1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pre Purchase Inspection

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by daisy555, Jul 12, 2023.

1. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ha!! My biggest fear is finding a flaw in the paint or Softex. My OCD needs to be in check!!

I’ve spent half my day at the dealership. Couldn’t believe the quick response from dealership commission. They apparently have an agenda to stop these practices.

2. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It was my idea to add the Miller shield. : / I have 2-3 weeks to change my mind but I guess I better decide by tonight so I can adjust the cashiers check. My 2009 cat converter was stolen last year. :(

#62 daisy555, Jul 24, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2023
  3. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Apparently starting with the G4's, they made the cat much more difficult to reach. And Toyota's chief engineer "feels that the newest generation of Prius may be less attractive to thieves due to the reduced amount of rare metals in the catalytic converter".

daisy555 likes this.
  4. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Where did you read this? Help!! Should I not get it? The panic is setting in. Ha! I’m actually using credit card for $2000 of the purchase on the day of the sale. If I change my mind on cat shield, they can adjust my cc amount by $359. I really need to decide by tomorrow.

#64 daisy555, Jul 24, 2023
  5. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn’t realize I was this close until Saturday. Could have been another month. I’ve been waiting since March 2022. Passed on a 2022 due to release of 2023.

6. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    https://www.hydrogenfuelnews.com/hybrid-car-toyota-prius/8556593/

"Toyota Prius Chief Engineer Satoki Oya feels that the newest generation of Prius may be less attractive to thieves due to the reduced amount of rare metals in the catalytic converter."

-Are you leaving your car parked out all night in an unsecured area? That would be the only way you should even consider one. And even then, it's 50/50.

7. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No garage. In view of a main road. My apartment complex parking lot is where it was stolen last time. Someone had theirs stolen in front of businesses in fancy fishing village I used to live in. Broad daylight. I live on the shoreline near a wealthy town. Cars in the more wealthy area and middle class neighborhoods both occasionally get broken into, occasional car thieves lately. An SUV taken for a joy ride…interior trashed. Ugh! I guess it won’t do any harm having it. We have cameras that see nothing! Plus it’s too late once it happens. I don’t know. Service manager said the steel Miller one doesn’t involve drilling into the car. I hope he’s telling the truth. He knows I check on everything!

No one pushed me to get it. They didn’t even know it was available!!

8. HacksawMark

HacksawMark Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Reminds me an old saying: "the only time you'll need it, is when you don't have it"

I will be getting one on mine just for peace of mind.

daisy555 likes this.
  9. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That’s why I was adding it. I need as much peace of mind as possible. I called the police station and they said it’s still happening here. They also confirmed VIN etching doesn’t do much for retrieving stolen vehicles. : )

10. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Hell, if you've got all that going on, you might end up having the entire car stolen! :unsure: It might be someone from this very forum unable to secure their own!! :p:LOL:

The good news is, you get a year's subscription to Toyota's Remote Connect. It has a VERY accurate location tool. Better keep your bike ready to go if you get any alerts! ;):D

daisy555 likes this.
  11. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Doesn't sound like they have much experience installing them. That might be a problem.

12. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    He said they have installed a few. I meant the sales person didn’t know about it. I just watched a video and no drilling. Can’t wait until I don’t have to think about this anymore. Read the manual. Worry about where to park! Oh and go on a fun road trip somewhere.

#72 daisy555, Jul 24, 2023
    bisco and Preebee like this.
  13. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Fun road trips are guaranteed!!!

My tires are NOT going to last lol... so much fun to drive.

14. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    What a time for the site to be down all day! :unsure:

What happened @daisy555 ?!

15. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Another update :oops: after a day of no Prius Chat access!

Can you believe I stalled on the test drive until tomorrow but went to visit my Prius tonight with a friend. Mostly because I wasn’t feeling well today but I’m waffling!! I kind of freaked when I woke up this morning. Did I make a mistake? Is this the right car for me. I’ll probably learn to love it as I love my 2009 but the 2009 was such a sure decision.

I keep wondering why I’m not as excited as I should be. I think because it’s so ridiculously eye catching and sleek looking. Yes, I know that sounds insane!! but I’m a 60 old artist/gardener who wears clogs and even occasionally wears overalls. Maybe once there are more on the road I won’t feel so awkward.

I really was hoping for a chance to test drive the Corolla Cross Hybrid before purchasing the Prius. Any time I see a pic of the Cross Hybrid in Acidic Blast my heart sings. Mostly for the extra cargo space and the height of the seats. I think eventually the initial fun would wear off and who knows maybe I’d get sick of the color and be really missing the fuel economy and driving experience of the Prius. When I was able to sit in a Cross it felt very boxy and the angle of the windshield felt rather strange to me. There is a sold one sitting on the lot and my friend said the windshield looked weird to her too. Strange angle and smaller than her Forester windshield. Plus reading about people having issues with roof cross bars being poorly designed. Oh and my Prius Chat buddy Wil reminding me that SUVs aren’t as safe as they are cracked up to be.

Anyway my friend admitted she wouldn’t buy this Prius but she does like it despite thinking it looks kind of “spaceship ish”. :)

“Girls Guide To Cars” reviewers told me they thought overall I’d probably be happier with the Prius and its long term reliability.

BTW the rear bumper appliqué is a complete joke. It’s so tiny and only covers the edge of the bumper and maybe an inch or so above and below. Oh well…

Wish I could find a Corolla Cross Hybrid to test drive tomorrow too.

bisco, Roqu3 and Preebee like this.
  16. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know!! I was going nuts.

17. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    You're definitely lucky to be getting a test drive first. I suppose I could have taken one, but I was smitten before I ever drove to pick her up. There was no other competing love interests lol. It was always the Prius. ZERO regrets.

But I'm not in need of major hauling capacity either, so there's that. Can't wait to hear about your test drive!

18. Nntw

Nntw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    THIS CAR LOOKS TOO SPACESHIP ISH?!

I've heard Gen4 described as 'robot catfish' (thank you Globe and Mail) and thought that was an absolutely perfect description...even if it didn't acknowledge the 1959 Impala tail lights in its styling dna.

Seriously for a moment... every review I've read on the Prius- particularly the Prime- has been highly favourable

Buy it with peace of mind... and if a year from now you don't like it, you'll still do fine when you re- sell it.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would be happy to find a car without the 'greenhouse' affect. windshields are getting more and more sloped for aerodynamics.
    i can't reach the front of the dash in the gen 3.

20. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Not seeing any "greenhouse effect" in mine. At least no plants have sprouted up on my person or in the cabin to date. ;)

Temps are cool compared to my G4, but that car was black and this is white. AC is more powerful IMO which I discuss ad nauseum in the hypermiling checklist thread.

You will need to send out an expedition team to find the end of the dash in the G5. :LOL: This is the price you pay for Baby Lambo/Ego benefits.

HacksawMark and bisco like this.