1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pre Purchase Inspection

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by daisy555, Jul 12, 2023.

1. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Help I have a question. Anybody here to help?

2. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I’m at the dealership. There is an issue with something that I have to look at constantly. Wondering if someone could look in their rear view mirror and see if you have this issue too. The center head rest is slanted. It’s something I’ll have to look at for the life of the car. It’s really noticeable to me as I look in rear view mirror.

3. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I'll go check mine. Did you drive it??

daisy555 likes this.
  4. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes I took it for a highway drive etc. Then I agonized over Cross Hybrid due to hitting side of my head twice on the side panel of Prius along window frame area while reaching to close my door to take off for drive.:(

We convinced the salesman to let my drive a sold cross hybrid in back parking lot. Felt so cheap and I could tell it wasn’t for me. So relieved at least to let go of the Cross! Took Prius for another drive and love it except needing to be careful with my head. That’s when I saw the lopsided headrest in rearview mirror!

#84 daisy555, Jul 26, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2023
  5. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    You will only like driving more, the more time you spend in it. Watch your head!! :D

upload_2023-7-26_16-46-59.png

upload_2023-7-26_16-47-45.png

Might just be an optical illusion. Truthfully, I don't really use my rearview mirror much. I doubt I'd notice for days if it fell to the floor lol.

Don't sweat the tiny details. They will all fade away in time, much like many of the imperfections in your 2009. Just lock that baby down and go for a driiiiiiiive. :cool:

Or don't. Your choice. :)

daisy555 likes this.
  6. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    If your headrest's stuffing is slightly out of whack, just sit a book on it overnight and I bet it will look better. Or maybe remove it (is it removable?) and take it to an upholstery shop. You'll have the straightest headrest on the planet when they're done. :LOL:

7. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for photos. They have another one coming in over the next couple of days for someone else. Same identical XLE AWD. They will see if it’s the same. Obviously can’t have that one if it’s better because someone’s name is on it. If the other one is crooked maybe it’s just how they are. It wouldn’t be so noticeable if the background was the window like in my 2009. Because the background is a straight line it’s more noticeable.

8. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I look in my 2009 rear view mirror a lot. Also might depend on your height as to what you see.

I went to sit in passenger’s seat without thinking and almost decapitated myself. o_O Luckily I don’t have many passengers.

The first thing I noticed when I got into the car was the passenger dashboard area has that fake, multi shades of black and gray leather look. Almost looked like it was dirty and needed to be wiped off. I guess I will get used to it but who the heck made that decision.

Otherwise I love how it handles the road! Fun to drive! I did notice a weird sound when braking that I’m not used to. I don’t feel claustrophobic in it and seats are comfortable despite head rest touching the headliner. : }

Did you have rubber pieces in your glove box that go under the car like previous years?

The screw on cap that goes on each tire stem or whatever you call it were about to fall off. Tech didn’t screw them on all the way. I made them more secure but they looked like they were almost too small. Minor detail but you could see the brass looking threads.

#88 daisy555, Jul 26, 2023
    theRob and Preebee like this.
  9. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Glad you got to drive it! It only gets better the more you do...

daisy555 likes this.
  10. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not removable. I think the softex is more challenging to work with than the fabric.

11. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    It's not so much slanted as slightly asymmetrical. The side of the headrest is more gently flared on the 60% side, but it needs to come down more sharply on the 40% side because the break between the seats is in the way. If it looks slanted, I think that's mostly optical illusion. But you can always bring a small level with you next time to see how much it slants, if any.

12. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I did see that the design is asymmetrical. The top of the headrest definitely has a slant on mine. It has a little bump along 1/3 of the top of it as well which doesn’t help the situation. I know I’m picky but I wouldn’t care as much if it wasn’t dead center of where I look. I tried gently softening and molding it a little but nothing changed.

Hopefully the other one will come tomorrow so I can see if it’s the same or straight.

At least maybe I will sleep tonight.

13. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    So you decided not to buy the new prius you test drove?

14. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It’s still technically on hold for me but I need to find out if the one coming in tomorrow is also slanted before making my decision. I know it might sound crazy but it’s right in the center of my rear view.

#94 daisy555, Jul 26, 2023
  15. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Any suggestions for @Ansari? He posted about a crack on his Prius in the post “2023 Prius upon delivery issues”.

#95 daisy555, Jul 26, 2023
  16. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I checked mine using the level function of the IOS Measure app on my iPhone. It showed 0° of slope when I measured it by standing the iPhone on top of the headrest on its long edge.

17. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for checking. I think it comes down to the skill of the person who puts the headrest together. The softex looks a bit more challenging than the cloth. I noticed the photos on the website look like a more refined center headrest than the one I saw today. Maybe digitally created.

18. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like the dealer has already listed my Prius on Auto Trader. : / Anyone near RI want a 2023 Prius XLE AWD for $34,319? They know I’m not going to be happy with the headrest and need to move it fast. Sales manager ran out to smoke the moment I left the dealership.

Who knows maybe the customer coming in for the next arrival will not like the lower seating and I could get that one…before they VIN etch it!

Considering the few Prius and Primes they’ve received there have definitely been people who have changed their minds. I think it’s the drastic change in seat height and lower roof line. Plus I forget that a lot of people around here don’t mind depositing $500 just to test drive a new model car with no intentions of buying it. Would love to know statistics on how many people love the car but reject it due to new lower seating design.

Funny that they’re listing it at the original price as if I didn’t add the ridiculous $69 bumper appliqué.

#98 daisy555, Jul 27, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2023
  19. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm with hammersmith. Headrest looks like it needed to be asymmetrical to be that wide at the bottom and still accommodate the split.

20. Perpetual Waffle

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Popping in to say mine doesn’t look “perfect” from the rearview, looks pretty much fine otherwise. I’d grab that Prius, if I were you, especially if it’s in your preferred color and you know you don’t want a Cross. Could be a while before you see another silver one in your preferred build. But I guess that’s ultimately up to you and if you can live with that bother. I get it, I’m a bit of a perfectionist and asymmetry tends to bother me, but I absolutely have not noticed it when driving.

IMG_9154.jpeg IMG_9155.jpeg

#100 Perpetual Waffle, Jul 27, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2023
    daisy555 and Preebee like this.