1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'Praying to end abortion' return address stickers

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Pinto Girl, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Nov 15 2006, 10:26 PM) [snapback]349879[/snapback]</div>
    hahaha, it's been my experience, the happier people make their lives out to be, the inverse is actually quite true. Those who come off as "prim and proper" are usually the first ones to whip out the giant black dildo with a big spiked ball on the end, while her husband wears a diaper and does baby talk... Seriously, everytime a family almost goes out of their way to show you how good their life is, chances are, those closets have A LOT of skeletons and bizarre sex toys.

:ph34r:

2. dancekat59

dancekat59 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't mean to be disrespectful of anyone but I feel that most people here are just taking it too personally. There are always those people that feel compelled to express their opinions - on politics, on religion, on no-leash dog parks, etc.. They are so caught up in what they're into that they aren't necessarily cognizant on how it affects others. As Pinto Girl mentioned, it's really ALL about the sender and not the receiver. I don't feel it's worth throwing away a friendship over a disagreement on an issue. It seems clear that in this case, the person had good intentions and meant no harm. My suggestion is just to ignore it. If you can't ignore it and/or if the person continues to badger you about it, say something to that person... politely, e.g. "I understand that your beliefs is an important part of your life and brings you much joy but I just have other beliefs. In the future, I'd really like it if we just keep our beliefs to ourselves. I look forward to seeing/talking with you... etc, etc..."

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Nov 16 2006, 02:12 PM) [snapback]350269[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

whew... more than i care to imagine for just about anyone.

anyway squid has one hell of a point. in many, many cases, the stronger the "we're so happy" message comes across, the harder they're faking it.

i see it happen with money too...

4. VinceDee

VinceDee Member

Yeah, rich people suck and can't be happy!

Vince <<<<(has no money)

5. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Nov 16 2006, 04:11 PM) [snapback]350280[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, I think so too. Perhaps that's really what's so infuriating...I know that it's somewhat of an illusion; they no doubt (to some degree) know/are aware that it is too...so why continue to carry on the charade?

I mean, I've had good times and bad times (as we all have)...when I was struggling, I did my best to preserve my personal dignity, but certainly didn't try to convince other people that everything was peachy. Why spend energy on that when it's not true?

I think it's really cool when someone says, "I don't know" or "I'm having a bit of trouble right now" or something like that...that reveals weakness. I don't think I've *ever* heard that from her before. It's always about how good everything is.

If you want to know the truth, I think it makes me a bit angry...because by not saying those words, she doesn't give me the opportunity to be supportive. And, since I do care about her (even through all of this)...I wish she would!

I guess it tends to make me feel excluded, and perhaps I take that to be a comment on my life...when it may actually just be the way she is with everyone.

I guess that's how communications break down...by accident...?

6. Etel Rose

Etel Rose New Member

Briefly, I think it's really fine that she feels strongly about something and wants to proclaim her view...and it's fine for you to express back if you have a strong view or opinion (whatever that may be) - whether it's in the form of a discussion or "bumper sticker" proclamation. I prefer opinions and activism (even when I don't agree with it) to general apathy.

If someone's values really differed from mine, I might want to talk to them about it and agree to disagree, or, depending on the issue, it might be terminal. But it's more "real" than shying away from the things that matter to people.

If I had a relationship that I cared about that seemed kind of fake or unreal, I'd probably bring that up.

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I used to get upset when people said "Merry Christmas" to me. I'd reply gruffly, "Not my religion!" And if someone ended a conversation with "God bless you," I'd reply, "There is no god!"

But eventually I realized that they were just trying to be pleasant, and that the real meaning of their words was not the literal meaning of the words themselves, but was intended as a formulaic expression of friendship.

There's a real difference between trying to foist your religion on someone, and a formulaic greeting that may have its roots in a widely-accepted religion. Again, I see the return address sticker not as an atrempt to convert you or convince you, but as a sort of postal bumper sticker. If your friend really is trying to push her values on you, and if you value the friendship, you should say something like, "It makes me uncomfortable when you try to convert me." But I'd let the return address sticker slide.

As for Daron's tangential rantings above, I'd merely point out that "Pro Life" as it's used among conservatives, is the belief that life begins at the instant of conception, and ends at the moment of birth; thus it is morally imperative to protect the zygote and the foetus, but once the baby is born, there is no obligation to provide it with food or health care or shelter, and as soon as it gets old enough to steal a loaf of bread you can toss it into prison; at 12 if it turns criminal you can execute it; at 17 you can send it off to be killed in war, and regardless of its age if it lives outside the U.S. you can drop a bomb on it or burn it to death with napalm if the leader of its country looks cross-eyed at you. All this is permissible because the baby, the child, and the adult do not count, because, for a conservative, "life" only applies from conception to birth.

8. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Nov 16 2006, 08:28 PM) [snapback]350554[/snapback]</div>
    It is kind of odd, now that you mention it, how the pro-life movement does seem to abandon the baby once it's born...

And I guess 'Merry Christmas' is like 'how're you doin,'...one of those expressions that's not really intended to receive a reply...

I agree, too, that while I appreciate dialogue based on opposing viewpoints, perhaps the space available on a return address envelope does tend to inhibit careful and detailed consideration of the issues at hand. That's why I feel like it's better to just keep it to oneself. It's such a volitile and emotionally loaded issue...why add fuel to the fire with one liners like that?

9. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Nov 16 2006, 05:28 PM) [snapback]350554[/snapback]</div>
    You are dead on. Women who go to "emergency" or "crisis pregnancy centers" are encouraged, shamed and coerced into having children they do not desire. Once the decision is made not to terminate they are given baby items hand over fist, once the baby is breathing they are dropped like hot potatos by the same people who shamed, goaded, manipulated and coerced them.

10. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

http://www.allaboutpopularissues.org/parti...th-abortion.htm

It's probably illegal to do this to a puppy in the birth canal, but here it is as it is used to save the life of 5000 american women a year.

Specific steps in the most commonly used partial-birth abortion procedure, Dilation and Extraction, are:
    1. A medical professional induces a breech (feet first) delivery with forceps.
    2. Legs, arms and torso of the fetus are delivered (i.e. expelled from the mother).
    3. The back of the fetus' skull is punctured with a scissors-like instrument.
    4. A suction device is inserted into the skull.
    5. The device sunctions out the contents of the fetus' skull, causing the skull to collapse.
    6. The lifeless fetus is delivered.

I'm a little surprised that the head doesn't just come on out by the time they have the whole body out, all the way to the neck. Wouldn't it be safer for the mother at this point to fully deliver the baby before you put a sharp scissors instrament in there to puncture the back of the skull? That part ot he operation is the only threat to the health or life of the mother.

I wonder how they know where the brain is on a fetus? Legs, arms, torso? Wow, sounds like a baby to me... babies have legs, arms, and a torso.... ooh, and a skull too.. Does anyone else here think the arms, legs, and torso are wiggling during this... as would they for a baby? Should we put a stethoscope on the chest and check for a heartbeat before we get out the scissors? How much risk is there to the life of the mother if we just deliver the head at this point?

Carry on kids... if this is going on in America and you approve of it, then you're one sick puppy.

11. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I have address labels from my college, and my wife has them from the ASPCA. They came with solicitations for donations. Instead of just tossing them out, I'll use them. Your friend might be using just because it's convient, and isn't thinking on how it might appear.

It's instinctual. A sick or injured animal will try to hide the fact so predators won't pick up on it being an easier meal.

Pro-life is just marketing for the anti-abortion movement, which shares ties with anti-contraception and anti-sex ed groups. It isn't about the baby. It's about punishing the woman who doesn't precievably live by their morals.

12. daronspicher

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ShellyT @ Nov 17 2006, 09:52 AM) [snapback]350777[/snapback]</div>
    Post abortion,

1: The baby is where?

2: The woman is where?

Answers:

A1: Ripped limb from limb in a garbage can out back of the clinic, dead.
    A2: Starbucks for a latte.

Is it really about punishing the woman? I'm just looking at the post abortion scorecard here and I think the baby got a rough deal.

13. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Nov 16 2006, 01:32 PM) [snapback]350249[/snapback]</div>
    Or you could send her nothing at all. And continue to send her nothing at all. Chances are, she won't ask what prompted the shunning. If she asks, you could bring up the card and the return label.

Will your life be tragic without communication with her?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ShellyT @ Nov 17 2006, 10:52 AM) [snapback]350777[/snapback]</div>
    I use those free stickers. All the ones that come, regardless. However had I received these return address labels (the ones Pinto Girl got on her letter) I would have tossed them.

As for the rest, I think Daniel is spot on.

How ironic that the Pro-Choice crowd is also the Anti-War crowd and the Anti-Abortion Crowd (let's call a spade a spade; Pro-Life is marketing) is also the Pro-War crowd. One can't help but wonder it the purpose of bringing every fertilized egg to term is to have more fodder 18 years down the road. Oh, and keep them hungry and ill-educated so it's easier to get them to volunteer.

14. VinceDee

VinceDee Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Nov 17 2006, 07:04 AM) [snapback]350759[/snapback]</div>
    So?

