Predictive Regenerative Braking

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by Silent Propulsion, Aug 12, 2017 at 1:41 PM.

1. Silent Propulsion

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Regarding predictive regenerative braking, is there a trick or tallent to getting the green dots/leaves on the map? I try at certain locations with no success varying my braking. Then out of nowhere i get one or two to pop up. This has been very intermitttent too. Anybody have success with this feature?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. Mark57

Mark57 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There's a section in the manual that goes into it but you have to pass the same location several times for it to get enough data on it to make a recommendation. If you drove the same route every day, It'd take about a week. More varied routes only get remembered as you re-drive them.

3. Alan Winston

Alan Winston New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That feature is something I had missed, and good news: obviously it is tracking GPS, so suggests that more useful topography- and traffic-based predictive regen/charging could conceivably be a software + map data upgrade away - ala forthcoming (overdue?) Kia Nico plug-in: "For the mileage obsessed, Kia offers an Eco Driving Assistant system with coasting and predictive energy-guide features. Using information from the GPS-linked navigation system, it coaches drivers on when to brake, coast, and use road topography to best consume or preserve energy." I might actually start routinely using routing (entering destination, not getting audio turn-by-turn), since obviously that should benefit a system like that.

I think about stuff like that a lot, with this daytrip ...
    Screenshot 2017-08-13 at 07.55.21.png
    ... being part of my thought exercise. And yes, the two higher passes are both over 4000 ft, the lowest elevations are just above sea level. And just to add interest, that more-or-less level stretch around 60-70 milepoints is a construction zone, where my next door neighbors lost two and a half hours, creeping along at ~5 mph, last week (right to left). I've done the loop (with various starting points), several times over the decades, and the first or third passes, over and back, many many times. Haven't been able to much by myself for a quite a while, but intend to again once i have adaptive cruise control, etc.

I'd like to at least have the option to see a profile like this, with current position shown, whenever I have a route shown on the nav. Take advantage of some of that large vertical screen.

4. Raelx

Raelx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I drive very predictable routes but after a few months i have the leaves at every stop sign, most lights and a few longer downhill sections. There are a few spots i can see it increasing the regen braking without me touching either pedal, this is when approaching a leaf. SO it does work. Wish i had some actual long down hill sections, but CT does not offer a lot of elevation.

priuscatprimeguy likes this.