1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Precollision unavailable

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mike091020, Jan 4, 2017.

1. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Today, the error message was no longer there! If it comes back, I might talk to the insurance adjuster. I wouldn't put in a claim for recalibration because it's less than my deductible, but I might talk to them to ask them what they think. I've already talked to Toyota Care and they say the depend on the dealer to determine whether it's a warranty issue - and I've been to two dealers.

RCO likes this.
  2. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. I'm following your progress with amiable interest and feel for your sense of impotence with garages and dealers. It's excellent that someone like @Elektroingenieur is is as knowledgeable and willing to guide you along. I really hope the fault has cleared itself and never returns, but wish you best of luck from now on. (y)

PriusRos and kithmo like this.
  3. John Wash DC

John Wash DC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    The pre-collision system and radar cruise control on my 2016 Prius stopped working after I drove through a serious winter storm on the interstate. Snow, ice, and salt covered the Toyota badge on the front. Hand washing it didn't solve the problem. The flashing yellow warning light annoyed me and I missed the radar cruise control.

After several days and a couple of hundred miles, I figured I'd have to take it to the dealer. My last effort was to put the car through an automatic car wash. I paid two dollars extra to wash the under side of the car. Around 20 miles later I noticed the warning light was no longer flashing. The PCS and radar cruise control are working again.

PriusRos likes this.
  4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you clean the windshield in front od the rear view mirror? There is a camera up there used for collision detection.

PriusRos likes this.
  5. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I suppose it is possible the cold and snow interfered with the radar cruise, but the windscreen wipers will generally keep the camera part of the screen clear when used. Possibly higher ambient temperatures and the warmth of the car wash combined to clear up the offending sludge. BTW, Toyota report that dynamic cruise control is unreliable in heavy precipitation.

PriusRos likes this.
  6. John Wash DC

John Wash DC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    After I got home I washed by hand the entire car, including the windshield where the camera is located (and confirmed there was no condensation inside). It didn't resolve the problem.

On earlier occasions I lost the radar cruise when driving in snow and ice, and engaged the non-radar cruise. On those occasions I immediately got the dynamic cruise control back after cleaning off the Toyota badge. Not this time.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  7. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Where are my manners? :(

I forgot to say Welcome to PriusChat!

Don't be a stranger.

RCO likes this.