1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pre-Charge New Optima 12v ?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by eful, Jan 8, 2018.

1. eful

eful New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi folks, looking for a little clarification, as I'm not too well-versed with batteries.

2010 Prius 89,000 miles.

Questions:

I have a new Optima Yellow Top 12v battery installed, and it is already reading 11.4v in diagnostic mode with the car not started. Is this something expected of a new battery that should be fixed with a few hours of driving, or does this point to a dud? FWIW, the car starts now.

On that same token, the car was NOT starting with my old battery without a jump this morning. It too was reading 11.4v in diagnostic mode after about 6 hours of sitting parked. Do these symptoms sound like I had a bad OEM battery, or is it more likely that it's been cold and we took a 10 day vacation? (Although the car has been driven since we've been back from that vacation).

Backstory:

2015:

Original battery as far as I know. Needed a jump once in 2015. At that time, the car was taken to the dealer for a battery check and they said everything was fine. No issues after that until...

December 2017:

Car was not driven for 10 days and also hit about 3 weeks of unusual cold (sub 20F). Took a few tries to get started when we got back. Over the next two weeks, still occasionally took a couple of tries to get started.

This morning:

Car would not start. Got a jump and took to have battery tested; was told battery is fine. While running, battery read 14v; in accessory it was at 12.2v, however I had just driven it about 20 minutes to the shop. Shop did not have a replacement battery in stock at the time.

Called dealer; they wanted $400 installed for new OEM battery. A different shop had Optima yellow top ready out the door for $190, so that's what I got.

Had to go to work, so car sat the rest of the day with the OEM battery still installed. After 6 hours, the battery was reading 11.4v in diagnostic mode, but the car was still able to start and get me home to swap out with the yellow top.

Got home, installed the Optima. Car started up fine, but in diagnostic mode was reading 11.4v already while not running.

TL;DR version

Is it a safe assumption that my OEM battery was bad? Or is it more likely the cold and lack of driving drained it and it just needs a charge? It went from 12.2v at the store to 11.4v in the parking lot in about 6 hours. Same question for the Optima.

I don't have an aversion to getting a new OEM battery other than the price and availability. And if I can just return the Optima, reinstall the old battery and continue on livin' that's even better.

Thanks for reading.

2. eful

eful New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    After reading a few more threads, I got my multimeter out.

My old OEM, after sitting on the garage floor for about 6 hours, reads 12.39v on the voltmeter.

The installed Optima, sitting idle for about 4 hours, reads 12.32v on the voltmeter (through the terminals under the hood).

Is the car's self diagnostic really that far off, or is the draw in accessory mode (one push of the start button) really that much to dip the voltage that far?

I'm even more confused now, and wondering if I just jumped the gun when it wouldn't start this morning. Would love to have a reason to take the Optima back and recoup my $190 :)

I guess a basic voltage test isn't enough to determine the battery's health, but I don't have any other tools, and am not totally convinced the dealers/shops are testing them very thoroughly when I take it in...

3. Deft Jef

Deft Jef Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just replaced the 12v battery in my 2005 after I was getting the weird symptoms that typify the battery was going bad. In diagnostic mode it was reading about 11.4 - 11.6v. I replaced it with Bosch battery on sale for $145 from Pepboys and the new battery reads about 12.8v in diagnostic mode. So far the weird symptoms haven't returned since installing new battery.

4. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I see your confusion. I would put both batteries on a charger and take them to your local parts store where they can check the CCA (cold cranking amps) The key is having them fully charged and afterwards with the car running with your volt meter the car should be charging at around 14 volts.
    Voltage alone is not a good indication of a battery's capacity.

Think about it this way, you could put a bunch of AAA batteries in series and they could read 12 volts but they don't have the capacity to start your car. As car batteries age they loose capacity. There are other things like dead cells but I hope this helps.

5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Before leaving with a new battery, always have them test the battery voltage read out in front of you. 12.6v or greater is best, anything lower have them get another battery and then leave/install.

Measuring battery voltage when engine is on will not get the true voltage of the battery, your measuring hebcehicles voltage system.

padroo likes this.
  6. eful

eful New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks, your replies make sense.

I assumed the store pre-charged batteries before sale, but really didn't have a reason to make that assumption. Also, just of note again, both batteries DO read 12.5+ volts when disconnected and measured with a voltmeter, so I'm sure the store would have told me it was good anyway.

I think I've at least partly concluded that the car's diagnostic is not super accurate with the battery voltage.

Both batteries are reading 14v with engine running, as discussed. Optima was reading 11.2-11.4 this morning before starting.

Optima got up to 12.2v this morning after a 15 minute drive.

I guess I'll give it a week on the Optima and see what it settles at before returning it... hate making extra trips to the store.

I'm the meantime I'll search the boards for a charger recommendation/setup and see if I can rehab the old battery. Any suggestions up front on chargers?

Thanks again

7. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  8. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This guy has a whole series on batteries, I have learned a lot from him.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    A -proper- test of a automotive 12V lead-acid battery is a "load test". You can do this by simply turning on the headlamps while measuring the battery voltage. This will put about a 10 Amp load on the battery with halogens, and 5 amp with LED headlamps, with HID being somewhere between those two. If you switch to high beams the halogens will draw about 14 A. The other two types may or may not change load, depending on design (some just move the light beam).

