1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pre Purchase Inspection

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by daisy555, Jul 12, 2023.

1. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I think you've said you often use the cargo compartment to haul things like gardening and pottery supplies. In your case I would recommend getting the all-weather cargo liner after purchase even if you get the carpet mat package because you like carpet floor mats. The all-weather cargo liner has two rubber panels that cover the fabric backing on the backs of the rear seats. The cargo liner will probably make it easier to slide things in and out of the back(though it will also make it easier for things to slide during acceleration/braking/turns). Though I could be wrong and the rubber material might be "sticky" to hold things in place to prevent cargo shifting.

This is what the whole set looks like. Should cost around $100 including shipping and taxes.
    Part number is PT908-47235-20, which is good for every model and trim except the LE.
    s-l1600.jpg

2. Nntw

Nntw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    EXACTLY!!!! The rear headrests from my mother in law's Civic entered the trunk when she took delivery of the car, and went back on ... twice, maybe, when she had grandkids in the back.

Rest of the time they just reduced trunk space.

3. Nntw

Nntw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Trunk liner's a brilliant accessory. And nothing wrong with a trim-to-fit version

4. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I was talking to a charging person who had a new plug in Hyundai Tucson. It’s quite a nice vehicle, not near as economical as a Prius. I would get it for 37 if a Prius was 37 though, sorry. I mean it’s a plug in. Most are at 50, but I believe the base model is much less. Especially since I use almost 100% on EV at free stations. So what if it draws almost twice as much current to go 35 miles as my 2020, the price is the same.
    Because I detect hesitation in the saga. Is this a really good deal on the 2023 Prius? They get the 09 for $750?

5. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :censored:
    :censored::censored::censored::p

I know it’s painful to watch! Imagine how painful it is for me. Good thing I live alone! Ha!

There was no waffling with the 2009…a sure thing. Just fear about buying one in good shape.

I’ve only purchased one other new car in my entire life. I guess I was hoping for the OMG I love everything about this car feeling when shopping for car. I really just need a practical, reliable, safe, gas sipping vehicle. I would wait until market changes and some new models arrive but I really can’t. Plus I doubt things are going to change over the next couple of years. There will always be something better down the road.
    Thanks so much! Accessory carpet package states it comes with “cargo carpet mat” doesn’t say “liner”. Another busy but more accessible by phone dealer is looking into these details. Toyota corp has no idea.

I didn’t realize the Toyota all weather cargo liner came with sections to attach to the back of seats.

I did notice when I test drove the 2020 a while back the all weather floor mats were very slippery. They thought cleaner might have caused this.

My current arrangement works great keeping in mind I typically keep seats upright. I have carpet covered cargo mat and carpet on back of the seats. I basically keep a tarp on the carpet and have black plastic low sided bins on top of the tarp. Nothing slides around and carpet looks brand new. My goal was to try all weather because I def want all weather on the floors but I had no idea there wouldn’t be a strong sturdy fabric or carpet on the back of the seats.

BTW I do want the Prius…these details are things I overlooked and are important to my long time use of car. Soooooo appreciate your patience!

6. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No they don’t get my Prius. I’m going to sell it separately. Thank you for pointing this out!

ColoradoCrow likes this.
  7. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dealer got back to me and he thinks the carpet mat accessory package doesn’t include carpet on back of seats but he hadn’t seen one. Also said the carpeted version not often seen on allocation list.

8. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    The carpet mat does not cover the back of the rear seats. It's only a single piece and it covers the same area as the big liner in the picture above.

This is the one that's in every model and trim except the LE:
    ezgif-2-733028526b.jpg

9. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I keep saying "except the LE". For anyone who has an LE or is planning to get one, the cargo floor is completely flat from side to side. Because of that, the mat and liner for the LE has "wings" on the sides instead of the straight edge.

All the early reviews were of XLE and LTD trims, so pictures are hard to find. But here is a video review that shows an LE with a cargo liner but not the extra seat pieces(don't know if it didn't come with them or if they just weren't installed). Jump to 4:35 if the video link doesn't already start there.

10. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK… Thank you for this photo! Apparently the Limited Prius and Prime have the thicker upholstery fabric. It’s all going to be ok. Once again I appreciate all of your help and going the extra mile. I have major CPTSD which is why this is so hard for me. It’s a process. I’m almost there!

