1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Power Steering is "Stiff"

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by baumgrenze, Nov 30, 2013.

1. baumgrenze

baumgrenze Junior Member

Our 2004 Prius (71,275 miles) has not been driven much for the last 2 years. It is only used when we need to drive further than we can comfortably in our 2012 Leaf. Most of our trips are short.

Today the power steering feels stiff. I'm relying on my memory of what it felt like when it was new. Perhaps I am comparing it to the Leaf.

I started to check the power steering fluid reservoir and discovered that the power steering is not hydraulic but electrical and electronic.

Have others experienced this? It it a sign of a failing system? Should I expect increased trouble?

Thanks,

baumgrenze

2. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Are the tires at the correct pressure? Low tire pressure could be a factor , check with a gauge to be sure.

3. baumgrenze

baumgrenze Junior Member

Just a few days ago I filled them (Nokian i3's) to 42 psi front/40 psi rear. These seem to be very nice tires. They replaced the OEM tires at 35,395 miles and show about half the wear the OEM's did at comparable miles.

I don't think it is the tires.

thanks,

baumgrenze

4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The power steering on the Prius being electronically controlled either works or does not. So if the system stops working the steering becomes very heavy particularly when stationary. Unlike hydraulic systems that can give less assistance if oil pressure drops or the drive belt to the pump slips.
    It is most likely you are comparing the steering to the Leaf.

John (Britprius)

5. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think the trouble would possibly be the steering motor, rather than the steering ECU (controller), since no error lights are mentioned. If the steering ECU goes, there is often (but not always) a warning on the MFD. If it is the motor, the brushes could be at fault, and maybe a judicious tap could get them to reset on the commutator. Both scenarios are met here from time to time.

It can be a DIY task to repair, but you will potentially need the mini VCI tool to center the steering. Otherwise, if you give your location in your profile, there might be an independent Prius shop nearby. The dealer will be the last resort.

6. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    A couple of questions:

1. What part in the steering mechanism gives the "normal heavy/substantial" feeling to the steering?
    2. Any independent Prius shops in Illinois, Indiana, Missouri that anyone is aware of that can diagnose steering related issues?