1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pre Collision System Activated

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by RebelAthena, Aug 24, 2014.

1. RebelAthena

RebelAthena New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    For the first time in 3,000 miles, the PCS kicked in. I'm concerned, however, with what alerted the PCS.

I was driving on a 5-lane road (two each direction, with a turn lane) and was the _only_ car around; as I approached a metal plate in the road -- a temporary cover for bad pot hole, not uncommon here in Atlanta -- I hear a loud beeping, my car starts to break, and my seatbelt tightens (I also heard my nephew remark "whoa!" in the back seat).

Had there been someone traveling behind me, I'm concerned I would have been rear ended for such a sudden deceleration for no apparent reason.

First, has anyone else encountered the PCS kicking on for something flush with the road? There was _nothing_ else around, and the metal plate is the _only_ thing that I can fathom triggered the PCS.

Second, should I raise this issue with Toyota? Although this is the first time this has happened, I can not have the car attempting break whenever I encounter a metal plate in the road.

I welcome your thoughts.

-Reb

2. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    If there was a slight rise in the road where the plate was, its not unexpected. Some people complain that the PCS doesn't do enough. ;)
    Anyhow if you check the manual you'll see that there's a way to turn it off, but there's no such thing as a 100% perfect system.

3. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The owners manual has a section about things that might inadvertently set off the PCS. It's a known issue, though there haven't been many reports here of false activations. My personal experience is that the brakes don't come on that hard. Toyota made a deliberate decision not to bring the car to a hard stop, unlike similar systems used by some other car companies. It tightens the belts, primes the brakes, makes noises, and starts applying the brakes if you get close to a perceived obstruction. Personally, I think the safety benefits far outweigh any possible concern about rare false activations. I've seen reports of studies in Europe showing these systems definitely save lives. I also have my own personal experiences that made me a true believer. I won't ever buy another car without a similar system.

See this thread: PCS Saved My Stupid Butt | PriusChat

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would try driving over that plate again and see if it repeats.

5. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The automatic braking on our 2012 Prius v Five/ATP has not activated inappropriately in the few hundred miles I've driven it over the past two years and my wife has never mentioned it happening but it has happened on the 2014 Sienna with ATP we purchased in April. The Sienna is my daily driver and the Prius v is my wife's.

A couple of months ago, the Sienna braked itself when I was approaching a steel plate on a city street while driving at the 40 mph speed limit and using the radar cruise control. I was on a level portion of the road when it happened and the steel plate was at a point where the street started up-hill. The steel plate was in place for several weeks and I drove over it numerous other times during my daily commute without the problem reoccurring. I have driven over many other steel plates without this problem occurring.

When I told a Toyota dealer service writer about the steel plate incident, he gave me a list from tis.toyota.com describing when this problem can occur. There are 12 situations described on the list including steel plates, narrow metal bridges, road signs and road debris.

I regard this issue as minor, like knowing we have PCS, even if it might help only a little, and I absolutely love radar cruise control.

#5 Offline, Aug 25, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  6. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The radar signature of a metal plate would vary with how close to perpendicular the approach was to the span-wise and thickness-wise edge. Approach the plate edge from different aspects/angles and the PCS results would likely differ from "lock" to nothing at all. Would be interesting to know what was the threshold approach angle to trigger PCS.

7. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    In my experience, auto braking while using the radar cruise is different than pure PCS braking, and seems to have a different threshold for activating. Many of the same type things might cause it, but the radar speed control is far more sensitive than PCS.

8. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    It is hard to tell where one leaves off and the other begins. If a car cuts in front of me while using radar cruise control, the system seems to "think" for a few seconds before it starts braking enough to increase the following distance to the set interval.

In the case of the steel plate on the roadway ( when I was using the radar cruise control), the brakes were automatically applied with significant force - not "panic stop" force but pretty close.

I didn't mention it but inappropriate and forceful automatic braking in my Sienna has occurred other times that had nothing to do with a steel plate. It those occurrences it happened right after I had slammed on the brakes. Only yesterday on the way to the car wash a driver in front of me slammed on his brakes and came to a complete stop on another 40 mph street while I was using the cruise control. There was no stop light or sign - maybe he was lost. I nailed my brake petal and came to a very abrupt stop and waited until the other driver decided that, yes, maybe he really should turn right. (Duh!) I accelerated back to 40 mph and set the cruise control again. My brakes were automatically and forcefully applied. Since no one was behind me, I set the cruise control over and over to 43 mph (a true 40 mph) to see what would happen. Each time the automatic braking forcefully brought the speed down to around 15 mph where the automatic braking stopped. After I turned PCS off and back on with the switch, the radar cruise control then functioned properly. This scenario is one of the 12 on the list the Toyota dealer gave me. If I am counting correctly there have been five of these "malfunctions" in the four months I have been driving the Sienna.

These "features" of PCS/radar cruise control are not isolated to the Prius and Sienna. Go over to ClubLexus and you will find an increasing number of threads about similar issues now that Toyota is making PCS and radar cruise control available on numerous Lexus models.

9. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    ^^^
    I'd expect that the distance to the "obstruction" and the vehicle speed determine the response. The CC reacts to things much further away, where the PCS reacts to things that you're about to crash into. There's no reason why they can't work in concert with each other, but they are separate systems with different parameters for reacting to what's ahead. The PSC screams at you, the CC does not.