1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Power Train Removal

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by donzoh1, Oct 29, 2019.

1. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    If the drive shafts are removed first, is it possible to remove the entire power train from the top? I've seen a YouTube video removing the engine only from the top but not the whole power train.

2. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    why doesn't anyone care about this question???

bisco likes this.
  3. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Perhaps it was just overlooked. It’s also a question that has to be answered from experience, not just from published documentation: as you may know, the removal procedure in the Repair Manual (more info) says to lower the engine assembly, with the transaxle still attached, onto an engine lifter, with the car on a lift.

I’d also suggest asking the PriusChat moderators (use the “Report” button) to change the thread title. “Power Train Removal” could be about a hybrid-to-EV conversion or a similar flight of fancy, but “Can I lift out the engine and transaxle together?” would make it clear that yours is a practical question.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I don't have a lift so the only options I see are removal from the top or removing the front end parts until it comes out straight forward. Now, I'm leaning toward just the engine from the top, leaving the rest of the power train in place. With the left transaxle mount loose enough and tilting the motor up and out toward the passenger side, I'm thinking it will come out. I have another complete power train so will double check how much clearance is needed before the engine will clear the rest of the transaxle.