1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pre Purchase Inspection Compression Test Needed?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by prius-life, Sep 15, 2020.

1. prius-life

prius-life New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm looking at buying a 2008 Prius with 142,000 miles and want to go to the dealer for a full pre purchase inspection. The advisor said it'll be $149 for the inspection, or $290 for the inspection plus a compression test. Is the compression test worthwhile?

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Would say a compression test isn't needed at that mileage, assuming the mileage is correct.

Have you already ran a carfax, if not then check the mileage/maintenance history by running the VIN at https://www.toyota.com/owners

Once you're sure there are no shenanigans related to mileage or maintenance, you can move on to an inspection if desired..

3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    That depends on how sorry you will be if you get stuck with a pile of junk.

$150 is not a bad price....IF it included a "leak down" test, which should always be a part of testing the compression.

Certainly not necessary if it seems to start and run smoothly, with no smoke or other negative indications.

Aegean likes this.
  4. prius-life

prius-life New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Unfortunately it hasn't been maintained at the dealership since ~2010, and the maintenance records are fairly sparse. The toyota owners portal is super handy though!

I didn't get a carfax, but I did use Run a Free VIN Check Instantly - No Credit Card Needed and they didn't note any negative marks. I'm not sure carfax would have more info, but this one does check the NMVTIS database so I think it's pretty legit (and free!).

SFO likes this.
  5. prius-life

prius-life New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I'll have to ask again if it includes a leak down test. I'm not very familiar with compression tests, but it seems like they're mostly only needed for cars with superchargers and not something like a Prius, so I'm leaning towards not getting one. Thanks for the advice!

6. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Your source of information is bad.......or you are reading it wrong.

Compression test is to identify things like piston rings and valves that are worn enough so they aren't working right.
    It applies to ALL piston engines.

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How much are they asking?

Not being dealer serviced is a huge plus they use the worst oil ever and religiously over fill it.

Short of taking off the valve cover and looking at the valve train for oil health I would look closely at the dipstick if its got burnt oil or a varnish on it it has been very poorly maintained.

But your focus main not be right you must also factor in its going to need a new hybrid battery or a rebuilt one very soon based on is low miles.

Main reasons people sell there g2's are:

High miles
    Engine eats oil excessively
    There seeing hybrid battery decay and have seen how much it costs to repair. Look around this forum about how many hybrid battery's are failing on 07 G2's including mine at that same mileage.

A 12 year old Prius is a poor choice for someone who does not know how to wrench on cars nor does not own a voltmeter and uses it frequently. Most people I see on this site who do not have these skills are stopped dead in there tracks with a simple dead 12 volt battery.

8. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    He quoted the price in his first post.
    Then......another chapter in the gospel according to Ed.
    Priceless.

9. Aegean

Aegean Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The leak down test is much more useful than the compression test. However, I would do that as a pre-purchase inspection on an expensive engine. A used Prius engine is just $600 shipped so a $140 leak down test might be excessive. For example, for a used Porsche 911 engine which is about $10000 it makes sense.

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

How much are they asking for the car ********.

Then...another chapter from the nastiest most miserable person on this site.

#10 edthefox5, Sep 16, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2020
  11. prius-life

prius-life New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I got it inspected without any compression test. They did find a few things needed like replacing both the front wheel bearings and the engine water pump, so I was able to talk the price down $1,000. So in the end I paid $4,200 for the car and ~$1,000 in inspections / repairs for it (the top trim package 5) in Southern California.

Seller also gave me paperwork that allegedly warrantees the hybrid battery for another year at the private battery reconditioner he used last year.

Overall I'm pretty happy, and the normal inspection was totally worth it. Time will tell on the engine!

Raytheeagle and SFO like this.