1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Power Steering loss -- dodge van

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cyberpriusII, Apr 18, 2021.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have not been around. Have some really significant issues going on -- so, sorry have not been a participant lately.

Anyway, two years ago, I was driving a relative's minivan -- don't remember the exact year, but it is around 20 years old. Lost power steering momentarily on a curve. I managed to keep control and all was well and nobody, including myself, have noticed any problems -- until today.

Once again, lost power steering on a curve -- managed to maintain control. But, for the next 30 minutes, no problem.

I will call my mechanic in the morning, but any "ah-ha's?"

Fluid looks good, although I assume it is the original....
    kris

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My sister's Subaru SUV had a pressure-relief valve in the power steering pump that would, um, relieve the pressure under more circumstances than was absolutely necessary.

The price for the pump was kind of steep, but the valve was available separately, and reasonable. We had to email links about it to her favorite repair shop to convince them they could actually replace the valve and not just swap the whole pump.

Speaking of links ... Benchworks Steering Systems Guide to Diagnosing Problems with Pump Pressure Relief Valve | Benchwork Steering Systems

Belt tension is another possibility; when you're turning is when the steering pump is doing work, so if the belt might slip a bit sometimes, those might be the times. Slipping belts often make a squealing noise though.

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Was the curve a sharp one, or taken at speed? Could something be sloshing in the tank? Or if the fluid is on the low side, the slosh could bring some air into the system.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Since I was taking a relative to the ER, I would like to say I was traveling at 85 mph and spinning out of control.

But, I was stopped at a traffic light and made a left turn onto a cross street. Mild turn radius. Minimal speed.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Low-speed turning is when the effort is highest. If either a relief valve is going to relieve or a belt is going to slip, that's likely to be when.

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Seems sloshing isn't the only way to get air into the system; a pressure change with fluid level low will do, but...
    air in the system means squealing and noises from the pump.

Check the belt. If it's old or cracked, change it. Flushing out the old fluid looks to be a simple DIY job. The hardest part will be getting a return line off the pump. How to Check Power Steering Fluid (and When to Change it) – AMSOIL Blog

7. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey, all.

I am in the midst of some life-changing issues -- gosh. I would think I have had enough already, but anyway, I am short on time, energy and patience, but did want to quickly jump in and thank you all for the ideas/suggestions.

My mechanic, whom I trust pretty much (well, he did screw up a carburetor awhile back), looked it over and said everything is fine.

His only suggestion is that they could replace the entire system, which would be several thousand.

He said the van is only worth $1,200, on a good day. He suggested I junk it. He does not think there will be any massive failure, but he did not guarantee it and he did mention that this van does not have the most stellar reliability record.

Still, I have been driving it....if you don't hear from me again. LOL!!!
    kris

8. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good Luck!