1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PP 2017 battery degradation?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Rieuk, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Rieuk

Rieuk Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    That's a long while. I've just charged again today from battery depletion and once again I've only receive 5.4 kWh. Does anyone have ideas on how to solve this?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there is no way, it's a factory defect toyota refuses to address

3. CarlB

CarlB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Reading through this thread, I may have missed seeing where you mentioned if you use scheduled charging to end just before you are ready to leave. If you are not, I would try that, it sure seemed that another person observed some energy storage recovery over time by no longer leaving a full charge overnight.

The next is less evidence driven, but I'd think to try limiting charge current along with that. I know the driving discharge current is way more than an L2 charge current, but anything to "baby" the battery, I'd go for. For my L1 charging, I may limit charging to 8A. What the heck? Nothing to lose that I can see: Car still charged in the morning, ready for EV driving.

In the manual, I read something to the effect of, "Although the battery range may decrease over time, this does not indicate a problem. The car is still operating as intended." That last bit meaning "expected by Toyota," but not "expected by the customer." So here again, they're covering their large, corporate tuchus.

Trollbait, jerrymildred and bisco like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yup. and all ev's have a 'degradation' clause, to protect the mfg

CarlB likes this.
  5. CarlB

CarlB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I could see the unscrupulous at heart trying to come up with an untraceable way of "eighty-sixing" the battery after range loss gets too annoying. Or just before the 10 year / 150k mile warranty runs out. Not that I would actually consider such. :rolleyes::whistle:

"He's Dead, Jim!"

6. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    6.8 kWh? I get about 6.2 kWh and mine is brand-new.

7. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you use L2 EVSE? With OEM L1 EVSE, my average is 6.4-6.5kWh for a full charge, but it can get as high as 6.8kWh if HV portion of battery was low before plugging in, or battery heater or cooler or climate condition is used during charging.

8. Rieuk

Rieuk Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    So I charge at a charging station, not at a home charger. I drive away when charging is complete so there's no leaving it overnight.

I do wonder if the car is limiting the charge capacity as a response to changing charge patterns, though. There was a period of a couple months where I started using a 240V outlet at work to charge the car and maybe this caused the car to respond in a different way. I've since stopped that and only use L2 charging now. Is there anything in the manual that alludes to anything about the car deliberately limiting the charge capacity?

9. CarlB

CarlB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    According to the manual, the charge current would be limited for the following:

"In the following situations, charging time may become longer than normal:
    ●In very hot or very cold temperatures.
    ●<...>
    ●When the “Traction Battery Heater” operates.
    ●When the “Traction Battery Cooler” is operated before charging. (P. 136)
    ●<...>"

Under normal conditions Toyota must not see the need to limit current lower for their expectations of battery performance. But, Toyota likely accepts lower battery performance than we'd want to see as "normal."

Perhaps (and a very "perhapsy-perhaps") limiting charge current can help to promote battery longevity for a > 6.5 kW capacity that we'd want for the battery. (A hypothesis that would need to be tested.)

I'm guessing I want to limit battery charging current more than what Toyota accepts, in general. It really is a guess. Stop those lithium dendrites from creeping outward ...

#89 CarlB, Apr 22, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  10. Rieuk

Rieuk Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    To be clear I'm talking about the car limiting the capacity, not the charge current. Of course charge current may be modulated, but is it limiting the charge capacity in order to give more headroom for whatever reason...

Also — kW is not a capacity, it's power or rate of energy flow. Capacity is kWh.

11. CarlB

CarlB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    "Also — kW is not a capacity, it's power or rate of energy flow. Capacity is kWh."

Yes, of course. I sit corrected, thank you.

It is possible they modulate the lower and upper bounds of battery capacity. It would be for temperature concerns, or any other reason that a lower battery life would otherwise be predicted.

Perhaps if doing so, they reduce the incidence of hard-failures - which they absolutely don't want to pay for.

#91 CarlB, Apr 22, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  12. CarlB

CarlB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    From the manual:

"The hybrid battery (traction battery) capacity (the ability to hold a charge) reduces with time and use in the same way as other rechargeable batteries. The extent at which capacity reduces changes drastically depending on the environment (ambient temperature, etc.) and usage conditions, such as how the vehicle is driven and how the hybrid battery (traction battery) is charged.

This is a natural characteristic of lithium-ion batteries, and is not a malfunction. Also, even though the distance that can be driven in EV mode decreases when the hybrid battery (traction battery) capacity reduces, vehicle performance does not significantly become worse.

In order to reduce the possibility of the capacity reducing, follow the directions listed on P. 143, “Capacity reduction of the hybrid battery (traction battery)”.

p. 143:

"
    Capacity reduction of the hybrid battery (traction battery)

The capacity of the hybrid battery (traction battery) will decline gradually when the hybrid battery (traction battery) is in use. The rate at which it declines will differ in accordance with environmental conditions and the way in which the vehicle is used. Observing the following can help suppress battery capacity decline.

