1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Power to fuel pump

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Glenninmb, Dec 25, 2021.

1. Glenninmb

Glenninmb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi there
    2008 Prius, no ICE start with pushbutton start. Fuses are good all relays under hood check out. Fuel pump works when power and ground are applied directly to tank male plug. Control module that is located by the glovebox has been replaced. When brake and push button applied there is a short pulse of power at the plug to fuel pump but it does not last longer then a millisecond. Any help is appreciated

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

One would think that there are warning lights being displayed on the dash, and generally speaking that also means that there are OBD2 codes (DTCs) being stored in the ECUs. Visit each of the local auto parts stores (even within the same chain) and ask for a free code scan, record the results (the reported DTCs) from each free scan and post them here for additional guidance.

It sounds like you might have DTC P3190 at a minimum, have you gone step by step though the workup?

FYI : you're moderated until you've posted 5 times.

3. Glenninmb

Glenninmb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi and thanks for the reply. When everything is hooked up normally , i get red triangle of death and when scanned P3190 comes up a toyota specific code i'm told. If i bypass plug at tank and run a 12 volt battery to pump i get no error codes and car runs fine. I have driven it like this for over 1000 kms with out a problem but would like to fix the issue

4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  5. Aegean

Aegean Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I assumed you checked the C/OPN relay itself. Do you get 12v at this relay when it is closed or just a pulse as well?

6. JiPe_az

JiPe_az Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I am having this exact issue. 2004 Prius. I thought it was the fuel pump so I ran a battery (12V) directly to the #7 and #3 leads and could hear the pump running. I checked the Amp draw at the pump through the battery and I am seeing 5 Amps. When I check to resistance on the pump (across leads #7, #3) I see 1-Ohm. I checked the Voltage on the leads to the pump while the engine is running and I see 13.6 Volts. I checked the fuel relay up front and it checked in spec as well. I Also checked to be sure it was not the pins by taking the wires (12 awg) from the battery I was using and plugging them directly into the leads for the wires and I still got the Error code P3190. It runs fine when I have external power from a batter powering the fuel pump. I am pretty stumped- any ideas what I can try next?

7. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So....
    IF the ICE won't run unless you directly "hotwire" the fuel pump (kind of difficult to follow your post), then you need to check the power supply to the pump.

It sounds like you checked the circuit opening relay. I would look at the white connector near the HV battery fan (under the interior panel behind the right rear wheel). There are 3 wires in that connector for the fan, and 1 wire for power to the fuel pump (from the C/O relay).

It's not uncommon to have a body seam leak around the tailgate that drips water onto that connector, and the resulting corrosion can disable the fan or the fuel pump. Usual repair is to splice around the connector and seal the cracks in the body seam.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

8. theory816

theory816 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Base
    If the control module in the glove box was replaced, I'm going to assume that this car has been tampered with in many ways and would be a diagnostic nightmare.

9. JiPe_az

JiPe_az Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    One
    UPDATE: After a bunch of testing, hair-pulling, and chasing things down I finally found the issue!

Thank you for the input and suggestions!

My issue ended up being a bad wire between the connector near the emergency brake (driver's kick panel) and the fuel pump.

What made this tricky was that the wire was not completely broken - it would still show 13.6V when the engine was running.
    The problem only showed itself when I tried to power a 60W headlight with the wire (simulating the 5A load that the fuel pump put on this circuit) - it would not emit ANY light. I even tried to power a small 12V solenoid with it and it would not switch it on. I then measured the resistance on the wire and found it to be 106K Ohm!

I replaced the wire (cut the old wire out about 3 inches from the connector on both sides) and that got everything working without errors.

I have put about 300 miles on since the fix and all appears to be fixed. I have a more complete write-up if anybody is interested in it - I was not able to post it because it had links and I am too new.

SFO, Aegean and mr_guy_mann like this.
  10. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Good job! Load testing the circuit is one the best ways to find a high resistance fault.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

JiPe_az likes this.
  11. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, we're interested, and you can copy and paste the images in as well. Just post 2 more times to get out of the "mod box", after 8.5 years.

JiPe_az likes this.