Vince

15. daronspicher

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VinceDee @ Nov 17 2006, 11:41 AM) [snapback]350883[/snapback]</div>
    Seems like the wrong way to be doing things to me Vince, does it seem normal, natural, wholesome and uplifting to you?

16. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, how about this for another point of view...

Perhaps if women were more valued by our society for what they have to offer as people, and less as sexual objects/trained to present themselves as such, we might grow up realizing that we have lots more intrinsic value than we're led to believe...and so, would feel less of a compulsion to find worth in sacrificing our futures in the name of pursuing desire/objectification/intimate relations with men. Which, quite naturally, would seem to lead to all of these unplanned pregnancies.

What say you, good people of PriusChat (and Mr. Troll, too, if he's still out there).

Speaking of our under-bridge-dwelling friend, I feel like I was confusing Gnomes and Trolls yesterday in one of my posts, and wanted to take this time to apolgize personally to him.

17. VinceDee

VinceDee Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Nov 17 2006, 10:26 AM) [snapback]350909[/snapback]</div>
    I'm probably not the person to ask. I don't value humans as much as they value themselves. To me, humans are just another species of animal out of millions on just one of billions of planets. They aren't "special" or "made in God's image". They grow like bacteria, they think only of themselves (yet pretend that they're really thinking of others, which is more dishonest than what most animals do). They have a somewhat highly developed brain and sentience, but choose to rarely use those faculties. So you'll have to pardon me if I don't shed tears because some fetuses are killed off.

Vince

18. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Nov 17 2006, 12:18 PM) [snapback]350799[/snapback]</div>

I could probably digest your position a little better if you had a little regard for the woman and child that you would force into this union as well as all of the subsequent events that will take place, should she not wish to carry and deliver a child. In prior threads, I've posed questions to you about how a million unwanted children will effect society's fabric, how will these children that are lost in the "system" will effect our economy and our future as a nation (a million unwanted babies that grow to be uneducated, abused, neglected, homeless would probably not benefit our society). How do you propose that a woman (who has been responsible and has taken precautions against getting pregnant but gets pregnant anyway) is equipped to raise a child with only her income, should the father of the child not be fiscally responsible? What is to be done about all the women that are sexually responsible and that are sexually assaulted who become pregnant? Some of these women will be children. What should we do about all the unwanted babies that are abused and neglected? Who will monitor this activity and where will these children reside should this activity become known? We already have a system that doesn't work and that's housing too many of these children. Who will tend to the girls that seek out abortions in the black market that become infected or maimed?

There are plenty of uncomfortable scenarios that can be added to this list that render this issue grey, not black and white. Yet, you have never even acknowledged any of these issues but you continue to hold strong to your position on abortion. How is one to consider your position seriously, or even thoughtful, when you simply speak from a religious standpoint without any consideration for the reality that will ensue should abortion become illegal?

I've stated earlier the hipocrisy that I've seen in other threads. You willingly support the death of adults. You've commented that you have no regard for "innocents" in war if their nation is harboring terrorists. This is only one example.

I agree with you that the abortion practice is barbaric. We are killing and cutting apart viable life. These babies ought to have a fighting chance at life. For all practical purposes, I consider it murder. I would have no problem with our government outlawing abortion IF they can see their way towards a successful transition to the banning of abortions and IF they ensure that they have a viable working plan to manage all the consequences that will certainly occur. Since it doesn't appear that our government is able to operate with such foresight, my position currently remains pro choice.

19. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VinceDee @ Nov 17 2006, 01:49 PM) [snapback]350937[/snapback]</div>
    Woah, I really admire you for putting it this way. I tend to couch it more in my individual feelings about the place I, as a sentient being, occupy on Earth...but, the reality of it is, you're right about the human condition.

Worse, we're order-seeking creatures placed in a world where entropy is a primary force...

And yet, through all of this, there is something fantastically unique about our self-awareness. Personally, I think (if humans are still around way into the future), we'll discover that while there is lots of life throughout the universe, life as we are, with a concept of the past and future and of ourselves, may be lots more rare than we suspect.

And for a reason:

Sometimes I wonder if our sort of self awareness is actually a curse...and if relying on instinct and living in a constantly changing present (with no thought of one's mortality) might not ultimately be a more fulfilling, and more sustainable, way to exist.

20. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    wow. that didn't take long, did it?

:rolleyes:

for what it's worth, i don't believe partial birth abortion is necessary except in the most extreme of cases which will be exceptionally rare anyway.

i agree it's terrible and should not be done unless necessity dictates.

but you used that for shock value... typical of the radical anti-abortion crowd... never mind abortions induced by drugs at the first sign of pregnancy to avoid putting another unwanted person on this earth.