Do note this "load test" is NOT a "starting load test" that cars other than the Prius need. BTW, CCA has no meaning for a Prius. The Prius doesn't crank the engine with the 12V battery. You should never allow someone to perform a "starting load test" on a Prius battery. They aren't designed to handle that high a current. And you should never "boost" another car from a Prius battery unless that other car is a Prius.

The voltage you see on the 12V "buss" (perhaps at the boost point) should be in the 12.5V area with the car off. With the car on (ready light on) you should see in the 14.0V area. For best results measure after the car has been sitting overnight for the first measurement (car off). The second measurement can be done anytime.

A further note is there will be some voltage drop from the battery to the fuse box in the engine compartment, probably in the area of 0.5V. For GII and GIII of course. G4 voltage drop should be much less due to the battery being in the engine compartment. Those with a "Scangauge" will see a bit more of a voltage drop in my experience, as the power must flow through yet more wiring to get to the OBDII port.

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Google Solar BA5.

padroo likes this.
  11. eful

eful New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks David, that makes sense for the most part. I don't have an actual load tester, so I just measured the voltages. Here's what I got:

Car sitting for several hours, readings taken manually with a voltmeter under the hood.

1 Push of start button (brake not depressed): 12.8v
    Headlights on: 12.46v
    High beams: 12.25v
    2nd Push of start button (brake not depressed): 12.3v (lights not tested)
    3rd Push of start button (engine on): 14v

I then took a look at what the in-car diagnostic mode was reading.

1 Push of start button (brake not depressed): 11.9v
    2nd Push of start button (brake not depressed): 11.4v
    3rd Push of start button (engine on): 14v

I absolutely don't trust the in-car diagnostic now! So this battery seems like it's performing ok. I'll wait until this weekend and swap it out with my old OEM battery and see if I get similar results. If that's the case, I think it makes sense to attribute my inability to start up the other day toward an aged (but not dead) battery under unusually cold conditions, and will probably take the Optima back until I get a real failure.

Sucks I can't rely on the in-car diagnostic...

Thanks for the other tips everyone. I'll go ahead and get the charger anyway, since it's probably a good thing to have.

12. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four

I disagree, a load test is a test of a batteries health. If a battery can't do what it is designed to do then it is weak or bad.

I don't know what the starting load is on a Prius and it is a lot smaller than a car with a traditional starter. A healthy battery will start a car at sub zero temperatures because it has the capacity to do so.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah: the 12 volt doesn't crank the Prius engine, but CCA (or CA, or a few others) still are good indicators of the battery's health, and what the electronic load testers test.

14. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I realize a Prius has a smaller battery because it doesn't have a high amp starter like conventional cars. You could almost get by with a large lawn tractor battery.

15. David Beale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I reiterate. The CCA reading has NO meaning for a Prius. The 12V battery cranks NO engine! There are two 50 Amp 1/2 second pulses drawn from the 12V battery when you put it in "ready".
    Further, the battery in the Prius IS NOT designed to "crank" an engine! DO NOT do so!

And get yourself into the 21st century! ;)

16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    So if a battery in a Prius tests as having very low CCA, well below it's spec., it's still fine?

17. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Not really true.

A single very low reading under light or no load likely means it is bad.
    If that is immediately after extended charging, that definitely means it is bad.

A single high reading with no load tells you virtually nothing.
    But if it stays high when you apply a load, that indicates that it probably is good.

It sounds to me like his new battery never was fully charged; with no load it should read 12.7 or more and should drop only a couple of tenths in accessory mode or with headlights on.
    12.3x might be OK......if it bounces back to 12.6 or greater when the load is removed.

#17 Sam Spade, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  18. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I think he was trying to say exactly the opposite.

While it is true that a SINGLE CCA test on the battery immediately after charging might not mean much (ANY single test at that point), repeating the test several times over several hours certainly WILL tell you something about the battery's general health.

If it fails a properly done CCA test, then it most likely is bad.
    If it passes a single CCA test, that means virtually nothing.......regardless of what application it is used in.

19. David Beale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    What I'm saying is the CCA test is meaningless for a Prius. It doesn't DO CCA -EVER-. The battery is not designed to do it. Read the owners manual. DON'T boost another vehicle with a Prius battery! is what it says basically.
    And as I posted don't ever let anyone do a CCA test on your Prius battery! It IS NOT a "starting battery" in the automotive sense. It is a "float battery", designed to deliver a max. current of around 50 Amps, NOT over 100 Amps to crank an engine.
    It should actually fail a proper CCA test anyway. Some aftermarket batteries of the same size as the Prius one can start an engine. But that is just gravy in a Prius. You don't need it.
    All the Prius 12V battery has to do is supply power to boot up the computers. I suspect the two 50 Amp half second pulses I see when going to "ready" is capacitor charging. In that case the battery doesn't even have to deliver that 50 Amp pulse. It can charge the capacitors more slowly to the same effect.
    It is also needed to supply power to the lights, steering, and brakes in case the car is disabled. But that again is much less than a "starter battery" has to deliver.

20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    David, I've used a Solar BA5 electronic load tester on various 12 volt batteries. It's "non-intrusive" testing, and gets to the bottom of the battery's health. I appreciate the 12 volt isn't cranking the Prius, but it's still a worthwhile value for testing.