1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Powered woofer install w/ pics n instructions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by chrisspaulding, May 23, 2008.

1. Stefx

Stefx Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm interested in a self-powered subwoofer that I could put in the "trunk" area, but disconnect when I need full cargo space.
    Is that possible? Can the line and power cables have quick-connect connectors?

2. timmay1215

timmay1215 New Member

Sorry for the bump but i've been looking for some type of DIY since ive been home, does anyone have the pictures still available i cant see any pictures past

I'm very much a visual learner

3. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Shocked after a quick look at this thread that people need to pigeon hole others according to race in this day and age. Unbelievable! You know that people of all nations and race can read this don't you? This isn't a private conversation.

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I just noticed this thread is a million years old, it's late and I should go to bed.

5. Gaujo

Gaujo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Holy 3rd thread I've resurrected today Batman!

Sorry, I'm trying to figure this out too and it seems all of the old install threads have pics which are/were hosted by priuschat, but are missing :eek:.

6. Felix R

Felix R Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    by any chance maybe someone saved the installation pictures?

7. jacknyc

jacknyc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I used the Original Poster's instructions for an install of my new Kenwood KSCSW-11 subwoofer yesterday.

Very helpful, but some additional photos were needed because some of the original photos are gone. So I took a few photos that would have been useful for my job. 2007 Prius with no JBL, or any other options.

A few observations. The crimp-connectors (shown in my photos) for the splices absolutely did not work, even though I used the correct size. In the end, I removed them, and just sliced off some insulation and twisted the wires on the old fashioned way, wrapping them in electrical tape. Discovering that the connectors didn't work took a lot of testing and added frustration .:oops:

I followed the OP's instructions as to yellow/black left and red/white right; I assumed he got the polarity correct, but I am not sure. But the unit does work. There are multiple red, white, yellow and black wires, so a photo is helpful. I checked to see whether the wires were in the same spots in the two wiring harnesses to make sure they were all speaker wires.

Suggestion: run your wires roughly where you want them before making your connections. They can be tucked under the plastic trim pieces later. In my case, I had to cut and reconnect the speaker wires around the rear seat belts. Another suggestion - leave the remote control visible, because it lights up when the unit powers up; that's how you can test it.

The photos also show that I connected the red wire to the + terminal on the battery right near the terminal post. Just loosen the 10mm nut at the post and there are two plates into which the wire can be inserted, then re-tightened. I connected the black ground wire to where the negative post of the battery connects to the back wall of the car, next to the tail lights.

Where to connect the blue wire was a puzzle. While the red wire connects to an always-on source (the + terminal of the battery), the blue wire must connect to power that is only on when the car powers up. In the end, the most easily accessible location was to the center part of the lighter/power socket in the center console. My photo shows the wire wrapped around the WRONG connector (the one for the outside of the power socket); use the other one in my photo. Testing (with the remote nearby) will show which is correct.

I plan to leave the subwoofer unmounted for now, moving it around the car to see where the sound is best. Right now, it's in the hidden storage tray under the trunk, a lid, carpeting, my golf clubs and the pull-out visor. No wonder it sounds muffled! I'll try it behind/under right side red+ white-.jpg battery connection.jpg blue wire.jpg left side black+ yellow-.jpg the front seats.