1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Preliminary 2010 mph vs MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by bwilson4web, May 29, 2009.

1. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That's what I learned back in physics class. Force= (1/2)mass(velocity)^2 minus (1/2)(drag coefficient)(velocity)^2.

It appears, according to wikipedia, that there is more involved in this equation than what I seem to remember from college: [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_force"]Drag (physics) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

:car::plane:

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just think of the time you will save while using the same amount of gas!!!

Hey Bob, great graphs, thanks!
    On these preliminary results I'd drive at 70mph rather than 65mph because the increase in consumption seems minimal for the increase in speed. I wonder if Toyota engineers have set things up to be most efficient at 110km/h or 70mph because it's a pretty common speed limit on the open highway and highway driving is seen as a weakness of the GenII Prius.

I'd avoid driving at 65mph and drive at 60 for economy or 70 if time is a concern. Of course if time is in abundance and economy is the greatest priority it's 50mph all the way, but I value my time.

I understand this is early days and more data is needed for accurate reporting.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I picked up another data point Friday afternoon going over to get the floor mat hooks:
    • 67.5 MPG @50 mph, 5.3 mi., 74F, steady cross wind 10-15 mph
    Combined with the 65 MPG from my earlier 50 mph test, the numbers are looking reproducible in the right direction.

BTW, I would love to see others do similar benchmarks. We need to understand this new vehicle, this engineering masterpiece, and careful testing is the touchstone. Nothing like facts and data to disarm the 'honorable competition.'

Bob Wilson

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    so, i didnt track the thread about the type of gas assuming unleaded regular oct 87 E10 was ok... sooo is it ok?

5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Team Prius has reported it is OK. I think we are waiting on an official, press release announcement.

Bob Wilson

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    good....figured as much... would have had a hell of time finding "88" octane anyway

7. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We have a 2010 Prius III with Navi we purchased 05/17/09.

Just got back from Reno Nevada from our honeymoon and obtained 52.7 MPG for well over 1,400 miles.

Used regular grade gas all the time. I believe that Oregon, where we live, is a 10 % Ethanol requirement. (I may be wrong)

When I filled up in Nevada I did not see any mention of Ethanol on the pump.

On the flat I drove both ways north and south at 70 MPH with cruise control and A/C on. Eco-mode.

I did not write down the figures but I believe one way was about 56 MPG on the dash guage and the other way was 54 MPG. Both legs were about 5 miles long and no noticeable wind. Speed limit there in Nevada was 70 MPH. Air temp was about 80 degrees.

So far my dash guage is about 2 MPG off. So my MPG corrected would be about 52-53 MPG.

Note both my wife and me in the vehicle with a very heavy loaded ice cooler.

Alfon

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They've confirmed the typo. It's 87

I know! I can do a lot with 90 seconds :p

9. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Power equals force times speed, since the aero force is proportional to speed squared, power is proportional to speed cubed. And similarily with rolling resistance, a force that is approximately constant vesus speed, but the power requires linearly increases with speed.

Its important to undestand this, because engine efficiency is so power dependant. Fuel consumption per unit time is dependant on engine power.

Check out this web site :

Power Equations Formulas Physics Calculator - Velocity Force

10. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Unfortunately, that is incorrect because you are neglecting to consider that time/distance drops an integer from the exponent. We are talking about a mileage/distance measurement, not acceleration power. You are mixing bases by talking about power in a condition where the time over which the distance is applied is inversely proportional to the function. Power is an incorrect way to measure this.

The Prius Palm Pilot Mileage Simulator Prius Palm Mileage Simulator takes a closer/more rigorous look at the aero losses. While the aero losses increase as a squared function the net increase becomes nearly linear from 40-80 mph. The fixed losses work out to about 125-105 Wh/mile throughout the range, with aero changing from 45 Wh/mile to 180 Wh/mile over the same range.

Other than the single sub-41 mph point the bundled fixed losses decline every mile per hour. I assume that this is because the losses that are purely time dependent (running electrical, etc.) are being incurred for a shorter time for each distance. So their mpg impact is negative first order with respect to velocity.

11. msirach

msirach Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Get to work Al! The old x-gauges don't work. I just got done with a run of over 700 miles and the genII x gauges are dead.
    It makes a good run though. I want to see what it will do after it is broken in for 3 to 5K. This trip was from Effingham, IL to Charlottesville, VA and the car only had 5 miles on it when we left.
    [​IMG]

12. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Power = J/s = N*(m/s). You are right that Power equals force times velocity. However, Newtons is kg*m/(s^2). The meters are not squared. So, this is Not velocity cubed. This is (kg/s)(m/s)^2
    (I apologize that I did not click on your web link - I will, when I get more time)

Anyways, can someone explain to me mathematically why the 1.8L engine gets better highway MPG than city MPG while the gen2 1.5L gets the opposite? (yes, I have ridden a "ten speed" bicycle and I know that it takes a lot of force and power when going fast in the highest gear, and I understand that a 1.8L has more torque and lower rpm than the 1.5L, but isn't the net "power" output going to be the same? And so, if gasoline is energy, and power is energy per unit time, shouldn't the gasoline consumption at a given constant speed (60mph, for example) be the same?)

13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I have simplified the math but you'll need this for later but the relationship is:
    • velocity = displacement / time
    • work = force * displacement
    • power = work / time
    So move the 'work' term into the 'power' formula:

power = (force*displacement) / time
    power = force * displacement / time
    power = force * velocity

For aerodynamic drag:

aero_force = k * (v**2)

aero_power = (k * (v**2) ) * velocity
    aero_power = k * (v**2) * v
    aero_power = k * (v**3)

Now this is just rough math with a lot the calculus and fine details left off.