#130 daisy555, Jul 27, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2023
  11. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    upload_2023-7-28_0-9-12.png

upload_2023-7-28_0-9-49.png

Looks like fine quality to me. Particularly for a compact car. Stitching looks good too.

Attached Files:

12. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, yours looks nice and taught. I’m glad to see what it’s supposed to look like. With “mine” the fabric was loose along the top. That’s what made the material look flimsy and caused concern about attaching the rubber mat. Apparently the Limited and Prime do have an upgraded design and material on back of seats but too expensive for me and I don’t want the glass roof. My 2009 was the top package so there are these little upgraded details I didn’t realize were upgrades.

The headrest situation was slightly better but there is still a lump in the front of it now. If the next one is the same I’ll throw a blanket over it. Yes, I’m going to wait for the next one. Hopefully they will sell it over the weekend so it won’t affect their allocations. I realize I might have to wait longer than expected.

You guys are so amazing taking the time to check on all of these details and concerns AND listening to my escalated anxiety! I’m embarrassed by all of it but it’s what happens to me when making a huge (to me) decision. Wish I could go back and remove some of my long winded posts. : /

#132 daisy555, Jul 28, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2023
    bisco and Preebee like this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    typically, an automobile purchase is second only to the purchase of a house, in terms of major life events.
    it should not be done lightly

Preebee and daisy555 like this.
  14. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    So this ends and everyone is anxious for Season 2. Will she bend to emotion, new car bug, sales pressure, peer pressure, or reverse psychology (don’t buy it, buy something else)? I’ve learned a lot from watching the series so far.

Louis19, bisco and Preebee like this.
  15. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Quite a cliff hanger, huh? Thanks for the giggle! :p

Season 1
    Ep 1: 2022 Silver XLE AWD (but what about the 2023)
    Ep 2: 2020 Blizzard White Pearl XLE AWD (comfy and practical but overpriced)
    Ep 3: Corolla Cross Hybrid XSE (love at first sight but red flags)
    Ep 4: 2023 Silver XLE AWD…Stay tuned! : }

A fairly new friend who likes my Gen 2 pointed out that maybe this is so hard simply because I’ve loved my Gen 2 so much and it’s hard thinking about letting her go. I think she nailed it. Nothing currently compares to her classic charm. : } If my circumstances were different, I might hold on to her longer.

#135 daisy555, Jul 28, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2023
  16. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Maybe you don't have to get rid of her? Just slowly fix her up over time. Then you've got a backup.

#136 Preebee, Jul 29, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2023
  17. GeoJ

GeoJ Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Well I have the all weather cargo mats, and have one cautionary statement for anyone that transports a dog in the hatch, which I do!
    If your car is sitting in the hot sun (pretty much everywhere these days) the cargo mat gets WAY too hot for doggie's feet. My dog happily jumps up into the hatch (and just fits, you need a small to medium size dog) but yesterday as I was driving off I notice he was picking up his feet alternating quickly. Luckily I realized it was too hot for the paws and immediately stopped and put him in the back seat. I should have thought of it, but it is a problem unique to the plastic material of the all weather liner, would not be a problem, I don't think, with just the carpet.

daisy555 and Preebee like this.
  18. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    My pup chills on a beanbag, covered by a soft blanket in the passenger side back seat. I've done this her whole life. God bless the Prius, its electric AC, and the little mechanical key that allows me to lock all doors with the car in ready mode. :love:

daisy555 likes this.
  19. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is is a very good point. Ouch!

When I was trying to resolve the issue regarding the loose fabric attached to the rear seats I inquired about getting an XLE with the entire cargo space carpeted like the 2009. Apparently the carpet option only includes carpet floor mats and a carpet cargo mat not a fully carpeted cargo liner. The back of the seats have the same fabric that you get when you order the all weather mats. My 2009 has a really nice thick carpet layer attached to the back of the seats which matches the cargo carpet mat. If anyone has a 2023 Prius that came with carpet mats, I would love to confirm this.

Dealership (not the one I’m working with) confirmed that finding a 2023 with carpet floor mats is just has hard as trying to find a FWD on the allocation list in New England. I would love to find out what you get if you don’t order the carpet mat/emergency kit bundle or the all weather mat bundle. I guess you get a car with no mats at all?

20. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Aw…I didn’t realize the mechanical key allowed for that. This topic just keeps on giving!

Preebee likes this.