1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pre-order Deadline Extended

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Gadgetdad, Jan 31, 2009.

1. fredthepostman

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I thought we were not going to talk about fog lights anymore? lol !

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's much harder to get there from "Aussie", but maybe that was intentional.

Tom

3. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, when coining the ENGLISH language the ENGLISH knew there would be a place called Australia and a yank trying to get the word arse out of the colloquial Aussie so they didn't spell it nice person for that very reason. Hmmm.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    on the next to last day...is anyone having regrets??

well i am. got the gold pkg mostly because of the coolness of the sunroof. but it comes with leather which i dont like. NAV which i dont need. so wondering now if i am gonna miss out on a great price because the discount will not overcome the cost of the extra stuff i dont want.

couple that with NOT living in the south so the sunroof will probably not be open all that much... but i guess we will see.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't see the point of getting the solar moonroof unless you have very hot summers and frequently park outside during the day. How long will it be before the moonroof rubber seals start to leak, considering the heavy winter rain that your area has...

Also, that option will probably produce more wind noise at freeway speeds.

If you don't want leather or nav, why not order the Silver package instead??

6. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    :cool: As OP, I thought I should confess that I haven't yet ordered but will today. I going for the Gold with some regrets too: 1. No plug-in lithium battery pack (I hope it may be a possible retrofit down the road). 2. Can't get the radar wiz-bangs and the Led headlights on the package with the sunroof...17 inch wheels mean little to me. 3. The Gold package comes with leather and Nav which I don't particularly want, but the "back-up" camera is a must.

So, with 88% enthusiasm and fear and loathing of the current economy, I will order and await the price reveal to finalize my plunge.
    For me, the sweet spot of high resale for a mod-up Touring, and supposed "great price" on the '10 help me rationalize the purchase.

I will March to the tune of "The British 8th", like lemmings sea-ward and maybe "Leave My Heart" along with other G2 owners smitten by P-3;)

Lee

7. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well the plug in issues bother me as well. i am truly hoping that in the next 3 months, that landscape will be clearer as well because that also plays in my decision too.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We had a moonroof on our Camry on the west coast and it never leaked.

9. fredthepostman

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Most of my cars were either convertibles or cars with a moon roof. What I love about the moon roof is all the light that is let in also it makes the car seem bigger. You won't be sorry.

10. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No regrets...yet at least. The Silver package is everything I need and probably a bit more. The only question is what that "great" price will be. We will see how I like the arrangement in a couple of months when that email comes.

11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes - well, the traditional sunroof/moonroof design (the type that retracts into the roof) is well-engineered after more than two decades of experience. Usually the roof has a couple of drain hoses to safely vent any water that gets past the rubber gasket that lines the opening.

The 2010 moonroof is a very large piece of glass that lifts up above the car when open. The roof opening is quite large. It seems that there will be plenty of opportunity to leak air and/or water when closed. We'll see what reports come back from Gold owners in winter 2009.

12. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I too am eager to see what the special pricing will be. My friend was on the pre order for the 2004 when it came out and he said all he got discounted was $400. But then just a few months after release the base price shot up so his savings was 'technically' more.

Also, I was told at the NYC event that there is some charge we will save on (those on the prius priority pre order) which is usually a dealer added charge. Forgot the name and dont know how much it is though...

13. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I intended to respond only to one part of your post, but I couldn't bring myself to delete any of it in my reply (I like the post!)

Still . . . I thought I would add that we asked the Chief Engineer (I did or someone in our group did) whether there would be any retrofitting possible should the Li battery and plug-in arrive anytime soon. I believe the Chief was rather emphatic in his response: No.

I will continue to wish it to be true that we would be able to retrofit, but it appears our hopes are not well-founded.

14. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I agree totally with all your points Pat, as long as total freedom of choice exist, without any financial loss. I had gotten a perhaps misplaced inference, that since there was no test drive, one was obligated to purchase then and there, or else. Seemed like some undue and unecessary pressure. Glad to see that a small amount of ambivalence has been added to later posters tho. I will definitely save a tulip for you.:)

15. pascoval

pascoval Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hi!
    I'm a "newbie" is there anyway to get on the priority order list? I've owned 2 and convinced another 3 people to purchase a Prius. I talk up the Prius every chance I get -- I just LOVE it!

16. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

This has been asked many times and the answers always are:

1. The invites already went out to those TMS chose based on their criteria

and

2. You could always try contacting Toyota marketing and see what they say

Best shot now IMO is if your serious just go to your local dealer and see if you can get #1 on their list...

17. fredthepostman

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My only regret is not finding this site sooner. I had my chance a few years ago to buy a Prius and blew it. From what I learned on this site I now hope to be a Toyota owner for years to come. I think I can wait a few extra weeks for my special Prius.

18. Lottamoxie

Lottamoxie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I plan to purchase a 2010 Prius (either III or IV). I want to take delivery sometime in mid-2010. Do I need to get on a waiting list right now (and put down a deposit) in order to make sure I am actually able to purchase a 2010 when the time comes? I don't need delivery in 2009...and while it would be 'nice' to be on some special list of very special Prius owners who are first in line, that's not my reality nor my need (though it sure would be nice to get a 'discount').

Anyway, what is the best time for me to get that deposit in?

19. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's all a guess as to supply and demand. Not very long ago there was a six month wait to buy a new Prius. Increased production and economic collapse have reversed that situation in most areas, but all you can do is guess for 2010. It seems unlikely that the economy will improve enough in the short term to cause waiting, so if you are willing to gamble a bit you can see what sort of deal you can get from a dealer with units in stock. If you want to be sure, put down a deposit now. I know some people that have had deposits down for months.

Tom

20. Lottamoxie

Lottamoxie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks.

I definitely don't want to be at the mercy of stock on hand at the time I want to purchase in 2010, so I think I'll just play it safe and put down a deposit next month and hopefully that will cover me for taking delivery in April or May of 2010. That's over a year so it should at least ensure I actually get one of these 2010s next year, right?

I'm currently driving a 1998 Saab 900 SE (with only 89K miles) so it's not like I'm in desperate need of a new car, but I've had my eye on Prius and getting 44+ mpg in the city sure would be nice (not to mention the other goodies). I tend to keep cars 10+ years so I'm going to go for the one with all the options I think I want (I know I don't want the Nav system though because I have my own Garmin w/bluetooth).