1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pre-Collision System malfunction...sort of

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by ascii27, Jun 19, 2022.

1. ascii27

ascii27 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    XLE
    Hi all. I'm a big time NOOB so I hope someone out there can help.

I bought a used Prius Prime from CARMAX and they replaced the front windshield because the previous owner had somehow scratched the crap out of the INSIDE of it. I looked like someone took sandpaper to it.

Anyway, CARMAX got SafeLite to replace it. They re-calibrated whatever needs calibrating and I drove home.
    No problems. No errors. Used cruise control. Used that irritating lane departure thing. No problems.

I opened up the Toyota app on my phone when I got home and it shows an alert.
    "Pre-Collision System
    A malfunction in the Pre-Collision System has been detected. Do not rely on this system. Contract your Toyota dealer to have your vehicle inspected."

I called Toyota (super nice BTW, the 800 number, not a dealer) and the operator logged into my Toyota App account and saw the same thing. He said I should take it to dealer. I called dealer and said, "Sure, Bring it over. It'll cost $630 to recalibrate the windshield."
    I now have an appointment back with CARMAX and they will call SafeLite to have them do it again.
    However, I suspect they won't be able to do anything different and it will show that the car looks fine.
    If I didn't have the Toyota app I wouldn't see anything wrong either.

So...anybody seen this before? Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Document as you go along and talk to the carmax guy about exactly what the problem is.

3. alinica2001

alinica2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Maybe information on Toyota app was not updated. I would use the car for another 2-3 days to see if the error reported in Toyota app will disappear.... If pre-collision is not operational or has an error, you should see a message on your car too... If that is not happening this is probably an "old" information reported on Toyota App.

4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just to clarify. So, it is a Prius Prime? What model year? Your profile says you have 2012 2012 Prius Plug-in XLE, but that must be wrong. The year and trim level is important, pre-2019 PP had telematics only in the Advanced trim. For PP newer than the 2020 model, the telematics for the Safety Connect became standard, but AFAIK, PP has no Service Connect capability.

You can see what the Toyota Connected Services are from this page, but for a PP, only the Safety Connect and Remote Climate are the listed functions.
    Connected Services by Toyota | Toyota.com

Do you see a malfunctioning warning light for the Pre-Collision System on your car dash MID (multi-information display) right side of the speed display? If you don't see a warning light on the MID, then it may be the Toyota APP is not correctly registered and configured for your car. In any case, I agree with you that bringing the car back to CARMAX and Safelite may be a waste of time. I really doubt they know enough about Toyota or PP's system to address the problem, that is if the problem really exists. Then again, when it comes to the Toyota App problem, even the Toyota dealer or the Toyota headquarter service reps can help you much. We have many reports here with dysfunctional Toyota App and inept local and national Toyota services fixing the problem.