1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Precollision unavailable

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mike091020, Jan 4, 2017.

1. tucatz

tucatz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    PDF available?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately, no. We were just using the forum's post to fill it in. It's also a live document so it gets updated from time to time.

RCO likes this.
  3. mike091020

mike091020 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It has been a while and I've gotten nowhere yet. The first trip to the dealer got me nothing. There was a code that told them nothing and since it was working at that point, there was noting to do. It failed again and this time I drove it straight to the dealer with the message on the screen and they worked on it for a while. Again, they could come up with nothing. At this point they said they found body damage and though that might be it. I told them it was in a minor tap from a driver turning to make a turn while my wife was waiting for the light. The dealer seized on that as the problem and said it they would have to tear up the front end. I pointed out that THEY had done the repair and so if there was a problem it was STILL their problem. Without missing a beat he said to get an extension to the insurance claim to cover the work they had to do. Sheeeesh.

At this point we are working with the insurance company to get the case reopened so we can continue. I'll post more when I get more. At this rate, it could be more months. I'm becoming disappointed with the dealer. The last time I had a tire pressure alert and the dealer said I had a nail in the tire and it was a slow leak. He quoted $200 for the tire and he did not have it in stock. Lucky for me. I took the car to my local mechanic and he plugged the tire for $15. He was bewildered as to why the dealer did not fix it for me. When I told him that the dealer had said it was in the sidewall and unrepairable, my mechanic showed me it was right in the center of the tire. As I said, disappointing. As soon as I get this problem fixed, I'll take furore work to my mechanic.

RCO likes this.
  4. mike091020

mike091020 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I thought I'd update this story a bit. I did not realize how long I've been fighting to get this fixed. The pre-collision is in a hard failure now, and cruise control no longer works either ... at least intermittently. So my wife got to the insurance company and had them reopen the claim. I sent the info to the dealer the very next day and brought the car in a few days later. After a couple of hours, I was told that they had to call the insurance company ... which is what they said they did when I gave them the info and they told me to bring it in. They also said they needed a tool and a part and would have them airfreighted to them. Now this is puzzling, how do they know what tool and what part they need if they tell me they don't know what is wrong?

In any case, I took my car home and about a month later I am STILL waiting for them to act. The last word was ... you guessed it ... they are AGAIN waiting to hear from the insurance company. This is kind of a shame. I really loved my dealer. I had a great experience with them when I bought the car. They went above and beyond to help me with my purchase. But now that I'm a customer, I seem to be on my own. I reached out to the owner of the dealership but have not heard back yet.

Has anyone heard anything about this pre-collision problem? Anyone else had it?

I guess the other issue is that I have 23K miles on the car now so it goes out of warranty very shortly. What do you think? Is it time to write to Japan for help? I'm starting to get a sense of de javu ... it feels like the HID headlight problem all over again.

5. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the insurance claim has been reopened, your insurance agent or company should be able to fight this for you.
    Contact Toyota USA and file a complaint. You may want to PM @Prius Team here. They are Toyota USA marketing for Prius.

RCO likes this.
  6. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Although you think you are a customer of that dealer, expect they only look at those buying a vehicle as customers. They are then considered former customers until it is time to buy again.

RCO likes this.
  7. mike091020

mike091020 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you for that suggestion. The dealer monitors this forum and he just got back to me. I was kind of hair trigger because of the endless waiting with no end in sight. Fortunately, the owner of the dealership is a calm person. I just got a call from the Service Manger (no doubt prompted by the intervention by the owner) and it looks like the log jam may be breaking up. YAY.

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  8. mike091020

mike091020 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Been there, done that, have a nice collection of scars to show. So far, this dealer has been great. I never thought I'd say it but I'm quite happy with them. Of course things could always go south. Fingers crossed.

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  9. mike091020

mike091020 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    O.K. Another couple of months have gone by. They "fixed" it by realigning the radar sensors. It was out of alignment by 0.5 degrees or something like that. YAY, it was fixed ... up until it wasn't. Same old problem is back ... no pre-collision and no cruise control. Now new symptoms:

- the Nav system freezes and,
    - the hands free Bluetooth phone can't hear the other side of the call.

<sigh>

It has been four and a half hours and I checked with them and was told that the radio software was out of date and needed updating and that would fix everything. (Any of you think that will be the case? Anyone want to buy a bridge in NYC?)

My only problem with the Prius USED TO BE that it was made by Toyota. A really disreputable company. Now it seems as if they can't make a car anymore. I'm thinking that this is my last Prius. Time to try something new. Maybe a Tesla? O.K. Time to get my 10th cup of coffee ....

10. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I hope that is not Toyota coffee... :eek: :LOL:

RCO likes this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    All these bells and whistles can become discordant. (n)

RCO likes this.
  12. Jdmarcum

Jdmarcum New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring

I have had so many problems with my prius it is unbelievable. Last fall the cruise control was unavailable. Dealer didnt know what was wrong. They had to reach out to Canada for ideas on how to fix it.My whole radio/nav would power up and then power down while in reverse ( @ first) and then just whenever. Dealership didn't believe me that it was doing that so they did the update. It hasn't done that since.

Now my pre collision system is unavailable. I have cleaned the emblem and it still isn't working. I am out of the warranty. So this should be fun.

Btw my friend got into a little fender bender and to replace the emblem alone cost between 400-600 dollars.

Im not sure they had all the kinks worked out!!

13. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How can you be out of warranty with a 2017 Prius?????

14. Jdmarcum

Jdmarcum New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring

I drive for my job...roughly 200 miles a day. Didnt buy the extended warranty because again I would be out of the warranty in a year and still be stick paying for the warranty.

15. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your profile says 2017 Three Touring.

16. Jdmarcum

Jdmarcum New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I'm sorry..I updated profile..

Prodigyplace likes this.
  17. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah, I understand now. My commiserations go to you and I wish you good luck.

Perhaps you could call Toyota USA and let them know what has happened then they might help out. Your dealership seems to be a few sandwiches short of a picnic and don't seem at all concerned for your welfare as a customer. Also there is an online presence which @Prodigyplace will give you and maybe poke the US rep who follows this forum. Sorry, I keep forgetting the specifics but PP is a real good egg.

#37 RCO, Jul 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  18. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Wow. I have a thread going in the 4th Gen Prius subforum about the pre-collision system unavailable message. They also told me it was because the sensor was damaged due to an external hit, but in my case, there was absolutely no accident/collision between the time there was no message and the time it came on. They pointed out some very minor damage around the emblem that's barely visible - I have no idea where it came from - but it definitely didn't occur recently. When I asked how something so minor could cause a system failure, all they could say was that it's very sensitive.

PRE-COLLISION SYSTEM UNAVAILABLE | PriusChat

BTW, I am still under warranty and they won't cover it because they say it's damaged due to external factors. I went to two different dealers and they said the same thing. Both said they would start by recalibrating to see if that fixes it, which would cost around $350. If it doesn't, they would have to replace the sensor.

#38 PriusRos, Sep 2, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  19. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Probably was hit by someone whilst parked up. :(

PriusRos and RCO like this.
  20. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Last resort would be an insurance claim, but I'd persevere with Toyota for a while yet. Can you get a let the media know about your struggle? Bad publicity can often get the big wheels involved.

PriusRos likes this.