In words, the larger engine generates more torque, a force, at a fixed rpm than a smaller engine. To get the same power, the smaller engine has to turn faster. But the engine drag loss goes up as the engine turns faster because the internal parts, the pistons, have to travel a further distance sliding against the cylinder walls. So a larger, slower turning engine will tend to have less internal drag losses, the pistons don't have to slide as far against the cylinders, than a smaller, faster turning engine.

Another way to see it is the power generated by combustion varies by the volume, a cubic function, but the primary drag, the piston rings varies by the piston area, a square function.

Both the 1.8L and 1.6L engines can produce 30 hp needed to keep a Prius body at 75 mph:
    [​IMG]

The engine efficiency term you are looking for is called Brake Specific Horse Power (BSFC), which is a measure of how efficiently the chemical energy of the fuel is converted into mechanical energy. But at 75 mph, the 1.6L engine will be turning over 2,500 rpm with more internal drag losses than the 1.8L engine turning under 2,500 rpm and in a more efficient power region:
    [​IMG]
    Any minor increases in speed or grade cause the 1.6L engine to rapidly go into higher energy loss, lower efficiency power regions (aka., the red dots disappear.)

As the power requirement slacks off, both engines turn slower and slower and there are regions where their BSFC overlap. But the 1.8L engine maintains efficient power generation at higher power levels than the 1.6L.

Bob Wilson

14. msirach

msirach Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The 2010 1.8 is geared higher which gives better numbers at highway speeds than the 1.5 gen II. This is the reason for the larger engine.

Driving in the ECO mode at a steady state and pressing the power mode button is like nitros injection unless you back off on the throttle a lot. I haven't seen the torque curve in ECO versus Power, but there is a huge difference. It is like the ECO gives you the power of a 1.0 liter.

I tried the hills in Eastern KY, WV, and Western VA on I-64 in ECO and power modes. It was evident there is a need for power mode and the fcd was reading in the 25 mpg range in either mode. In Eco the engine was very labored though.

15. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll try another angle to Bobs but I cast no doubt on Bob's explanation, he being far cleverer than I.

Not a mathematical explanation but I'll have a go.
    The 1.5 litre engine has less torque than the 1.8 litre.
    To multiply torque the HSD allows the engine to spin faster by allowing MG1 to turn and generate electricity.
    This electricity is fed to the high torque MG2 where it assists to turn the wheels and power the car.

Each time energy changes state there are efficiency losses. When changing from chemical to heat in the combustion chamber there are heat losses to the cooling system, in changing from heat to kinetic there are friction losses.
    Then in MG1 there are further heat losses when converting from kinetic to electric, this and the next 2 are important to our situation.
    There are small transmission losses in the electrical cables and particularly the controls which is why the inverter is cooled.
    Then in MG2 there are more heat losses when electrical energy is converted back to kinetic energy.

Because the 1.8 litre engine produces more torque there is less need for power to go via the electrical path with all its losses from the ICE to the wheels therefore there are less losses in the electric transmission with the larger torquier engine.

If you think this explanation is a load, please feel free to say so.

16. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Bob,

Can you please explain why your description is not overshadowed by partial power losses in the form of negative manifold pressures ? How much has a combination of gearing, valve timing, and gas recirculation obviated these losses ?

17. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    ... Adding my ignorant voice to the question of whether power is related to the square or the cube of speed:

mpg = distance/energy = distance/work
    power*time = work,
    So mpg = distance/power*time = speed/power OR
    mpg*power = speed

Since we know that a linear increase in speed is related to a quadratric decrease in mpg, power must increase as an exponent by (mpg's_quadratic +1). That's as far as my limited math and physics takes me: power is related to speed by something greater than squaring.

18. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    BOB WILSON, THANK YOU!!!! Excellent explantion!!! :) :) :) :) :)
    (what is the "fixed" vs "non-fixed" on the first graph, though?)

PatSparks, your explanation makes perfect sense for city driving, but if I'm correct, the electric motors do not power the car at highway speeds. This discussion is mainly for highway speeds. But, for city, your explanation of the second law of thermodynamics brings things into perspective for the Prius. :)

Sagebrush, "mpg*power = speed" I've never seen it put that way before (LAUGHING). I am laughing with you. You are certainly correct. I have just never seen it written that way before. Thanks. :)
    I understand your logic of (linear)(power) = (something)^4 and therefore power must be ^3 , but I do not have knowledge of mpg decreasing as a quadratic (I'm not saying it does or does not. I do not have any knowledge on the subject. Feel free to enlighten me).

19. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    According to Toyota the cooled EGR can be up to 40% of intake and greatly reduces pumping losses bringing the intake side toward atmospheric pressure.

Wayne

20. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My MFD gauge reads about 1 MPG (2%) generous. My wife's '06 is closer to 4% off. My '04 speedo is also about 2 MPH high (meaning I'm going 65 when it says 67). I presume that means that for every 60 miles I drive, the odo shows 62. Seems like that could add up after a while. The wife's '06 seems to be dead on at 60. Wonder why. BTW, it is true both with my TTs and her Integritys AND with the RSis on both cars. Tests based on Interstate measured mile, both at 60 MPH and resetting Trip B at the start and checking it at the end.