●Avoid parking the vehicle in areas with a high temperature under direct sunlight when the hybrid battery (traction battery) is fully charged.
    ●Avoid accelerating and decelerating frequently and suddenly when EV driving.
    ●Avoid frequent driving near the top speed for EV driving. (P. 95)
    ●Leave a low level of charge in the hybrid battery (traction battery) when leaving the vehicle undriven for a long period of time. After confirming that EV mode has switched to HV mode, turn the power switch off.
    ●Use the charging timer function as much as possible in order to fully charge the hybrid battery (traction battery) immediately before starting off. (P. 157)

Also, if the hybrid battery (traction battery) capacity reduces, the distance that can be driven in EV mode decreases. However, vehicle performance does not significantly become worse.

■ When the remaining charge of the hybrid battery (traction battery) is low after charging

In the following situations, the remaining charge of the hybrid battery (traction battery) after charging completes may be less than normal in order to protect the system (the EV driving range after the battery is fully charged may be shorter).*

●Charging is carried out when the outside temperature is low or high
    ●Charging is carried out immediately after high-load driving or in extreme heat

When none of the above situations apply and there is a drastic drop in the remaining charge of the hybrid battery (traction battery) after charging completes, have the vehicle inspected by your Toyota dealer.

*: When this occurs, even if the remaining charge display of the hybrid battery (traction battery) shows that it is fully charged, the remaining charge rapidly decreases faster than normal.

■When the charging amount sent to the hybrid battery (traction battery) decreases

When the amount of power supplied by the charging equipment is low or operation of the “Traction Battery Heater”, etc., reduces the charging power sent to the hybrid battery (traction battery), the charging amount sent to the hybrid battery (traction battery) may decrease."

13. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The very first time I charged it on Level 2, it took exactly 7.00 kWh.

In subsequent charges it took ~ 6.2 - 6.4 kWh from 0%.

14. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    L2 is more efficient and uses ~10% less kWh to fill. Most reported here use 5.7-6.1kWh for a full charge with L2. I only have OEM L1 EVSE. With L1, the full charge takes anywhere from 6.3-6.8 kWh. It really depends on how deep you go into the HV zone of battery before you plugin and use of heater/cooler/climate control.

15. m8547

m8547 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The hybrid assistant app shows the actual state of charge even in HV mode. It's usually between 10-14% in HV mode. If I'm careful, I can usually just get it to hit 10% by the time I get home. As the SOC drops, the amount of acceleration you can do while staying in EV mode becomes more and more limited. It's usually somewhere around 12kw, but as the SOC approaches 10% it drops to more like 7kw, which is sometimes barely enough to maintain speed on a neighborhood street. The scale on the hybrid system indicator changes, so even though the EV line is always in the same place, the actual amount of acceleration to get to that line varies.

So depending on your driving style and where you live, you're probably parking with more than 10% SOC remaining. That should account for some of the randomness.

Temperature is probably another big factor. I've noticed that the SOC on hybrid assistant sometimes changes notably if I park outside for a day and the temperature changes. For example I've seen it go from 14% to 17% overnight. And one time I took a short trip near my house in the morning and parked with 97% remaining (indicated by the car). When I took a trip later in the afternoon it was down to 92%.

Usually the state of charge indicated by the car doesn't change while parked. I'm pretty sure it fudges the numbers, but I don't have enough information to prove it. That is based on the fact that for identical drive segments the percentage points of charged used can be much different, particularly when the battery is close to empty and it's been a while since I charged.

16. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, when I did check SOC using Hybrid Assistant, 0% SOC on the dash can be anywhere from 11%-14% SOC on HA. Accordingly, the full charge after that varies from 6.3kWh to 6.8kWh.

As for the SOC reading on the dash, you are correct that it does not change during the park. The question OP is raising is, is it because there is no phantom draw on the traction battery, or is it simply because the car is not monitoring the SOC during the park. I think both are true. No phantom draw (or at least, undetectable in short overnight park period) and no monitoring of SOC. What I don't know is what happens to SOC of the traction battery after a longer period of inactivity, say a week without driving and charging.

17. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Watch what happens when you do a hard acceleration with a cold engine. It will dip down to 9%.

Also, I will continue recommend qualifiers on those "varies" values... since both of our 2017 Prime have always seen 6.0kWh as a maximum with level-2 charging. There is clearly some variable still not identified yet.

Salamander_King likes this.
  18. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yap, I took into the consideration of your reports and stated as follows. I think your case report is the low end of the variation.

19. m8547

m8547 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I got it down to 8% once. I ran out of EV charge just before merging onto the highway and climbing a big hill. The car can shorten the warm-up cycle if it needs to, but in this case it decided not to for some reason. Has anyone seen lower?
    Lowest Observed State of Charge | PriusChat

john1701a likes this.
  20. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm pretty sure I saw 8% once as well, but couldn't remember which generation Prius that memory was from.