1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"predicted reliability rating is below average"

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by KeinoDoggy, Apr 25, 2021.

1. KeinoDoggy

KeinoDoggy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ran across this article while looking for reliability opinions of the Prime. Presently have a 2012 Prius and am thinking of getting a 2021 Prime. First off, I don't know what their opinion is based on. I know the problems that seem to be somewhat common on 3rd gen Prii but hoping not to have to worry about buying a Prime and dealing with things like the EGR and engine damage the 3rd gen has. Any opinions on the Prime on reliability?

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/toyota/prius-prime

2. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Consumer Reports rates it’s reliability as “Far above average”.

#2 schja01, Apr 25, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
    Tande, MPGboss, kenoarto and 3 others like this.
  3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It is an elaborate effort to mislead, a claim without any substance.

Notice how the section provides a title: "Prius Prime Reliability" then a question: "Is the Toyota Prius Prime Reliable?" followed by an answer: "The 2021 Prius Prime has a predicted reliability score of 64 out of 100." That seems legit until you notice the "Read more about reliability" link is in the wrong place, down in warranty section instead. When you click it, nothing is actually provided for either. All you get is a key showing that 64 is in the "Fair" category. There is nothing whatsoever telling you why.

In both the main article and the more-info page, it mentions that score is based upon the J.D. Power scale, giving you the impression it is a measurement from J.D. Power itself. But when you actually follow the "64/100 J.D. Power" link they provide, it only shows a list of all automakers. You have to look up the vehicle to find detail. Matching to the vehicle featured "2021 Toyota Prius Prime" of the article, it reveals "Not Yet Rated". The same is true for 2020, 2019, 2018, and 2017.

They send you on a wild-goose-chase, knowing most people will never go to that length to find out how that supposed "64" rating came about. There is literally nothing to support it. The claim is meritless.

Over the years, we have learned not to trust conclusions without data. There are far to many wanting to undermine success, hoping you'll take whatever they say at face value. Do the research. See for yourself. Reason to accept their claim is no where to be found.

Tande, MPGboss, Hicksite and 6 others like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    overall, with the exception of a few common glitches, experiences so far here seem to be that of great reliability, in keeping with past prius performance, and possibly better than gen3.

Tande, kenoarto and KeinoDoggy like this.
  5. Dennis_MA

Dennis_MA Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    This is my third Prius. I had a 2012 model 4 and a 2017 and 2020 Primes. Just the standard scheduled maintenance. I think I replaced the tires and wiper blades on the 2012. No complaints.

kenoarto and Raytheeagle like this.
  6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    They are going by J.D. Power, which is just a survey from owners, and then there is this, "its available infotainment system can be difficult to operate." A poor user experience with such systems has lead to drops in reliability ratings in these surveys, including CRs, even though nothing is actually broken on the car. People new the hybrids can even ding the car for not being familiar with the sounds coming from the brake system.

That's the limitation on these surveys vs reliability measurements that look at the number of actual repairs, or condition of years old cars.
    Without data on the actual model or model year. Consumer Reports would default to what the manufacturer or our previous year got for a rating, so this practice seems normal. Now, CR may mention that it isn't for the model or year itself, but I have seen them give good predicted reliability to one model and not another of the same age in the same issue without explanation.

Zythryn likes this.
  7. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Mine has been reliable. 2017 with 47k miles, it's only been to the dealership for the f̶r̶e̶e̶ prepaid oil changes. I've seen rare comments here about repairs needed. Ordinary maintenance has been in line with expectations and the owner's manual. There is no perfect car. If ours was gone, we'd buy another.

8. Washingtonian

Washingtonian Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I am starting to lose faith in Consumer's Report's judgement on autos. Just read an article from them stating that the Tesla was unsafe because you could operate the self driving software while sitting in the passenger seat. However, in order to do that, you would have to attach a chain to the steering wheel to spoof the car that your hand was on the wheel. I wonder if they think that their readers are that stupid?

9. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Friends were following another person to a destination. At some point of the drive, that guy moved into the passenger seat and continued driving the car. Most rural postal carriers drive LHD cars from the passenger side while delivering mail. they are the only ones legally allowed to do so, but many cars can be driven from the passenger side by those willing. This isn't a new risky driving behavior.

10. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I find it utterly absurd that a car's reliability rating would be based on experience with the infotainment system.

Tande likes this.
  11. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Tanked my Subaru's ratings too! But honestly, who would design a car that turns on the radio every time you start it?

12. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    These surveys are basically asking owners what they think is wrong with the car.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  13. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Without knowing what "reliability" they are measuring, it would be next to impossible to predict the reliability of the PP in the future. Yeah, if they are talking exclusively about say traction battery reliability, I really don't think there are any statistically demonstrated reliability issues found in any model year of PP out there. Nither on the engine reliability, IMOH. But my feeling is that those reliability issues do not come to the surface until the car is older. The oldest PP is now only ~4 years old on the road.

14. MoonBeams

MoonBeams Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    J.D. Power has been called out in the past for selling "reliability scores" to the highest bidder. GM products tend to be at the top of their reliability rankings, which anyone who knows anything about cars knows that is not the case. I think Dodge is also scoring high, which is just not realistic for a FCA product. I would at the very least take this data with a grain of salt.

Tande and GSK like this.
  15. EdPalmer42

EdPalmer42 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    Am I missing something? You guys are talking about Consumer Reports, but the report mentioned by the OP is from US News & World Report. Are they part of Consumer Reports?

16. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My car went to the dealer for the first inspection and tire rotation which they messed up. The only other time I took it to a trusted dealer was for the wire harness inspection recall and there were no issues found. I have done my own oil and filter changes and no other issues.

Tande likes this.
  17. Washingtonian

Washingtonian Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The OP cited a report by US News & World Report. The first reply cited Consumer's Reports. Then JD Powers came into the conversation. I think the consensus is to not put much stock in to any of these 3rd party reports.

Salamander_King likes this.
  18. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've always been amused that people who ALREADY BOUGH a car get their knickers in a knot whenever some jurno slags it in a publication that they would not otherwise read.

As far as a Prime?
    I would expect higher rates of failure with these cars over their wireless cousins because they have more subsystems that can (and given how Toyota's wire tastes to mice!) WILL fail over time.
    PHEVs still have that fading afterglow of eco-chiciness that gives their owners a little more forgiving attitude when it comes to....the little things, and truth be told, Yotas have always been pretty good where OVERALL reliability is concerned.
    So.....if you're fuming about some rating?
    I'm thinking that's more of a "you" thing than a Prius thing.

As far as customer satisfaction?
    They always take these surveys in the salad days of ownership, when the new owner is still gushing with excitement over that new car smell.
    In other words?
    It's like the Oscars.

Example:
    Tesla....a car that's about as free from "minor stumbles" as a political press conference.
    AND YET......they always knock it out of the park with owner fanaticism scores.
    "Statistically" speaking....they're THE BEST cars on the planet. ;)

If they (and Toyota) keep selling every one they make then THAT is what makes them 'good cars'....especially when many Prius owners are REPEAT Prius owners.......well.....until they go completely ICE free.

AS ALWAYS
    YMMV

#18 ETC(SS), Apr 26, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
    Tande likes this.
  19. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think TOYOTA is confident with the car.

Here, in Australia, they put a 5 year UNLIMITED kilometre warranty on the car.

And the drivetrain/engine, if serviced as per handbook (not necessarily by a dealer) - 7 years, unlimited.

AND, 10 years, unlimited kilometres on the Hybrid Battery - IF "you undertake your annual inspection as part of routine maintenance according to the vehicle logbook."

Hyundai only puts 5 yrs on the car, only 8-year or 160,000km on IONIQ battery.

[NB that's on private vehicles - commercial applications like TAXIs etc have different warranty provisions]

Prodigyplace likes this.
  20. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For perspective my son had his 2005 Prius for 10 years before trading it in on his Prius v. Other than oil, filter, and tire changes he had to replace the HID headlight bulbs. He replaced the 12 volt battery after 8 years not because it failed but because it was old and he did not want to be stranded. He would have performed a coolant change but that was done as part of a recall. You can’t ask for more reliability than that. He drove his small dogs to many dog shows and agility competitions. He bought the Prius v to have more room for his dogs.

Tande and alanclarkeau like this.