1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pre Purchase 2007 Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by GreenTerrorPrius, Sep 27, 2020.

1. GreenTerrorPrius

GreenTerrorPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi All, getting ready to buy 2nd Prius for college son.
    It has 106k miles. A new Toyota 12 V battery and a new traction battery w 1 year warranty.
    Asking 4k. i think a pretty good deal...now the questions
    1. General paint question, they painted it and all looks good but I have no idea on how long a paint job will last. I am assuming they got a cheap one, what am I looking at in the Florida hot sun until fades, etc...2 years?
    2. The lower dash compartment has a crack. I can get on ebay but not sure of color. The seats are a light tan and the glove compartment could be gray or Brown, not sure. Is there a standard color option on these. I know it is not black.
    3. Also it appears the dash could have been damaged a bit when taking out the MFD, the owner just replaced it. IT looks like a good job and all work, but should i worry i could have electronic issues down the road as he may not know what he is doing.
    4. Also can you get the trip mileage history. All i could see was his recent trip (32 mpg...which scares me a bit) but could not find the history. I would like to see that
    5. It was leaking in back at the hatch, and he said that his mechanic (trusted hybrid guy) said the leak caused the traction to go bad. Since that was replaced any other thing to worry about this leak

thanks all

2. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The phrase “new traction battery” gives me pause. Unless the “new” traction battery was purchased directly from Toyota, there’s a good chance it’s actually a remanufactured battery full of used battery cells that’s likely to fail in a couple years. And 32mpg is very low for what a Prius should be getting. I’d reset the MPG display and do a test drive on the highway for 15-20 minutes. If the display shows anything less than 40mpg, there’s a problem. You can’t access a historical MPG rating through the car, but if you do a test drive as I suggested, you will be able to get an idea for the current efficiency.

If you have concerns about the owner’s mechanical ability after he replaced the multifunction display, then it’s probably a good idea to walk away. That can cost over $2000 to fix or replace if he installed it wrong and you need a new one.

The leak issue is also concerning to me. If his mechanic replaced the battery but didn’t fix the leak, it seems likely to have the same problem again. And if the leak was serious enough that it ruined the hybrid battery, what else did it do? You don’t know, and I wouldn’t want to find out.

Based on those issues, I would pass on this car. Replacing the hybrid battery and the MFD properly will cost more than the asking price of the car, and it sounds like there are some significant concerns.

SFO likes this.
  3. GreenTerrorPrius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Great info and thank you. To clarify, yes it is a rebuilt battery with a 1 year warranty. I know the shop he went to and the guy is legit, he thinks i should get at least 2 years out of it but at that point may need a new one.
    The MPG read out info is very helpful. I may take for another test ride.

Also the display is working great, i just didn't know if some other weird electronics could be effected that i wouldn't see in a 10 min test drive.
    The leak has been fixed and it was actually raining when looked at car. Also the back area was bone dry.

Yeah i am up on the air on this one.

4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Would think you could find a better deal in Florida, you might want to keep shopping around some more.

At a minimum, check the mileage and dealer maintenance history by running the VIN at : Welcome to Toyota Owners

Here is another free option : Run a Free VIN Check Instantly - No Credit Card Needed

Or spend and get a carfax if you're still unsure of the history, accidents, mileage, etc.

It isn't that difficult to roll back the mileage, so pay close attention to the reported mileage and service dates in relation to the existing mileage.

Who is the person/shop that did the HV battery, was it Todd ( @TampaPrius.com ) at : Home - Tampa Hybrids Inc. ??

5. GreenTerrorPrius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It was a City of Ft Lauderdale Car and the current owner got at Auction. Went to Toyota site and all checks out on mileage. The last service with the Dealer (that the City used) was a tire sensor in 2016 and car had 80k on it. I assume the City did their own oil changes in their Fleet Dept. Vincheck is good.
    The mechanic is Hybrid Exclusive in Palm Beach County, Alex, good mechanic
    Great info and thx again

SFO likes this.
  6. GreenTerrorPrius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Dealer history:
    The combination meter was changed in 2015
    They did the HV electric water pump in 2013
    90L PEDAL MOD FOR TUNDRA AND SSC...they did this but have no idea what it means???

7. GreenTerrorPrius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    after research the Pedal Mod was a safety recall