't think so, but the way you phrased it made me question my understanding. :)

And now I have another question. Doesn't the Prius shut down the ACC after a certain period of time to avoid draining the battery? I suspect that would disable anything plugged into the power outlets.

I second the Power All suggestion. I used it at weekend ball games the last 2 weekends to keep our phones charged so we could text what was happening to our daughter and friends. It hadn't been charged since I bought it last August, but it kept 2 phones charged for 4 games over 3 days one weekend and another for 2 games the other weekend. I recharged it last night, so we're ready for the trip home next month. I paid $100, so I think it's a bargain at $80. :)

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, after 1 hour.

18. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I thought it went off when you shut off the car. It does on my car (outlets go dead). I used to have a relay powered by the outlet power (tapped under the console to the wire that supplies the cig/acc outlet). The relay switched the direct battery feed on and off. I could then leave my Amateur radio on and it would go on and off automatically with the car. In acc mode they are on of course. For other reasons I now operate the Amateur radio directly from the battery without the relay and have programmed it for "auto off" after 30 min.

I purchased the "Micro-Start XP-10" by "Antigravity Batteries". It's an 18 A-Hr lithium battery, able to start large vehicle engines, supply laptop power, and supply aux. 12V power. I use it often for remote location radio operation (Amateur). Small, light, and powerful. It's twice as expensive as the one mentioned above though.

19. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If this was a regular car, I'd get a 12v/120v DC/AC inverter and hard wire it to the battery on a fused link...maybe use a relay to turn it off when the car's not set to "ON." More juice than you'll need to charge all of your devices.

Not sure if it would be safe to do with the Prius' smaller 12v battery. Someone with more electrical know-how would have to chime in.