1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'Praying to end abortion' return address stickers

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Pinto Girl, Nov 15, 2006.

1. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ Dec 2 2006, 01:23 AM) [snapback]356607[/snapback]</div>
    I always take solace in the fact that I do not know everything, and God is in control in terms of things like salvation and who "makes it". In the end, God is not controlled by my dogma.

There's an old hokey poem about the person dying and going to heaven, and then seeing someone there they recognized. Just as they were about to speak up and say "What are YOU doing here?" the person looks at them and says it to them.

Your attitude is commendable, and I wish you the best. You have reminded me to enjoy today, and that's not a bad thing at all. Thank you.

2. Schmika

Schmika New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Dec 2 2006, 05:41 AM) [snapback]356602[/snapback]</div>
    So, I know people who think airplane con trails are poison, I know people who think someone does medical experiments on them when they are sick, I know a religion (loosely said) that thinks a giant spaghetti monster is a god......what is your definition of "many"? I have NEVER heard of such a church....so there can't be a whole lot.

How about we talk about Christian churches that make up the vast majority of church going members.

I can find someone with an opinion about anything.....doesn't mean much!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ Dec 2 2006, 06:23 AM) [snapback]356607[/snapback]</div>
    Since I know you are a preacher, 1st, I am trying very hard to DO that in the sense it is meant. 2nd, I will say a prayer for you.

3. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Nov 21 2006, 12:22 PM) [snapback]352694[/snapback]</div>

You have clearly stated your position, all or nothing, black or white on this issue. So, aside from legislating a ban on all abortions, what is your answer to preventing abortions?

4. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Dec 2 2006, 12:41 AM) [snapback]356602[/snapback]</div>
    I think you would be hard pressed to find any denomination teaching such a thing, fundamentalist or not. I don't know of a single theologian that holds that view. It simply isn't taught in Christian seminaries, and is not, in any way, a majority view of any fundamentalist denomination.

Fundamentalists and most evangelicals use the concept of "inerrancy" to describe the Bible, and therefore it should be honored in terms of faith and practice. There are other words that are used to convey differing standards of "respect" for the Bible, including "inspired", "infallable", "authoritative", "plenary", etc. The usual concept is that the Bible is all that is needed for faith and practice, which is a far cry from saying it is the only guide necessary for modern life. (I don't hold this view, so don't expect me to defend it).

It is important to understand the genesis of the emphasis on the Bible in the growth of Protestantism, and the corresponding decline in the power of the Roman Catholic Church. Without a belief that the Bible alone is satisfactory for faith and practice ... Luther's "sola scriptura" ... Christianity would still be mired down with Priests and Bishops rationing out spiritual favors.

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Dec 2 2006, 04:46 PM) [snapback]356801[/snapback]</div>
    Not "a" god, but the one and only True God. And He's not a "giant" spaghetti monster, but The Flying Spaghetti Monster. And while you can demean Pastafarianism by calling it a "loose" religion, others might say the same of yours. Our religion is not loose, only our morals. We freely admit to having loose morals. But it's not our fault that Mosy dropped two I'd Really Rather You Didn't's on his way down from the mountain, leaving us with only eight. What's a fellow to do when his prophet only brings back eight I'd Really Rather You Didn't's? So, yes, our morals are loose, but our religion is the only True one, as has been scientifically demonstrated multiple times. The clear ties between spaghetti and life can only be overlooked by those who simply do not wish to see.

RAmen.

6. zapranoth

zapranoth New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    And to return to what this thread actually was originally supposed to be about, Pinto, I think your friend's gesture was in a way obnoxious, and I don't think taking offense is an overreaction.

It restores my faith (to use the word differently, now) in humanity to see this thread spiral down to earth, from the exchanging of broadsides it was to a decent sentiment we all apparently can agree upon. From "what do you make of this" to full page diatribes full of cut-n-pasted internet inaccuracies, back now to us remembering that we're each human beings talking to each other, albeit at a distance. I needed reminding of that, too.

Does it take someone afflicted with cancer to get us to agree to care about someone, and to talk on the same page? Apparently so.

TJ, I am so sorry to hear this news. If you are describing lung cancer, well, I'm glad to hear that you've come a year. I will include you, specifically, in my prayers.

7. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zapranoth @ Dec 3 2006, 06:05 AM) [snapback]356910[/snapback]</div>
    Oral cancer.(Never smoked). Right behind the nasal passage, where they got some out with lasers. Fantastic. But there is more...isn't there always? So I do what they tell me to do...and am tired often, cranky from the treatment sometimes, and then, to add more fun, I got diagnosed with diabetes, and I have some seriously bad arthritis.

And next week, I turn 42 on Friday. BUT! I move around, I can't just give up, ya know. Like I often say, I could be dead tomorrow if a truck hits me (heck, today even!), so there is no point to worrying about what I can't change.

Affect the planet on a local scale, and you can affect it globally. So if I can bring about peace, in some small way (which, would be a goal of mine, since I believe in Christ, and His Peace), then who knows...maybe the cancer would be worth it.

Thanks for your thoughts.

8. Schmika

Schmika New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Dec 3 2006, 01:05 AM) [snapback]356844[/snapback]</div>
    HAHAHAHAHA..really....I thought this was all a big JOKE to mock Christianity...its REAL!!!!!! Go On!!!!!!! This is the best laugh I have had. Man, I thought the Moonies were "out there".

OK

wait

I am still being mocked right? There is no REAL belief in a Flying spaghetti monster, is there?

Please, someone other than Daniel..........tell me what it is. (Don't say "look it up on the internet", that is hardly a definitive locationfor factual info on such a subject.)

9. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Dec 3 2006, 01:47 PM) [snapback]357100[/snapback]</div>
    Hey, Karl, I find it impossible that you could really believe in christianity, too. So on that point we're even. I think with both christianity and Pastafarianism you have people who really believe, and people who just pretend to believe.

Bottom line is, your religion promises clouds and harps in the afterlife, while mine promises a stripper factory and a beer volcano. Expand your horizon: read the book.

Buy the book on Amazon. (You can also buy it in bookstores.)

10. Schmika

Schmika New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Dec 3 2006, 07:45 PM) [snapback]357120[/snapback]</div>

I think I already know who the "pretending" believers are...........Oh, and I fixed your disrespect in capitalizing the wrong word.....

11. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Dec 5 2006, 01:56 AM) [snapback]357805[/snapback]</div>
    Who would those be?

And while I would always capitalize Christ, and in reference to His stature, capitalize 'H', not everyone would...and frankly, Christ would not care...

12. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Dec 4 2006, 08:56 PM) [snapback]357805[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, I know plenty of christians who do not really believe. They're the ones who pray in public but make no effort to live the message.

As for disrespect, my disrespect for your religion is only equalled by your disrespect for mine. Just because I do not actually believe my religion does not make it any the less valid.

And when you make changes in a quote, it is required to put the changes in square brackets. It is dishonest to represent something as a quote when you make changes to it. The mere fact that you disagree with my punctuation does not give you the right to misquote me, though you partially redeem yourself by drawing attention to your misquoting of me, and for that reason I forgive you.

13. jtullos

jtullos New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Dec 3 2006, 01:47 PM) [snapback]357100[/snapback]</div>
    While I'm personally not a Pastafarian, it is a real and valid religion. What is it? Well, I may get a few things wrong (as I said, it's not my religion), but the basic belief is that the Flying Spaghetti Monster (FSM) created everything. Evolution as we know it is simply the result we see of FSM's creation process. There is a website for this, the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster which will clarify it much better than I could ever do.

Anyway, as I see it, it's just as valid of a religion as Christianity or any of the other major religions out there, mine included (Atheism by the way).

I hope that helps a bit.

14. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jtullos @ Dec 5 2006, 07:29 AM) [snapback]357916[/snapback]</div>
    jtullos, I pray for your soul. I used to be an Atheist like you, but once you look into the scientific evidence supporting the existence of FSM, I'm sure you will agree He exists.

For example, does Atheism give you an explanation for gravity? It just tells you the impact, but gives no cause. I learned from the Gospel of the FSM that He pushes down on us with His noodly appendages. The proof of this is easy. As the human population expands, our height is growing. How can this be? It's because He spent more time touching our ancestors, pushing them towards Earth, but since there are so many more of us now, He spends less time on each of us, therefore we are taller.

More proof that He is real.

I hope you will see the truth, as I did, before it's too late.

RAmen

15. Black2006

Black2006 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Dec 5 2006, 08:34 AM) [snapback]357963[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, my (One and True) God (may It always be Al Dente!) I am am so excited, to see another who knows the truth of FSM!

I have been blessed with regular appearances by FSM (may It always be Al Dente!) over the last several years, usually after consuming well-prepared noodly offerings and a lot of good wine. I have learned many of the secrets of Its Universe (yeah, It told me about that gravity thing.)

Did you know, that the Ten Commandments were just a very early draft of a reprimand letter to the Devil (He Who Does Not Eat Carbs,) prepared by a very junior clerical apprentice deity named Yehova? Yehova apparently saw this guy Moses pass by, and mistook him for the page, sent by his direct superior, Buddha (another fairly junior deity in the FSM hierarchy,) and so he handed the draft tablets to Moses....

Did you know, that Jesus was a fictional character in a comedy by Larry David (an immortal Pastafarian, of later Seinfeld fame,) who wrote under the pseudonym of "Paul." It was to be performed for the entertainment of guests at a heavenly costume spaghetti ball, but was rejected, because Jim Caviezel, who was to play the lead, had not been born yet. (Mel Gibson, who is a secret Pastafarian, finally brought the play to a screen near you a couple of years ago.)

Did you know, that Mohammad, who had become Pastafarian after eating the secret noodle recipe of the celebrity chef Gabriel (who now has an Italian restaurant in Tribeca,) went on (driven by his passion for good pasta) to rob a Meccan caravan carrying dried noodles from China, but was repelled by the noodle guards, thus angering him and causing him to start a new religion, favoring rice pilaff?

I bet, you have all been ignorant of all these truths! There are many other stories which have been told to me by FSM (may It always be Al Dente!) and which I am putting into a book, to be named The Really Really True Bible, soon to be published by Regan Books.

In the meantime, please find a noodle to hold on and join me in prayer (and please sign my petition to compel all Italian and Chinese restaurants to contribute one tenth of their gross income to the Church of FSM (checks to be made out in my name.)

Thanks you for your time and be blessed by the noodle.

16. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

I must humbly acknowledge that I am not as learned as you, brother Black2006, for I am new to the Faith and have much to learn.

~Support the Pirates~

17. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    See, Karl. We are legion!

18. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Y'know, if those String Theory theorists had simply made the obvious intuitive leap from "string" to "angel pasta" and worked the FSM into their equations from the beginning, their field of research would not only be much further advanced than it is but probably a lot more lucrative, what with sales of "11th Dimension Tomato Sauce" and prize money from spaghetti sauce competitions.

As it is, their theories are running into trouble, even inspiring a book observing that string theory is "Not Even Wrong" - more evidence that one ignores the all powerful FSM only at one's professional peril!

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

19. Schmika

Schmika New Member

Sigh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Face it Karl, the tide has turned. Pretty soon the Church of the FSM will have ousted the Christians from the Republican Party, the president will have a peg leg and an eye patch, and grog will be the national drink.