1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Power split device ATF level measurement device: ideas?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Robert Holt, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Having lost a Saturn due to not having a transmission fluid dipstick, I would strongly like to have a convenient way to check the level of ATF in the Prius power-split transmission.
    Jacking it up until it's level and then removing the 6-bolts and 12-clip under cladding took me a good hour, so I really want a better method.
    Suggestion: Take a solid threaded plug that fits the transmission fill hole (I bought mine from "Mike") , then drill 2 small holes to insert two insulated wires with exposed bare ends about 1 centimeter apart inside the transmission. Run the two insulated wires up to the top of the engine bay where you can easily attach a volt-ohm meter. When the car is parked slanted slightly to the passenger side, the level of the ATF(which would be at the lower edge of the fill plug when the car is level) ought to cover the exposed ends of the wires and result in a notice able decrease from infinite ohm resistance. If you slant the car over and do NOT get a decrease in resistance, that is the sign to get the level of ATF checked and adjusted .
    I realize that we have to calibrate this system to the exact level of slant required for a definitive reading, but I would be a lot more likely to do this check on a monthly basis than I am to ever roll it up on ramps, level the car, and remove the bleeding splash shield to check the ATF level .
    But does anyone have better ideas?
    (Moderator: not sure I have right forum, so please shift as necessary.)

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm not sure you need to remove the splash shield, especially just to access the fill bolt, check the level.

Holes thru the fill bolt are concerning to me: is there some pressure build up, which might cause any sealant to pop out, or suck in?

My take, if you've filled it correctly, and there's no leaks, the level's still right. I've done a couple of changes now, level never changed.

Robert Holt likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    don't recall anyone ever losing tranny fluid, except a report of factory fill being a little lower than the hole. sounds like quite a project, i'll be watching the process, all the best!(y)

4. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I doubt there's much pressure differential in there. I've noticed what appears to be a vent fitting on top of the transmission. Still, running those wires through a plug in a way that reliably won't leak or short, and getting them fine tuned and routed seems like a lot of work to solve a non-problem, so I agree with your "take."

Does fresh WS even have sufficient conductivity for the method to work? Toyota's propaganda would have us believe any other transmission lubricant is conductive enough to threaten the motor windings.

5. Robert Holt

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Transmissions I've worked on previously have all had vents of some type, so think I would be ok on pressure. Temps get high but RTV sealant rated for transmissions ought to be good for temp and exposure to ATF over long periods.
    BUT, if no one has had tranny failure due to low fluid in a Gen 3 Prius, then it is truly a non-problem and I would be wasting my time. I just didn't like the looks of those metal crush washers when I finished changing the ATF on our Prius last week. With all the under cladding to absorb a slow leak, I am no absolutely sure I would notice it in time and hence the desire to have an objective indicator.
    Will check if ATF would have a non-infinite resistance reading as this method depends on that.
    The alternative of designing an ATF fluid level dipstick seems to me to involve even more complex fabrication and difficult installation.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. Robert Holt

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Nuts! Toyota ATF is truly dielectric and I measures the same infinite-ohm resistance in the new ATF as I did at the same 2 centimeter distance in open air. Therefore, the two wire probes idea will not work.

Other ideas?
    E.g. Pressure- actuated Micro-switch on inside of fill plug with leads thru it to outside? I am leery of the danger of anything mounted on the plug coming loose and getting smashed to bits in the planetary gear system.

E.g. Visual check using glass/lucite prism set in middle of plug that changes reflectance when submerged in ATF versus when inside tip is in air. I would connect a lucite tube to the outside and run it up to top of engine compartment for an easy visual check from the top.

Constructing and installing a fluid level dipstick would just take a heckuva lot of work as the spaces are tight in the engine/transmission compartment.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think this is cargo cult, ie: preparation for something that'll never happen. Or at least the odds are so long that it's a pound of prevention for an oz of cure.

I can commiserate tho: it's hard to let go sometimes.

Robert Holt likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    like inspecting and cleaning your rear brakes.

Mendel Leisk likes this.