1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pre-collision system activation

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by swerthei, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    When i tested the belts, i was cruising at around 50 mph or so and just release the gas quickly and slam on the brakes...the belts activated. I don't think that you NEED to go so far down the gas pedal.

2. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I just tried the pre-collision seatbelt retraction and you guys are right. I accelerated quickly to about 52 MPH and braked abruptly and the seat belts retracted in what felt like two separate tugs followed by a firm hold. They stayed retracted until about a second after releasing the brake. I continue to learn new things on Priuschat about my Gen 3 V with ADP. Thank you everyone.

3. Chris2128

Chris2128 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    mad-dog-one, you and I are on the same boat ! Lol :d

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Haha, you're welcome! Sometimes, it's hard to explain in a forum because you think the other person's on the same page or sometimes it's just plain easier to show it in real life (but of course that's nearly impossible) so I'm glad that you were able to activate PCS seatbelts.

I think the key, other than the higher-than-city-traffic speed, is the fact that you have to release the pedal quickly as if you were going to do an emergency stop to allow the computer to determine that you're in an emergency situation.

I'm glad that I do have PCS. I would rather be tight in my seat, than have to lean forward before the pretensioners kick in (and be those few critical inches closer to the airbag should the worst happen). Plus, it also means you're in your proper driving position should you need to take evasive action instead of leaning forward.

5. Jpparker19

Jpparker19 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    While in cruise control on my 2017 Prime, PCS activated when a car in the right lane braked to make a right turn to exit the highway. PCS braking was pretty aggressive. Luckily there was no one behind me. This has happened a few times. I have been attempting to correlate to the pitch and curvature of the road. But I cannot find any consistencies. Another possible anomaly, I saw a YouTube where the collision alert went off when the vehicle was put in drive facing the wall of a garage. I almost drove into the car parked in front of me. No alarm went off.